Author Topic: rear pinion flange  (Read 1853 times)

mycollegetoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling like a new born
    • View Profile
rear pinion flange
« on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:19:54 PM »
okay so I got a new thrid member because my pinion was warped. put it in today and went to bolt up my driveline to find out the flange on it is smaller  ??? what the heck is going on? I need help quick....is the smaller flange for the front or something? please help
If you aren't going all the way, why even go at all?

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: rear pinion flange
« Reply #1 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:38:18 PM »
The flange is smaller? Or the bolt pattern is smaller?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2006, 07:53:41 PM »
where did u source this 3rd member? if the flange bolt patterns are different u can pick up a triple drilled flange for like 30 bucks
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2006, 09:30:23 PM »
The flange is smaller? Or the bolt pattern is smaller?

the flange itselfs is smaller. so in return the bolts pattern is too small I have the old flange from my junk third, but if I swap them, I'm looking having to get all new internal parts like crush sleeve and all that stuff don't I?
« Last Edit: Sep 18, 2006, 09:34:48 PM by mycollegetoy »

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2006, 10:01:17 PM »
When ever the flange is changed, the diff should be removed, disassembled and a new crush sleeve, and seal installed. The pinion preload would then be adjusted, and the backlash set accordingly.

However, you can get around the proper procedure if you are careful.

Begin by carefully feeling the pinion preload-how much it take to rotate the pinion before it turns the ring gear. You need to be very precise and only feel the pinion turning not the ring gear and carrier.

I have helped many customers on the phone and have had very good success.

I turn the pinion a couple of times, you will notice that it will turn only about a 1/8th of a turn before it touches the ring gear. Once you get the feel of the pinion rotation, remove the nut, change the flange and carefully tighten the nut until you get the same feel. If you go too tight, it will feel very rough and must be unloosened.
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

prang11

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 105
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Team White Truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2006, 03:02:24 PM »
I did exactly what Marlin said above and have had no problems since I did it about a year ago. 
85 Toyota Pickup, with a sweet hurst shifter!

22R, 33s, 5.29, locked rear, 3" wider, slow.

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2006, 03:53:14 PM »
When ever the flange is changed, the diff should be removed, disassembled and a new crush sleeve, and seal installed. The pinion preload would then be adjusted, and the backlash set accordingly.

However, you can get around the proper procedure if you are careful.

Begin by carefully feeling the pinion preload-how much it take to rotate the pinion before it turns the ring gear. You need to be very precise and only feel the pinion turning not the ring gear and carrier.

I have helped many customers on the phone and have had very good success.

I turn the pinion a couple of times, you will notice that it will turn only about a 1/8th of a turn before it touches the ring gear. Once you get the feel of the pinion rotation, remove the nut, change the flange and carefully tighten the nut until you get the same feel. If you go too tight, it will feel very rough and must be unloosened.

thanks for the info. Marlin. I just bought you triple drilled flange yesterday and should have it by thursday or so. Will do what you said when I get it. Thanks again Marlin....and to everyone else who helped out