Author Topic: Possible 3RZ swap in the near future :)  (Read 3393 times)

NY_crawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 53
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Possible 3RZ swap in the near future :)
« on: Sep 15, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
Background:

My dad has a 99 Tacoma and had a few problems with the engine (burnt valve). Well, the shop screwed up and ended up replacing it, but my dad is picking up the old one. He said the one of the balance rods if stuck/frozen or something. The shop was not too forth coming as to why it froze but he thinks I should be able to get it working again.

I know LCE sells the balance shaft eliminator kit which I will get if this is all that is wrong with it, but the next step is where to get the rest of the parts. The junk yards around here suck and don't have too many toyota trucks, or they want too much $$$ for things.

Any suggestions on where to get the parts that I would need for the swap, which would be just about everything minus the engine itself?

Dose Marlin have any swap parts for sale that are laying? Just looking for for a junk yard that might be able to give me a reasonable price for all the parts I would need and willing to ship them.

Steve_925

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 1,876
  • Member since Feb '07
  • F***in catalina wine mixer
    • View Profile
Re: Possible 3RZ swap in the near future :)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2009, 08:51:16 PM »
just search the for sections, craigslist. here on the west coast there are alot of dismantlers, search for those as well
1973 HILUX build up-------> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48133.new#new

UA 342
STEAMFITTERS

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »
get me a compleate list of all the parts u need, my local c4c yard is going to crush a 97 reg cab 5 spd taco.  it has a siezed up motor , but everything else is there.  i can get the ecu, wiring harness for sure, are u also needing the intake?

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2009, 05:14:04 AM »
get me a compleate list of all the parts u need, my local c4c yard is going to crush a 97 reg cab 5 spd taco.  it has a siezed up motor , but everything else is there.  i can get the ecu, wiring harness for sure, are u also needing the intake?

From what my dad said, the engine will be just a long block. He works in NJ and I am in Buffalo so it might be a few weeks until he gets it back here. I would think it would be a safe bet that I would need everything except the top/bottom ends and the exhaust manifold. I will be going with a mini-header on this. This would include the intake/air box, fuel rail, first few feet of the fuel lines, injectors, emissions junk such as evap, O2 sensor, exhaust collector (maybe the cat?), wiring, ECU, the brackets for PS pump (I will be using my PSC pump) Alt bracket, harmonic balancer, idler pulley, starter and maybe the W59 bell housing  with clutch slave cylinder. I am sure this is not a complete list, but it's all I can think of off the top of my head. I think I will just be going with an electric fan so I would not need the stock one. 

How soon are they going to crush the Taco? If it is the next few days, it would not be worth it until I can see if this engine even will run. I still have more research to do on this project in the mean time.

Also, if you know a ball park price what these parts would cost, that would be great too.

ETA: I guess I will add my current setup.

I have an 85 x-cab that had a carb but I did the EFI swap in. It still has the G series trans so I know I will have to swap that out and get a W56 but should be able to get one fairly cheap I think. I also swapped in an SR5 gauge cluster so I am good on that part I think.

I have the carb gas tank, so would I need the sending unit and pump out for the tacoma? Right now I am running an inline pump (ES1000?) but would like to relocate it as it is under the truck by the frame rail. I had no problems with it thus far, but I would not want it to crap out on me from submerging it in some deep water.
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2009, 07:12:25 AM by NY_crawler »

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2009, 07:24:50 AM »
the taco will be crushed by this weekend

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
the taco will be crushed by this weekend

Dang!
I might have jumped on it, but not expecting this, I will not have funds until next weeks paycheck at the earliest. It also depends on how much the parts were too to see if the paycheck covered them.

Thanks for trying ot give mt the heads up though.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2009, 04:56:42 PM »
well i came into a few bucks and im pulling a bunch of parts to save them from the crusher,
parts i will have by tomorrow are
ecu
engine wiring harness
injectors with fuel rail
starter
alternator
afm
throttle body
evap tank with sensors
coil packs with plug wires

i will see about the intake manifold, and get a price on all of the parts tomorrow
anything else u think u might need?

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 17, 2009, 06:27:33 AM »
well i came into a few bucks and im pulling a bunch of parts to save them from the crusher,
parts i will have by tomorrow are
ecu
engine wiring harness
injectors with fuel rail
starter
alternator
afm
throttle body
evap tank with sensors
coil packs with plug wires

i will see about the intake manifold, and get a price on all of the parts tomorrow
anything else u think u might need?

boggerunner, First I want to say thanks for your help on this! I still do not know if this will happen 100% as I have to see if the engine will even be usable. I would not want you to invest any time and $$$ into this for my sake, especially if something happens and I end up having to put this project off, but I'm sure you would still be able to put it up on any board and sell the parts.

Hmm....well, I think I would also need:

idler pulley
harmonic balancer
W59 bell housing
slave cylinder with it's associated parts (throw arm?)
PS bracket (with bolts)
Alt bracket (think I need to use newer alt as the tacoma uses a different belt)
I assume the wiring includes the fuse box.
Y-pipe maybe?

I think that might be close to everything.

I am sure I could source parts locally, but it is always better and cheaper to get them all at once.

Now, As I have been giving this much thought and reading through BigMike's build, and others, I think if this does happen, it might make it easier on me to also get a full engine and body wiring harness from around an 85 carb truck. This way, I can start on the wiring while sitting in my apartment. At this point, I could take my existing harness and all associated EFI parts and sell them as a 90% conversion kit to help offset the cost.

I know in the 3RZ Knowledge thread BigMike referenced this  OBD-II scanner. http://www.obddiagnostics.com/
I would like to assume the Tacoma with the 3rz would use the BR-3 OBD-II scan tool and I think this would be very useful to get for this project and for other vehicles (like my 2000 Camry).
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2009, 06:45:31 AM by NY_crawler »

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 18, 2009, 07:27:06 AM »
Update:

My Father will be bringing the engine up this weekend  :biggthumpup: so I will be able to take a look at it. I will also try and get some pics if I can remember.

Boggerunner: let me know if you get those parts. 

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
i got some of it, but since its a cash 4 clunkers truck, he wont sell the intake manifold or injectors, i can get everything else.
i already have the ecu, wiring harness, coil packs, afm.
im getting the alternator, starter and power steering pump/bracket/idler today.
do u need all of the sensors like oil pressure, water temp, ect?

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:18:23 AM »
im also grabbing the throttle body.
i dont know if he will sell the bellhousing, but i found them for $75 on carpart.com

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 18, 2009, 09:40:45 AM »
I am wondering how a 97 Taco qualified for C4C when a 1st gen 4runner did not? Oh well.

Yes to all the sensors including both O2 and evap canister The last foot or 2 of the fuel lines would be helpful as well. I am sure I could get the injectors and intake off car-part.  Would same year injector be needed or is there a year range for those?

How much for all that stuff? I am on a tight budget (aren't we all) so I will see how things go this weekend.

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »
Got off the phone with my dad a bit ago. He picked up the engine and parts today and then called me. It seems the shop did a swap and put in a new style 3RZ (This one has 4 intake ports as opposed to 8). They swapped in a new harness, ECM and and everything. So... the engine will be coming with all this.  :biggthumpup: Even the injectors, intake and exhaust manifold. I am not sure what else but will be going to take a look and taking some pictures tomorrow.

Now the bad news. I knew I had to do some assembly with the engine but I guess one of the cams is bad/broken and has to be replaced and also the timing chain. It seems it will take a a lot of work to get this thing back together. I was looking at gaskets sets, timing chain set, oil and water pumps and a cam and is $$$$. :crazy: I have to look, but if the parts are that much, it might be a better to find used engine.

Where can I get good engine parts (other than LCE) that will not kill me?

I will try and update this tomorrow afternoon with pics.

Boggerunner, I might not need as many parts as I thought but I know I will be needing some.

boggerunner

• Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 18, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
ok, let me know, i picked up a few more off it today.

NY_crawler [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 19, 2009, 02:19:02 PM »
Here are some pictures of the engine.

The rust on the cylinder walls is just surface rust. The shop left it outside for about a week. :( When I pulled the oil pan off I looked in the bottom and saw many tool marks where it seemed the shop tried to use a drift to get the balance shaft to spin. Well, it seems they also hit the bottom of the number one piston and also on the block near the cylinder wall. :shake:.

This engine would need a total rebuild in my opinion and for the price of the components and to get the job done correctly, it might not be economically viable for me to use this engine. On the upside, I might be able to sell the stripped head for some cash.

Any opinions as to whether I should rebuild it, junk it or would be appreciated. I don't have the ECU so my dad will be going back over to the shop to try and get the rest of the parts.
« Last Edit: Sep 19, 2009, 02:29:14 PM by NY_crawler »