Author Topic: Wendover B.O.R.E. 150  (Read 3888 times)

SAMI

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Wendover B.O.R.E. 150
« on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:53:38 PM »
We have decided to convert our rock crawling champion 4runner over to a 4400 class desert race truck.. We're going to run this beast in the Wendover 150 next weekend.. Hopefully it all comes together. We are waiting on our fuel cell, seats, and fire suits.. Should come together quickly though. We took the rig from it's years of green spray paint, to a more classic yet retro look to honor the long history of Toyota desert racing..

Our truck a few weeks ago..

How it sits right now, 70% finished...

The 4400 class is a new class for B.O.R.E., as it follows the spirit of the KOH rules and specs. We will be up against 1-2 other teams who have high HP, high dollar rock racing buggies. Our truck sports a 7MGE and is running in tip top shape.. 4.10 gears, removed the hydro-assist for faster steering, and of course the paint job adds HP as well...

I'll keep you posted on how we do. If you feel like helping our club out you can buy raffle tickets here--> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61830.0

Slow and steady wins the race.. slow and steady wins the race...

-Jason

SAMI [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
Re: Wendover B.O.R.E. 150
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:48:24 PM »
Here's a quick video.. I only have the on-board footage at the moment to work with.. We'll make another video when we can..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PbZiLbBdo

SAMI [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2009, 09:54:14 PM »
Post race shots of the rig.. (post victory roll-overs)..

SAMI [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 22, 2009, 08:59:55 AM »
The MountainYoats team owes alot of people for us being there. We knew we were the underdog, we had no clue what we were getting into.. I prepared myself by watching Dust to Glory over and over.. Been doing that for years anyways ;).. Some of the bigger teams gave us pointers Friday night which was really cool.

We worked our Supra 7MGE motor hard! It overheated numerous times per lap, but never gave up. We pulled a 9 car up the rocky/silt hill on lap 1, he then caught us through the WSA as we were pulled off to the side cooling the motor.. We caught back up after checkpoint 3 and rode his ass for a few minutes. I was on the horn the whole time, sucking down his dust. Rob attempted a pass, which ended up sending us into a ditch, catching some air, and busting the passenger side motor-mount. We rolled into the pit not knowing if we should(could?) continue.. 4 blown shocks, MAF problems, a rouge spark plug that attempted to jump ship numerous times, and the broken motor-mount.. F it.. We busted out the welder while 1-2 guys tightened bolts underneath the rig.. We reloaded our water supply (mainly for motor-cooling purposes), and rolled back out for lap #2, not knowing what would happen.

Our first lap was 3hrs 5mins, 2nd lap 3hrs 22mins.. We were slow, but we made it! With an hour and a half to spare too! Top speed of 68mph, and an avergae moving speed of 30mph (according to GPS).

I can't even express how much we all loved the experience. A big thanks to Redd for putting up with my texts and phone calls (once I finally got his phone #), and for checking our rig out at 2am Wednesday night.

We had a blast! We hope to be back with an all new mini rock-racing buggy next year.. This was a great introductory race, and the 2nd place finish in 4400 class was the icing on the cake!

Here's a video I threw together yesterday..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53PbZiLbBdo

Here's the rig post-race (post victory roll-overs)

-Jason

caCrawlin

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 23, 2009, 08:17:25 PM »
 :beer: :beerchug: great job! awasome vid

Dooner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 217
  • Male Posts: 769
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Invest in precious metal
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2009, 02:06:55 PM »
Very Cool :biggthumpup: Diggin the paint! :clap2:
"Project Land Cruzah" In Land Cruiser Section
71 FJ40 327/465/ 4.7 Mini T/c, Trussed, Armored Mini Axles w/ High Cross Over, Aussie Lockers & 30 spline Longs.  p/s 35's, SOA, , .  86 Burb D-60 14 bolt 350/400/205 37's.  02 F350 Tow Barge, Toyo 38's, Banks 5" Wicked wheel turbo, Edge Juice w/ Attitude, Blah Blah Blah

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2009, 02:59:23 PM »
totaly cool. :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.