Author Topic: any occupational welders out there?  (Read 2765 times)

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
any occupational welders out there?
« on: Sep 11, 2009, 12:26:56 PM »
hey, im 18 and graduated high school last year and still really dont know what i wana do for the rest of my life.  i was looking at my local junior college and they seem to have a pretty good welding program and i was getting interested in getting into a welding carrer.  my question is for anyone who dose or has worked as a welder, im just wondering if the work is enjoyable for what you get paid, which brings me to my other question, do they make good money and what is the demand like for a good welder? 
 Thanks in advance for the info.
 Anthony

p.s.  i live in napa CA so im thinking about doing all the catwalks and drums and everything like that for the winerys because there a plenty of those around here.
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

Trunkz

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: any occupational welders out there?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:02:49 PM »
well im a welder, basically the sky is the limit, this time next year im hoping to be in alaska welding pipelines.
basically its a mindset, if you want to bethe best dont let anything get in your way. your pay will depend on your performance, as far as factory work goes your looking at 30 to 40k a year starting out, the more experience you get (and the higher your skill level) the more you make. around here things are pretty much on slowdown, cat killed most of the work around here and they have not started back up yet... so that is a driving force for me to move out of the factories and into the free lance life, check into your local pipefitters, boilermakers, steamfitters etc and see about getting into an apprenticeship program

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:28:24 PM »
I'm 24 and my living is made behind a welding hood too.  i work in a pretty good size shop that has been in business for about 25 years. I build residential and commercial railings and stairs.  I like the work and i deffinately like being a good welder so i can do all my truck projects with confidence!  right now i'm at 14 bucks an hour which is pretty good for South Dakota. Its not amazing pay but its good for me right now. I also recently got a part time job at a local business who travels around the US and overseas to do underwater/diving jobs.  I am hoping to move into that job fulltime if i really like it.  Underwater welders can make VERY good money!
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2009, 05:39:08 PM by pumkin toy »
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:37:17 PM »
I am 22 and also work behind the hood. I did the Welding Program at Butte College. I graduated this year and now work in stuctural steel with dual shield flux core. I am certed in 6G 6010/7018 6" pipe, 6G MIG 6" pipe, and 5G stainless, etc. I was told the sky is the limit but right now the economy SUCKS!!!!! I am lucky to have a job. I make $15. So Cal has the need, not so much up here. I live in redding, ad there is not alot of work right now. any more questions just ask!
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

pumkin toy

• Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2009, 05:41:18 PM »
i am lucky to have a job.
I agree!  We have had so many guys turning in apps like crazy where i work.  one day we counted six guys come in trying to get a job!  its crazy out there.
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

Talon84x4

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 919
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2009, 07:39:05 PM »
I agree!  We have had so many guys turning in apps like crazy where i work.  one day we counted six guys come in trying to get a job!  its crazy out there.

I'm in those guys' boat, looking for an apprenticeship or anything right now in the south valley
Low & Slow 84 PU - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31982.0
Central Valley Crawlers

85yotabox [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
thanks a bunch for the info guys!  it kinda sux cuz everyone is telling me to get into a career that i can find work in now when the economy is bad and i will have work the rest of my life. the only problem is that people who are getting jobs are people who have the abbility to sit behind a desk everyday or on a computer, both of which i dont have.  anyways thanks for the help, feel free to shoot me any suggestions or anymore advice, or any welding apprenticeships going around :eyebrow:
thanks again,
anthony
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2009, 12:15:03 AM »
man your young just get some work experience find out what you like and hate. Once you have a respectable resume you can get on with a gov job like CHP,or the post office or somethin non gov like pge or ups they will take care of you for life. I know a guy who was a teacher, thats 7 years of college and he gave that up to be a driver for UPS because of the money.

jss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 12, 2009, 10:30:10 PM »
When the drillin rigs were a drillin, I was a rig welder makin 65 an hour, 10-12 hours a day, 7 days a week.  So yes, weldin pays well.  But you have to save your pennies when you can for a rainy day.  Get your education and then if your wantin to get into pipelining get on with as a welders helper, cause they will teach you everything they know if your intrested.  Just remember you'll be a newbie so don't blow in to the job as a helper the first day with an attitude, cause that'll show the welder that he might have a know it all already helpin him out.  Just a little info, take it or leave it.  Good Luck.....
Hold my beer and watch this....

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 12, 2009, 11:04:18 PM »
i was lookin into the same thing 85yota. i started takin a welding course at the local college to see how it goes but it seems now like it might not be the right career path in this economy. :dunno:

:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2009, 04:54:10 AM »
I used to production weld amusement rides, now I just weld/fix problems with them.  I love my Job, and it pays well enough to support my wife and kid in Cali.

ironheads69

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2009, 08:12:46 AM »
I have been weldingh for 25 yrs. and have never had any problem finding work...if you want to be a good welder then you also need to be a good fitter.These are the hands that prep your work and most good welders move into fitting and let some new bodies like yourself be taught by guys like us.I worked in alaska ,wash ,and in cali and if you want work thats where it is that pays well.Just remember it is hot,dirty, and hard work and not for the faint at heart or for sissies,put your hood down and go for it.Learn to weld pipe and you can weld anything.....

jss

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 36
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2009, 09:28:46 AM »
I agree ironhead, you'll be out working in whatever weather, workin under god knows what conditions.  But it's kinda cool to step back when the jobs is done and say "yea, I built that".
Hold my beer and watch this....