Author Topic: "Old Red" 84 build --> Dual cases and Lift in progress  (Read 10005 times)

Yota-Freak

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Jul '08
  • Pass tha' whiskey and that rot gut Shine.
    • View Profile
gotta convert bro, sorry

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
any other thoughts on that? I believe it can be done, forward shift on the g52 and top shift t-case as the rear case of the dual's

I hope...

89sastoyo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 148
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
you dont have to convert anything.

if you leave the t case you have in your truck right as the crawl box then you can utilize the forward shift. If you are scared the new case might leak then you would have to buy a conversion kit to do so, or swap around the shift rails from case to case. You only need a top shift in the rear case because you will have no where for the forward shift shifter, or shift rail for that matter, to go.

If that doesnt make sense let me know.

As for all of your other questions which weren't really answered,

you want to push your front axle as far forwards as you can if not you'll regret it down the road. I would use the trail gear hanger I have it on mine its super low pro and actually moves the axle forwards the most if you mount it right. Its also not a big drop hanger. When installing it you should move it forwards from sitting flush on the frame. Halladay said look at his, I did his solid axle swap we moved the skys hanger like a 1/4 forwards maybe more like 1/2 not sure off the top of my head but with that and his mixed pack of rears his axles about 3 or more inches forwards.

When you do the rears I would use boomerang shackles because they are meant for a steep shackle angle without making contact with your body mount so no notching required.

When you do the rears and everything then you must use high steer and an Ifs box as well.

89 extra cab stock on 1 tons.
83 rolled with built toy axles
92 2wd DD
first gen cab

Check out the build.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56487.0

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Thanks for the explanation. Below is the top shift reduction case I have. The idler bearings dont turn, also missing shifter base.... I am going to scrounge up another 100 bucks and go pick up a t-case in my area soon...

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Found a highsteer kit and ifs box from an 88 4runner for $300 bucks. :woot: I'm going to pick it up next friday, the guy says it is a Marlin highsteer that is about a year old. I have not seen one in person before, is the any definitive markings on the knuckle arms or rods that will stand out and let me know its "Marlin" for sure?

CrazyYota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 92
  • Male Posts: 1,073
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
It should say Marlin Crawler on the arms.  :biggthumpup:
>Chuck Norris invented black. In fact, he invented the entire spectrum of visible light. Except pink. Tom Cruise invented pink.

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Did I read somewhere where there was a redesign on the arms at some point??? I could be imagining that or thinking of Allpro maybe??? If there was a redesign will both versions have MC stamped on them?

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Getting close to being able to build. I have most of the big parts except 5.29's and Aussie lockers and tires/wheels. Lots of small nicknacks and mounting hardware yet to buy. ohh and a clutch.

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Anyone need any Top-Shift parts? Idler bearing has been cleaned up a bit and turn pretty well.

Mavericks

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2535
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
I'll be watching this build, you got a nice platform to start with! Your getting a nice collection of parts too.
1985 toyota SR5, 22re,  5.29's locked front and rear, duals with twin stick, longfields.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
are you going to be hangin new sheet metal??
i love oregon wheelin.

Dark Knight [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '09
  • 88 SR5
    • View Profile
Nope, no new sheet metal on the front. I will be trimming the fenders to fit 35's (I hope) so the rust on the front will be cut out.

greg_k113

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 224
  • Member since Feb '10
    • View Profile
Nice build keep the pics coming.  I love the Ruff chevy combo.Something about a great suspension set up that you can get for under $100 is so cool.