Author Topic: fuel system question (1st gen)  (Read 1206 times)

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
fuel system question (1st gen)
« on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:24:05 AM »
So don't everyone laugh at once about this.   :disturbed:

I've got a 1st gen truck and it has some weird model Holley carb on it without any ID numbers that anyone can make sense out of (Holley included).  I've had the truck for about a year and half and drive it daily, 4-wheelin, out of town, wherever.  Sometimes when I drive I can smell gas and I get  :censored: gas milelage (like 14 mpg).  I assumed it was the carb dumping too much gas in and the smell was coming out of the tailpipe.

WRONG - I've had some 3rd gens with EFI before and am familiar with the charcoal canister breather gadget that's under the hood and lets the gas tank breathe.  I noticed this hose was not hooked up on mine and that I have no canister present, so I just stuck the hose so it pointed up instead of hand down.  I figured the hose may have gone to the old AISIN carb (I think stock was AISIN), but now I think there was a canister originally.  Is this correct?  Anyway, the hose apparently fell down again because when I was filling up my tank the other day I noticed gas pouring out from under the front of the truck - "F-ING GREAT".  I looked and gas was coming out of the hose  :smack:.  Paid some attention to it and noticed it sloashes out this hose while driving also :smack: :smack:.  Now I know why I've been getting 14 mpg the past year and a half while gas prices have been through the roof  :smack: :smack: :smack:. - Man my head hurts....

So what should I do (I have priced one of these canisters before and they are not cheap - $250 if I remember correctly).  Can I just stick bolt in the hose with a clamp on it and plug it up?  Can I buy one of the old style gas tank caps that breathes so that pressure doesn't build up in tank causing the gas to come out the breather hose?  Does the tank need pressure for the car to run properly (I know EFI systems often do in other vehicles)?

Please advise gurus

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Re: fuel system question (1st gen)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:32:57 AM »
I would try to pick one up in a junk yard and hook it up, if you plug the line you will need a vented cap.

jmac [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2009, 06:47:47 AM »
Are all 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gen canisters the same?  I got an 89' on blocks that should still have one in it.  I've noticed a small mount where a canister may fit, but it looks smaller than I remember the canister being.  I think it was originally for a fuel filter holder. 

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »
Find a used canister at the junk yard and put it in, don`t plug the hose with a bolt, you will cause a vacuum in the gas tank and that will keep the engine from getting fuel.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.