We currently are not offering Customer Support on our Forum.
Please use our Store website for: Customer Contact.

Author Topic: We test Marlin Crawler's HREW vs. Competitor's DOM Bumper Steel  (Read 137080 times)

toytank

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 7
  • Male Posts: 354
  • Member since Sep '06
  • ROCKSOLIDMOTORSPORTS
    • View Profile
thanks big mike thats really cool
old and sqeaky but she goes

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,291
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
so basicly what you are trying to prove is that your steel isn´t weaker than the competetors,  not that usa hrew is stronger than usa dom.

Precisely! :_order:

Its great you did this test because i can say i even got fooled for the idea of their DOM being stronger...

...i couldn't build them out of US DOM for what it cost to buy them from Trail-Gear. So i assumed DOM is DOM and after receiving them i realized that is far from true.

EXACTLY!

That is why my closing sentence on the Pirates post was:

Quote from: BigMike
As proven here, just because it's DOM doesn't mean it's more dent resistant than HREW.

Now check this out:

Somehow while everyone was resting their heads on their pillows last night, the competitor has MAGICALLY replaced all of their inventory with some "better" DOM.

Don't you think it's a bit convenient that this happened one day after I published my findings ? ? ? ?

Can you say :bull crap:

Don't buy into their tricks yet again!!!! NON-USA DOM IS NOT BETTER THAN USA DOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
well now we have an idea of what DOM they are using or claim to be using anyways.....
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
Interesting.

I have TG DOM sliders, they are junk and dent soo easily. Their DOM doesn't even look like DOM to me. Mine looked like they had a swirl seam like a candycane. I was pretty disappointed with them.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
I dented my TG sliders, dropping off onto a rock.  Not a big dent, but eh..

Better than the rockers.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
This is good stuff !  Thanks Mike.

I buy alot of steel and alloys, we stay away from Chinese Material, cause they cannot provide certification.  All steel, I buy, comes with certs, if not we ask for it, for liability reasons.  I will see if we can send some samples out for NDT and destructive testing, cause this whole thread has got me thinking, about what we take for granted.
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2009, 03:37:14 PM by 4runnerchevy »

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
You should run a test on square tube as well
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
I dented my TG sliders, dropping off onto a rock.  Not a big dent, but eh..

:whistle:

oh i cant stand it

:rofl:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
Awesome tech Mike!! I can clearly see the difference in the two just by looking at them side by side. I guess you could say that the U.S. steel starts off stronger from the get-go. Just a lot cleaner of a product as well (less impurity in the steel)
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Have I taught you nothing grasshopper.

Hello Magazine guy here. What do you need Mike???
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
:rofl:   it didnt take long for "THEM" to start the attack :rofl:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60222.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I assume this is referring to TG products......here we go again.........I guess this AIN'T ever gonna end.......Everyone please quit the hatin' on one another please..It just looks desperate, thats all....

Anyone ever look at it from another point of view(non-wheeler perspective)?...Thats just childish if you ask me..

ONE MAY BITE YOU, BUT IF YOU BITE BACK, YOU'RE JUST AS BAD.....

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
I assume this is referring to TG products......here we go again.........I guess this AIN'T ever gonna end.......Everyone please quit the hatin' on one another please..It just looks desperate, thats all....

Anyone ever look at it from another point of view(non-wheeler perspective)?...Thats just childish if you ask me..

Don't Deny the truth here. Its OK if you fell for the lies.... many people have.   :therethere:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
I assume ......

That, my friend, is your first problem. The discussion here is regarding DOM and HREW steel tube. :screwy:

Mike specifically referred to "Competitors", NOT Trail Gear or any other specific competitor (at least, not that I can find???????). I believe he is referring to ANYONE who uses China (ETA: He did not refer to China, but foreign) made DOM tubing for their parts. :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Jul 17, 2009, 02:31:34 PM by *FFC* »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The discussion here is regarding DOM and HREW steel tube. :screwy:

Mike specifically referred to "Competitors", NOT Trail Gear or any other specific competitor

Thank you FFC, this is CORRECT.

I believe he is referring to ANYONE who uses China made DOM tubing for their parts. :thumbs:

I never mentioned where the competitor gets their DOM. I did mention to be careful with low grade DOM pretending to be more "dent resistant". As proven this is NOT true.

If you want to buy a DOM bumper, I HIGHLY recommend you look for a company who offers real certified USA DOM.

BigMike

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Thank you FFC, this is CORRECT.

I never mentioned where the competitor gets their DOM. I did mention to be careful with low grade DOM pretending to be more "dent resistant". As proven this is NOT true.

If you want to buy a DOM bumper, I HIGHLY recommend you look for a company who offers real certified USA DOM.

BigMike

My apologies... I misused the term China - I should have used the term FOREIGN.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile

I agree with this, so instead of "biting back" with some stupid fake marketing lies, I did real testing on real machines using real materials and have presented real facts.

Anyone ever look at it from another point of view(non-wheeler perspective)?

Trust me, from an outsiders point of view, the competitor's claims are on real shaky grounds.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I did real testing on real machines using real materials and have presented real facts.

So did I it was called MOONROCKS and it held up well.... as I did an Austin Powers my rear MARLIN bumper on a big freekin rock like 5 times trying to get unstuck and it held up well  :biggthumpup: thanks again Marlin and crew for a great product and thanks Blingin for getting me outa trouble...again

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
That swirl make in your sliders is from a sander. It was cleaned up from a weld to fill a pit or it was spliced to make a longer tube.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
That swirl make in your sliders is from a sander. It was cleaned up from a weld to fill a pit or it was spliced to make a longer tube.
uh no, he's talking about a twisting swirl, like a barbers swirly sign thingy

which is a sign of really cheap steel

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile

Wrong...

If you read correctly it said seam and not "mark"

uh no, he's talking about a twisting swirl, like a barbers swirly sign thingy

which is a sign of really cheap steel

Correct.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
Yup, the thread I posted on Pirates was moved to a hidden forum, and I received an email from CAMO to call him to discuss it.

According to Camo, I was "spamming" and it was not a tech article. He said he would give it an "F" grade for a tech article. I even edited the closing paragraph before I posted it by removing the references to buy our product.

He offered to move the thread to the vendors section but said that he thinks what I am doing is a very bad idea because I am, quote "fighting a public perception"  -- WELL PRECISELY!! :hyper: THE TRUTH MUST BE KNOW THAT THERE IS A COMPANY SELLING SOFTER BUMPER MATERIAL MASQUERADING IT AS MORE DENT RESISTANT THAN OUR OWN!

He told me, quote "I think you are trying to swim upstream without a paddle", and he said "the war was getting started".
Yeah, the war I am looking for is to educate people!
We get COUNTLESS emails and phone calls asking why our Body Armor is not as strong as a competitor's DOM. Who knows this to be true? Has anyone ever bothered to test this claim until now?? It is a massive widespread misconception that when the competitor uses the term "DOM", it is some golden platter of instant dent resistance! And until now no tech article has proven this to be true or not!

So my article was moved to the Vendor section and is located here: http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=803975 You can see how I downplayed the closing paragraph:

I would have to say this is perhaps the most unbiased article with the most substantiated claims I've ever written. I have been learning a lot in terms of how to post articles of this magnitude and I think it shows. It is well structured and organized, starts with a motivation and an abstract, and has a conclusion that supports the assumptions made.

I am going to cut this short to say alas, we really need to build a working relationship with Pirates as they are the largest forum for advertising, so I am not going to get into conspiracy over why this happened.

Camo said the discussion may be moved back to the Toyota - Truck and 4Runner tech forum but he wants someone other than me to create a new topic about it.

Kind Regards,
BigMike

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804607

Anything else i can do? :gap:
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

lbyota85

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '06
  • work in progress
    • View Profile
Nice going! Its neat to see results like this.  :thumbs:

Now to play the devils advocate.  :flamer:
What if the dent or rock slides on the seam of HREW tubing? VS Seamless DOM?

I don't doubt that your steel is stronger but just thought I would ask. Don't worry every piece of prefabbed steel on my truck is from marlin and thanks cause Ive given them a beating!

DOM tubing is made by rolling mild steel sheet and then welding the seam, then a mandrel is run through the center to accurately size the tubing and smooth the weld seam, The additional mechanical working adds strength to the tubing by "cold working". Also with an accurate wall thickness it is very uniform and predictible.

True seamless tubing is another matter. This is made by taking a billet of steel and piercing it with a "bullit shape" to form a tube. This is expensive tubing as you can imagine.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

tryn2Crawl:
I really cant stand stupid people. If you believe the lies that TG tells you, then you're just the idiot that should buy their crap. You are on a Marlin Crawler forum, if you think for a second that MC supporters on here will side with anything that forked tounged devil has to say over at TG they you should go back to sticking your head in the sand. I cant believe that with all the TG bashing that has gone on here and at PBB that you would even consider buying that China crap. Take the name TG out of the equation for just a moment, why would you ever want to buy product that flat out sucks. I've been on their site plenty of times and nothing that they offer, either in their design nor their pricing is appealing. Cheap pricing, WOW good, go get yourself some good old fashion crappy product. Then you'll be that guy I laugh at for buying the cheapest stuff on the market, simply because you think its cool. I think the statement above needs repeating.

tryn2Crawl:
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

« Last Edit: Jul 20, 2009, 03:46:00 PM by TacoRunner »

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile

tryn2Crawl:
I really cant stand stupid people. If you believe the lies that TG tells you, then you're just the idiot that should buy their crap. You are on a Marlin Crawler forum, if you think for a second that MC supporters on here will side with anything that forked tounged devil has to say over at TG they you
should go back to sticking your head in the sand. I cant believe that with all the TG bashing that has gone on here and at PBB that you would even consider buy that China crap. Take the name TG out of the equation for just a moment, why would you ever want to buy product that flat out sucks. I've been on their site plenty of times and nothing that they offer, either in their design nor their pricing is appealing. Cheap pricing, WOW good, go get yourself some good old fashion crappy product. Then you'll be that guy I laugh at for buying the cheapest stuff on the market, simply because you think its cool. I think the statement above needs repeating.

tryn2Crawl:

::) :shake:
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
And I dont even care if thats over the top, dont come to this site and try to make it sould that its MarlinCrawler being the childish one. They started it, MC will end it.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=804607

Anything else i can do? :gap:

Camo removed it from its location, possilby deleted it.

tryn2Crawl

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Admit it or not.We all know if TG mentions about a competitors product,and same with Marlin, they are definitely "REFERRING" to each other..Just because the "Name" is not mentioned( legal issues) doesn't mean  hey both ain't still trying to make one another look bad.True or not about whatever product that may be mentioned, I don't know..But we know the attack and dirty looks among each other is still there......

And if you do not see that then YOU my friend is blind!.....You see all the hating going on here..Do you?...Theres more Hate on here about TG that I can find VS the TG forum...Not liking a product is one thing but to hate then talk smack and FOLLOW OTHERS is just plain stupid....Regardless from either fan customers...

vikingsven

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
Calling someone out on their BS has nothing to do with "hate" or ":pokinit: talking". If a vendor claims something that doesn't seem legit, hell, even if it does, it is our duty as a consumer to ask questions about it. I have plenty of questions about BigMike's findings in this thread as a matter of fact... I don't see exactly how a material being harder equates to it not denting as easily as a less-hard material. ??

With that said, if TG offered an original product made out of quality materials and craftsmenship, I'd bet people's response to them would be different. However, I haven't seen anything that meets that criteria as of yet, and they claim to have the best product out there.

Last and not least. It is my opinion that Camo is extremely arrogant and I don't like the way he "moderates". Maybe in person he's a cool dude, but online he sucks. On the internet perception is reality, and it is my perception that he, and many other mods on pirate show favortism towards certain vendors. Their inability to maintain order and let people speak without deleting threads, threating the band hammer, or running around telling everyone how stupid they are becasue they don't know all the facts, when they won't share them, is simply retarted. Its a complete ego trip. That is why I don't, and will never again, pay for a red star. /rant off
« Last Edit: Jul 19, 2009, 06:41:42 PM by vikingsven »