Author Topic: I just got fired!  (Read 5634 times)

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: I just got fired!
« Reply #30 on: Jul 06, 2009, 11:43:26 PM »
hey nate, we might be up in the hills wheelin tomorrow so if you dont get an answer on my buddys phione or it goes strait to VM then leave a message and hell call you back
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

kneedownnate [OP]

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jul 07, 2009, 12:21:21 AM »
No problem, did he have a somewhat specific time he wanted me to call him?  Was he thinking he'd be coming down tomorrow?  I was thinking of calling him at like 9 or 10am just in case.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jul 07, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »
I like the pool boy idea Nate!!  haha.  Just remember everything does happen for a reason.  Like you said, your back needs a break.  You'll pull through this transition period and come out the other side smellin' like a rose!  :yupyup:

Good luck with everything man :thumbs:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3749
  • Male Posts: 2,855
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #33 on: Jul 07, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »
The same thing just happened to a buddy of mine. A friend got him a job where he works and it's for more $$. Things do happen for a reason. Good luck with the new job, whatever it may be!
Time to go wheelin!

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jul 07, 2009, 08:40:06 AM »
Nate, sorry to hear of your job loss.  :therethere:  If it's any consolation to ya, just think, why did it take 14 years for them to come up with such lame and pathetic excuses to fire you. C'mon, really? That's all they had?  :snare: The way I see it is...they will soon regret doing what they did. Kinda like buyer's remorse.   :yupyup: :twocents:

Anyway, good luck to ya and enjoy the time off fwiw. But don't fret, something good will come of this, maybe not soon, but one can hope on a timely venture.  :yesnod: :thumbs:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #35 on: Jul 07, 2009, 09:02:01 AM »
No problem, did he have a somewhat specific time he wanted me to call him?  Was he thinking he'd be coming down tomorrow?  I was thinking of calling him at like 9 or 10am just in case.
whenever. anywhere from now on is good i think
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 08, 2009, 04:02:50 PM »
Just a thought (yeah, I get those sometimes)...  little voice in my my head says if they truly intend for you to get unemployment benefits, they would have laid you off for lack of work -- instead of terminated for failure to follow orders or not completing work in a timely manner.   :dunno:

Also occurred to me that with a bad economy and business down somewhat, they may have had orders to reduce staff -- and you happened to be the unfortunate target.   :mad:

Be prepared to vigorously defend your side of the story.   :yesnod:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 08, 2009, 08:58:58 PM »
Those thoughts definately occured to me too, but one of the first things my coworker said when I told him was "now how am I supposed to get weekends off?!", which is a similar sentiment to what I'm sure my 2 other coworkers would be thinking.  We were stretched very very thin as it was, and with me gone it'll put a fair load on everybody else... except for the fact that I wasn't actually working according to my boss  :shake:

They could and probably should have laid me off for lack of work and it would have stuck, but as I said, my boss runs completely on emotions and was reacting emotionally from the previous days' events.  Considering that the next guy below me made probably more than $3 less an hour than I did, I don't doubt I would have been the easy target, which I believe is something I said to several friends over the last several months  :headscratch:

If I really really wanted to get dirty I'm sure I could sue on grounds of my social anxieties, especially since my boss touched on the subject in the previous couple mechanic meetings we had up to 2 weeks prior to my first writeup, saying he knew how doing chase calls affected me and he was trying to keep me from having to do too many.

I can only hope my coworkers would come forward and tell the truth if it got down and dirty, but I'm sure they all want to stay as far away from it as possible.  No sense in sticking a target on their backs too! 

I still haven't had any real moments of shock or anything, but this whole thing has affected my apetite and keeps a constant knot in my stomach, but maybe I'll finally lose some of that winter blubber I meant to lose a couple years back  :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:12:10 PM »
Just did a little figuring on my base expenses, and I can guarentee to pay out at least $1150 a month.  That's regular monthly expenses like rent, power, phones, etc.  If I didn't pay vehicle storage or for the storage unit, I'd only be paying out $950.  I can knock out the vehicle storage no problem, but I just heard today from a neighbor that my landlord may be looking to sell the place before too long, so I don't wanna go through the hassle of setting up a storage building just to have to tear it down later on. 

If I end up having to move then I can guarentee I'll be paying the same for rent but have much less room for storage and will likely end up in an apartment or something.  I'm not sweating it now, I'll probably give my landlord a call tomorrow and see if he can give me a definitive answer.  As much as it can suck to live with close friends, the strain on the friendship and all, I may end up having to convince my friend to let me move in till things get solid.

Another thought occured to me while grabbing a couple groceries tonight;  a friend has worked as a night stocker at a local grocery store and gets paid pretty decent, so I'll probably be hitting him up soon to see if they're hiring and what the base pay is. 
RIP KYOTA

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:23:31 PM »
 :shake:
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 09, 2009, 10:23:58 PM »
At this point in time, and economy, I'd take whatever you can get.  And just keep your options open for a better job later.  
Do you have any connections with people who own business's?  That's how I got the beer job, right after I was laid off from Les Schwab.    
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 09, 2009, 11:27:18 PM »
I know a small handfull of business owners, mostly automotive shops.  I did get a heads up on a possible job at a motorcycle shop, but I really honestly don't want to turn wrenches, especially not on stuff that belongs to other people.  I don't want the liability and I'm not that confident in my abilities.

Going over my expenses and seeing exactly what my base outpay is did make me feel like I could settle for a little less than what I was making, which is what's going to have to happen, but I feel like I'm forgetting something too  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 10, 2009, 08:24:03 AM »
sucks buddy but everything happens for a reason, theres something better coming at you down the road!  FTA they will soon realize they made a poor decision when the whole lake is covered in dead boats  :talkingn: "hmmm maybe we shoulda kept nate around  :headscratch:"

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 10, 2009, 08:33:39 AM »
sucks buddy but everything happens for a reason, theres something better coming at you down the road!  FTA they will soon realize they made a poor decision when the whole lake is covered in dead boats  :talkingn: "hmmm maybe we shoulda kept nate around  :headscratch:"

:yupyup:  As the old saying goes......nobody notices what I do until I don't do it!  They're about to find out the hard way!   :yesnod:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 14, 2009, 01:03:18 AM »
Just got done filling out an online job app with cycle gear after finding out they have positions open locally so  :crossed:  Took several tries between me messing up (you can't go back on those things :shake: ) and their program glitching part way through the process, but once I finally got it done it took 40 minutes  :yikes:  I'll hopefully be stopping by EDD tomorrow morning and will update my resume if they still have me on file and check out what they have available.

I do need to talk to my friend's roommate and see if he's hiring. 

Still haven't recieved word on unemployment, but my 10 days isn't up either.  It's the waiting and not knowing how much you'll get if you do recieve it that'll kill ya!  I've also changed my tune as far as staying unemployed.  I need structure, I need something I have to do every day or I'll go stir crazy!  It'd be one thing if I could find an internet business that was worthwhile, something where I maybe had to drive to pick up supplies or drop stuff off to ship.  I've kept very busy digging out parts to sell, taking pics and transfering them to photobucket, then updating and monitering my ads, but it's hasn't really paid off and despite the fact that I'm busy, I'm still incredibly bored and think too much!

I noticed that as long as I was driving around town today or walking around in stores I didn't feel like an utter wasteless turd.  I had to ship a few items today, bit the bullet and bought a couple non t-shirts in case I have an interview, and ended up hitting a bunch of stores to obtain job apps.  Kind of a bummer, cause every place but one has theirs online.

One good thing to come from this is I have actually lost several pounds, though it doesn't look to be fat  :_oops:  I really really want to hike but can't justify wasting the gas and can't chance being out of range in case EDD or a potential employer calls. 

I also spoke to a couple credit card companies and sears today and got a nice deal with 2 of them.  1 was completely unwilling to work with me on reducing my payments until things got better, but sears was willing to adjust my payments to a set amount, and discover card offered to drastically drop my interest rate and allow me to set the payment I felt I could make.  The only 2 real requirements were they had to be automatic electronic payments and they'd lock card use for 6 months  Cool, I almost never used the card any more anyway!
RIP KYOTA

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #45 on: Jul 14, 2009, 06:07:00 AM »
Glad to see you're being proactive about your situation Nate. I hope something comes up for you soon!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jul 14, 2009, 07:20:39 AM »
Glad to see you're being proactive about your situation Nate. I hope something comes up for you soon!
:werd: :bowdown: :crossed:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:42:24 PM »
Good news kinda.  I got approved for unemployment, but I can't turn in the forms till the 26th, and it's less than I hoped for.  With the adjustments I've made to payments I'll probably be cutting it almost even, but I won't know how much they'll withhold until I see my first check.   I've been selling a few parts on the side just to try and help while I'm not getting any cash flow and still have a little from my last check, but I'll still have to make a little bit more each week to stay afloat.

One of the biggest things I'm focusing on is liquidating parts and vehicles.  If I had to move right now I'd be utterly screwed, but if I could wittle down what I have quite a bit I'd be ok.  You never know, it might just be shady apartment time soon, even if I do get a job since almost everything available right now starts at minumum wage.

I spent about 6 hours getting applications, finding out whose are done online (I hate the online apps!), dropping off my resume with an employer I applied to online, filling out a few apps and turning them in.  Everything I applied for is undoubtedly minimum wage, which is almost the same as I'm making now, so I may as well try and hold out for a little longer in hopes of something popping up, but I won't turn down anything with growth potential either. 

I also spoke to a friend for a while tonight and did some brainstorming on job possibilities.  I suggested the possibility of having to rent his 3rd bedroom for a little while if worse came to worse and he said he'd just let me live there for free, but it'd have to be temporary because he likes me and wants to keep it that way  :haha:  I'd just have to transport as much as possible to storage and move as little as possible to his house.

There is also the possibility that I'd end up getting a 2nd job if my hours were steady and set at the first job.  I wouldn't really mind working 12-14 hours a day for a while, just wouldn't wanna do it for terribly long.
RIP KYOTA

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #48 on: Jul 16, 2009, 11:44:55 PM »
goodluck man. are you staying in redding then or gonna consider moving elsewhere?

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jul 17, 2009, 12:12:42 AM »
Thanks!  A move somewhere else would be far too costly.  I'd have to find something very cheap in Redding, but unfortunately cheap here means shitty neighborhood.  I've considered getting a place with a friend of mine, but he'd have a near constant flow of friends coming in and out, and he gets anxious if he's held a job too long and ends up quitting. 

Seriously, I need to just find some sugar-momma with low standards and low self esteem who wants to fix me but doesn't have high expectations  ;)
RIP KYOTA

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jul 17, 2009, 10:16:20 AM »
Good news kinda.  I got approved for unemployment, but I can't turn in the forms till the 26th, and it's less than I hoped for.  With the adjustments I've made to payments I'll probably be cutting it almost even, but I won't know how much they'll withhold until I see my first check. 
Glad to hear that -- the way you described your walkin' papers, I would not have been too shocked if you got turned down & had to fight for benefits. And it looks like you'll pay federal tax on the checks, but no state tax.

Quote from: kneedownnate
One of the biggest things I'm focusing on is liquidating parts and vehicles. 
Any chance you could sell enough that you'd no longer need to pay for storage? Might be nice to not have that payment going out every month.

Quote from: kneedownnate
I spent about 6 hours getting applications, finding out whose are done online (I hate the online apps!), dropping off my resume with an employer I applied to online, filling out a few apps and turning them in. 
Do you need a certain number of apps each week? Just make sure you meet all requirements -- don't give them any reason to cut your benefits, or worse, disqualify you.

Anyway, it sounds like you're on the right track, and hopefully something decent will turn up before too long!  :thumbs:

Good luck with the Sugar Momma thing.....   :haha:

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jul 17, 2009, 11:51:33 AM »
Storage was a fee I was really hoping to get out from under, but if I have to move I'll for sure need it for the house stuff.  I am working on moving as many truck and motorbike parts out of there as I can for that reason as well.

I thought I needed a certain amount of apps put in each period, but spoke to the guy at edd yesterday and he said absolutely do not fill anything in there unless the box on the front page is checked.  He said they're so loaded up with people going on unemployment right now that they have no way to check on that kinda stuff. 

I am a little confused as to how to fill out some of the boxes on the form in order to keep receiving benefits.  I have the little booklet I need to read see if there are any guidelines, I just don't want to check the wrong box and screw myself!
RIP KYOTA

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jul 17, 2009, 05:07:45 PM »
Are you able to do it on-line? We can here in AZ. It's soooo much easier.
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jul 17, 2009, 06:30:11 PM »
I could file it online initially but have to mail the bi-weekly cards in.  Got some good info from the lady at edd today on filing and fixing a likely mistake I made filing, and found a couple more jobs to apply for.  One sounds like a boring assembly line type position, injection molding operator, but it's fairly close and is at the now defunct Skyway bicycle factory.  I'm not holdin out hope, but we'll see.

I'm also going to attend the next available computer class.  Lots of jobs seem to require some basic computer skills I lack, like word perfect and other programs, which I never use so I'm bound to fail.  I also need to try and find a program which will teach me how to use a register and do the credit cards sales, etc.  I know it sounds simple, but there are so many people out there who can already use the registers, so given the choice an employer will undoubtedly go for one of them.
RIP KYOTA

yotamaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 137
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:18:39 PM »
I was out of work last year for 5 months and I ended finding a job at our local pawn shop. Keep your head up and be persistent and you will find another job. I used work on cars and now I am doing loans and buying stuff. Good luck
1969 Jeep Jeepster Commando

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jul 17, 2009, 08:58:04 PM »
Take whatever you can get for now, and always keep looking for a better one. 

My sister was just given her pink slip last week.  Aug 1st she is out of a job, but the boss is giving her 2 extra weeks pay.  And if the trucking business picks back up, she will be the first one hired back.  Mills are going to one shift only here.  She's crapping her pants, cause her husband and her have to both work.  Cause their new house payments are $1200 before taxes or ins.  And he's already walking a thin line at the mill.  They never know if they are running next week or not.  But she has her app in for anything & everything.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jul 29, 2009, 08:35:50 AM »
How are things going boss? I see your selling lottsa stuff. Wish I was closer to take some of it off of your hands.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jul 29, 2009, 12:09:06 PM »
Not bad, I'm just on a quick break after filling out my pre-employment packet for the new job, just have to run back real quick with my social security card, then I should be working in a few days or a week.  Sounds like I may get denied for unemployment though, which will suck cause it'll be right around a month with no income and I'll be running thin, especially since I won't be working full time right off the bat. 

I'm also considering having to move, but so few places are cheaper than what I'm paying now!  I'm going to check out a few that are closer to work, but I'd like to stick it out here for a while too.
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jul 29, 2009, 08:26:21 PM »
Stopped by a friend's shop and got a little info from one of his guys.  Turns out both he and his dad went through this, getting denied for unemployment after getting fired because they made the mistake of signing a piece of paper, a piece of paper you don't have to sign evidently.  That's probably what's screwing me now, cause they got me to sign it by saying it was the only way to get my last check at that time.  They didn't disclose to me that I may be making it look as if I agreed with the terms of my termination by signing it, which I obviously never would have done had I known better!  He said the difference would have been I wouldn't have received my last check until I got approved for unemployment, or something like that. 

I'll still appeal if it comes to it, but hopefully I can explain this all to the judge when I meet with him and he'll see the deception on their part. 
RIP KYOTA

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2009, 06:46:49 PM »
Stopped by the mail box on the way home from work today (sounds good to say :gap: ) and found a letter from edd.  Seems they decided my termination was legit and have denied me unemployment benefits.  Sweet  :shake:

I'm not totally sure how to take what they said though.  It sounds as if I'll qualify if I go to work and earn at least $1510, but due to the way they worded it, I'm not sure if they mean I have to return to my previous employer, any employer, or if it's even a given at all. 

Read this and tell me what you think:  It says "You are not eligible to receive benefits under california unemployment insurance code section 1256 beginning 7/05/09 and continuing until you return to work after the disqualifying act and earn $1510.00 or more in bona fide employment, and you contact the above office to reopen your claim.
RIP KYOTA