Author Topic: What size tires do you run with your Longfields??  (Read 10298 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
damn!  so according to bobby long his axles are almost twice as strong as my birf elim kit!

Although I will never discrete an axle breaking machine in terms of marketability and live product demonstration, remember this is just a machine providing an increasing load to the shaft, which may or may not be the same as the actual loading characteristics of the shaft in service.

I am not discrediting the fact that higher numbers means higher yield strength, I am simply saying that in my opinion the only thing an axle breaking machine is good for in the public's eye is for marketing, people wanna see those numbers even if they don't know what it means. Also, was that a brand new D60 axle that was tested, or was it a wrecking yard axle with xxx,xxx miles on it? Regardless if it was new, if I only see a chart with numbers, as an outsider looking in, I would assume the Longfield is new and the D60 is used. :twocents: That means that the numbers just sold me in terms of marketing.

Having said this, if Marlin Crawler some day got a breaking machine would I fully use it to our marketing advantage? Oh you can count on it!

I just don't trust those numbers as much as I would a real world test in a real axle housing loaded beneath a real truck. :twocents: Do I believe a Bobby long 30-spline axle is stronger than a stock D60 axle? Despite what the numbers from the machine say, I really don't think so in my opinion. Both are very strong in deed, but its just the shear size difference that gets me.

I have NEVER been a fan of the birfield eliminator kit because I own a Toyota and I am going to keep Toyota style parts on it. This too means that I would choose a 30-spline Longfield over a D60 conversion ANYDAY :yesnod:
« Last Edit: Jun 01, 2009, 05:11:52 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

pumkin toy [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i do fully agree with you in that aspect BigMike, but from all of the feedback i have gotten so far, it looks like the Longs are probably a better choice than the elim kit!  What do you run in your rig?
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Buy the longs and i am sure you wont be disappointed. :biggthumpup:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
i do fully agree with you in that aspect BigMike

Shhhhewwww I know that was a bolt statement to make. I'm glad someone agrees

but from all of the feedback i have gotten so far, it looks like the Longs are probably a better choice than the elim kit!

I don't know about that, I am gonna have to disagree with you on this point. I would instead say that the longs are BY FAR better than the eliminator kit. In my opinion the Marlin Crawler UM06 Marfield is WAY WAY better than the eliminator kit, the 30-spline Long is WAY WAY better than the eliminator, and the 27-spline Long is WAY better than the eliminator kit.

What do you run in your rig?

I have been running Bobby's 27-spline Longfields in my rig since 2007 and I love them. I prefer Marlin's Japanese Chromoly UM06 over Bobby's 27-spline birfs, but at the time we were out of stock on the UM06s and I didn't want to wait for the Japanese shipment. The 27-spline Longs have served me well. I ran stock birfields for nearly 4 years with 33 and 35" tires, never broke one, and then upgraded when I got 37s.

So I am really not the target market for Bobby or Marlin as I am not abusive to my truck. I have triple cases, 511:1 Crawl Ratio, and a 180 ft-lb torque engine and I never broke a stock Birfield. So please only take my opinion at arms length. You need to talk to someone who is a more reckless driver than me who has broke 101 different axles for a far better take on it all-

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
well thank you for the info.  and i am also not a very aggressive driver. i learned from my dad who is a very good driver and knows how to pick lines instead of puting it to the floor to get places.  but even though i drive pretty conservatively i have still broken four birfs and now three elim axles.  i am sick of it and need something that will last me through a weekend of abusive Black Hills boulders!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

DieselD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 409
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
another thing about longs is you can not beat the service...

I sent my axle in and had another one on my door step in about a week no questions asked.

85yotabox

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 218
  • Member since Apr '07
  • shitlbuffout
    • View Profile
i dont want to steal your thread but with longs isnt the next thing to go is your third, or is that just the next weakest link but their still plenty strong?
Chicks dig body damage! 
build it to beat it!

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
i dont want to steal your thread but with longs isnt the next thing to go is your third, or is that just the next weakest link but their still plenty strong?
I would think it would be your hub gears, hub studs and then third members unless its a hp front and then t-case ouput shaft.

toyotanner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 66
  • Male Posts: 1,958
  • Member since Oct '07
  • low n slow
    • View Profile
27 spline Longs, 39.5 iroks, 6-8 psi, lockright, over a year and havent broken one yet. :thumbs:

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
39.5 iroks fully gettin it never broke one
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
39.5 iroks fully gettin it never broke one
good to hear!
97 4runner Limited

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
I would assume the Longfield is new and the D60 is used. :twocents: That means that the numbers just sold me in terms of marketing.

Hey Mike, I'm certain that the 12000 lb. mark was with a new Chromoly. He broke one at TinBenders one year and they were new. All of his test are done with new shafts.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

wayne_l

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
39.5 tsls , and 4.7 MC gears and 4.88 and 90to 1 with a very healthy 351 windsor v-8 
I love my country ,but hate my goverment ...

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
39.5 tsls , and 4.7 MC gears and 4.88 and 90to 1 with a very healthy 351 windsor v-8 
and havnt broken one yet?
97 4runner Limited

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
The way it's been explained to me is v8 power delivery is much smoother than 4 cylinder power delivery, which is fairly violent.  I've heard of a lot of people running a v8 and not breaking near as much stuff as they expected. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

wayne_l

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
nothing broke yet .. i think the asian hubs would be next weak link  .. the only thing i seem to break is t-case mounts i need to pony uo for those nice solid mount ones .
I love my country ,but hate my goverment ...

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
That's why bobby makes hub gears also  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

pumkin toy [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
That's why bobby makes hub gears also  :thumbs:
yep  for sure!
nothing broke yet .. i think the asian hubs would be next weak link  .. the only thing i seem to break is t-case mounts i need to pony uo for those nice solid mount ones .
are you running 27 or 30 spline Longs?
97 4runner Limited

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I run 37's  and I run hard all the time. I have yet to break a 30 spline. I have broke a ring gear but only one.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs