Author Topic: Russell_G's 87 longbed build up. The door panels and interior wrap up.  (Read 144576 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I thought about it but i already have a v6 housing modded for an e locker In the truck. I really don't see enough gain by swapping when long term plans include diamonds
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Pics of the parts truck i grabbed..

87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

redrocket93

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 690
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Damn, your parts truck is in nicer shape than my DD Tacoma.

GONZO97

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 48
  • Male Posts: 612
  • Member since Apr '09
  • travel the path less taken
    • View Profile
    • Christian's Mattress Xpress
    • Buy me a beer
just read thru this entire build great attention to detail man
1997 4Runner Limited 3" lift on 31 M/Ts-Traded
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61054.msg749103#msg749103
1995 Xtended Cab SAS on 35's Dual Cases-Sold
1991 4Runner SAS on 33s RUF 63's in the back Bilsteins all the way around, 5.29s front and rear Detroit locked Front and Rear http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=65180.0
1988 4Runner 3.0 V6--SOLD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=97592.msg1086573#msg1086573
1996 Toyota 4Runner 3.4 V6 3" OME Lift Springs 33" Duratracs

The Build:
Coming Soon

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Damn dude.. i say you swap in a new trans or 5speed and call it good. that thing is NICE!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wow Russell, I like that one.  Too bad about that title....hopefully you can pull off all you want and part the rest out.  With a straight body like that, you shouldn't have any problem.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Damn, your parts truck is in nicer shape than my DD Tacoma.

Let me know if there is anything you need:)

Thanks! I can't wait to get to the real detail stuff
Wow Russell, I like that one.  Too bad about that title....hopefully you can pull off all you want and part the rest out.  With a straight body like that, you shouldn't have any problem.

Yeah I thought too. So far I have had 100 calls and my friend is the only one that's come to grab what he wanted. If the body stuff doesn't sell then I may slap a driveline behind it and put tons under it and paint it pink. My girl can wheel it. It will be nicknamed the pink taco

just read thru this entire build great attention to detail man
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Yeah I thought too. So far I have had 100 calls and my friend is the only one that's come to grab what he wanted. If the body stuff doesn't sell then I may slap a driveline behind it and put tons under it and paint it pink. My girl can wheel it. It will be nicknamed the pink taco

DO IT!!!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Ok guys, need some advice. So i grabbed all my power windo stuff and started putting it in. I'm started thinking about door panels and what to do with speaker pods. Right now I have some huge fiberglass pods I made to mount my kids and highs but I'm looking at the 01 Trd panels and they have Factory high mounted up on the top. My speakers are all high end with black grills. Here's my question I need the advice on. Do it

A make an Oem panel with hidden speakers using Oem grills dyed black

Or

B make a clean aftermarket looking pod using the grills I have.

I'm wondering if my details are becoming too much to notice it all. The truck has an oem thing going but also an aftermarket look. The interior now has recaro seats and the taco dash with all Trd amber bulbs and alpine deck and eq. Hmmmmmmmmm
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
i say mod those TRD panels man!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well it's kinda the plan. Originally I was going to make the pods removable so I could swap to rock doors quick and easy but I have 4 more non power taco door harness so it's just speakers. I could buy a new set of cheaper speakers for those. I love to jam and it has to be clear so they are a must.

So I just finished the passenger door regulator. Used the motor from an 01 taco and the 86 4runner regulator with the plastic wheels off the Tacoma one cause te regulator was mangled. Lots of Lucas greese and they are as smooth as the fj and a little faster. They seal up super tight so now to do the drivers side and maybe start messing with panels this weekend.

Ok so i found the Tacoma door blade to fit perfect on the full window door. I had to make a tiny slit so the seal doesnt overlap but they are much tighter to the glass then any of the 10 old style ones I have found. The outside one is still old style but will be replaced with new cause I'm a freak.

Also looking at the non power Tacoma door panel in sections. I can trim it up and make it fit and wrap it.... It may even attach to my home made panels I have now. Then I can cut up the Trd arm rest and window switch mounting and glass that in to the flat board. I don't have room for map pockets:( but the speaker part of the panel will be grafted in and blend around the out side of the seat. So I figure I can cut the Trd panel and use 3 pieces out of it and have it look like it came that way.

Next question. I threw Round the 2 tone idea a while and don't know that I'm a fan. The Trd panel has a cloth insert. The panel will be done in leather but what to do about the insert? Suede? More like the new fabrics? Embroider Trd or something in them? I have access to all the stuff so now it comes down to what to do with it.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
that will look so sick russell!
cant wait to see it! I would love to have Tacoma door panels in my runner. they are so much nicer! and i think the early tacos.. the door panels pretty much line up on the 3rd gen trucks.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
While your at it, grab the center console - at least the front part off of a '01 to '04 taco.  They have a double pop out cup holder on the passenger side and a extra large cup holder on the back side  :thumbs:
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
While your at it, grab the center console - at least the front part off of a '01 to '04 taco.  They have a double pop out cup holder on the passenger side and a extra large cup holder on the back side  :thumbs:
no do want that. My only issue is that the leg room is already a killer on the passenger side. I'm building a center console that will have storage, my cb, and cupholders.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
that will look so sick russell!
cant wait to see it! I would love to have Tacoma door panels in my runner. they are so much nicer! and i think the early tacos.. the door panels pretty much line up on the 3rd gen trucks.

We tried to put it on a 3rd gen and they would still need to be shrunk down. Too long and too tall. 3rd gen pick ups have almost the same size door as mine. I had the door seals on cause they were thicker but pulled em off cause I didn't like them over lapping on the plastic B piller trim
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink

We tried to put it on a 3rd gen and they would still need to be shrunk down. Too long and too tall. 3rd gen pick ups have almost the same size door as mine. I had the door seals on cause they were thicker but pulled em off cause I didn't like them over lapping on the plastic B piller trim

could they be made into a hybrid with a 3rd gen? im mainly after the bottom part.
what you think?
if so thats something ill be looking into. just having the speakers in the doors themselves and sitting in a hole in the panels... secured and cleanly... scares me with people kickin em on accident.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
could they be made into a hybrid with a 3rd gen? im mainly after the bottom part.
what you think?
if so thats something ill be looking into. just having the speakers in the doors themselves and sitting in a hole in the panels... secured and cleanly... scares me with people kickin em on accident.

I think you could graft em in. Id build a base board for it all to go on and attach all the parts with screws or rivits and fiber glass it all together and wrap it.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I think you could graft em in. Id build a base board for it all to go on and attach all the parts with screws or rivits and fiber glass it all together and wrap it.

good idea!!!! Thanks russ
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
No prob! If you wanna make it really easy do it like stereo guys do and get something stretchy and that absorbs well and stretch it to a rough contour. You can reinforce it with matt or cloth but you mix your resin and put it right on the cloth. Use body filler to shape it exactly how you want. That's my plan at least.

Got my old bow in headliner in most of the way, a pillars I spray bombed and mounted with Tacoma grab handles and one in the factory location. Tonight will get some pics tomorrow
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
No prob! If you wanna make it really easy do it like stereo guys do and get something stretchy and that absorbs well and stretch it to a rough contour. You can reinforce it with matt or cloth but you mix your resin and put it right on the cloth. Use body filler to shape it exactly how you want. That's my plan at least.

Thats true!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well I got to work on my truck a few days last week. I put my old headliner in for now and some a piller trim in cause I was tired of feeling like the truck was gutted. Power windows are in but door panels are not finished that are just wood with fiberglass speaker pods and hanging 01 Tacoma switch panels. I will get some pics of the ghettoness of my interior today.

Im also hunting for an fj80 high pin front axle with locker to start building. I was going to do diamonds but I just can't afford it. I figure on 37s the stock birfs may last a while with as little as I wheel anymore and the type of trails I'm still wheeling due to learning the truck still.

I start my new job tomorrow so I will have normal money coming in for bills and all the side work money I make will be play money again so it's time to get back to getting this thing finished up.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well I have been MIA for a while.... Lots has happened to the truck. I really need to get pics off my phone.

Picked up a front locker for the truck. Just another e locker but for the price I couldn't beat it.

Went up to Rollins pass to help a buddy get unstuck and broke the top trenion bearing on the drivers side and drove to Nederland like that so I could get a trailer and take it home. While it was down I replaced everything in the front axle( this is before I got the locker sonthats goig to wait a few more weeks) I added Ifs hubs, v6 calipers, lc rotors and found a few worn steering parts to add to my list of parts to replace. I just got off the phone with the guys at marlin for rod ends and to find out about the knuckle rebuild kit. Forgot to get stickers tho!

The tires are smoked now due to the bearing braking so I went tire hunting and was going to get mtr kevlars but they don't make em in 15" wheels in a 37. The good news is I picked up a set of old school mtr 37/12.5/15 close to new for cheap. So once my rod ends get here I'm going to have it aligned, start hunting 30 splines and gear the e locker 3rd.

More new stuff. My buddy Jay has started on the rear bumper brackets and as soon as the shop were using to bend it all and notch it is available we will be doing the rear bumper and tire carrier. I'm changing the tip and fixing the bed sides and tail gate.

I also added the power window stuff and had all kinds of issues with it and the alarm. I think I posted about it but can't remeber. My buddy at car toys on 104th helped me out and fixed the previous installers mess.

My buddy's 88 extra cab went missing so i freaked out a bit. Had my alarm tweaked to be more sensitive and added the gps system my dad runs in his work trucks. If it goes missing I will go hunting.

That's my crappy update with no pics.

Anyone run nitro shafts and birfs? It's a toss up between those and longs. I'm tempted to just get longs but if the nitro stuff is as good it would be nice to save some coin for other toys.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Less talk more pics this time.

the night my bearing broke

going back together

ghetto windo switch mounting

needed a new plate frame cause the boulder toyota one will be ripped off soon after the bs i have delt with over our fj

oh hi!

the start of something beautiful

My partner in crime is getting old
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:57:15 PM by Russell_G »
My build

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Nice!  Fab work on the porch right in front of your new house :)  Glad to see you getting some rear armor there Russ!  Truck looks good.
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
This is my friends runner....also 3rz swapped

and a special treat...Pics from when i got the truck the first time.

right before i sold it

and the turbo motor i have had sitting for months waiting to go in a 4runner....looks like it may be sold this sunday
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Nice!  Fab work on the porch right in front of your new house :)  Glad to see you getting some rear armor there Russ!  Truck looks good.
Thanks Aaron, Thats at Jays house. I was down there last weekend but this weekend we will be up at my house working on it. Tryin to be done for takeover with the locker, 30splines and rear armor.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Rock that turbo engine... build it up :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Rock that turbo engine... build it up :P

That turbo motor went in a guys truggy from CoTTora. Its pretty built, Head work, cam, bottom end rebuild and mild bore, h1c turbo off a cummins, custom manifold, 440 injectors....it shouldnt have any problem smoking off his 40's

I still like my 3rz and think next year maybe i will grab a charger if i want more power.

Ok so axle rebuilt part 2.

Picked up the Trenion bearing eleminator, 30splines, had the elocker but got it geared saturday, wheel bearings and knuckle parts, arp stds through out the front axle, replaced all the tierods less then 2k miles ago, just gotta get the chromo hub gears. Also got hooked up on a stinger for the rear tire carrier. This should make takeover more fun. Cant wait for it all to be over!
My build

SloCrawler

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -116
  • Male Posts: 1,333
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
    • http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60800.msg856812#msg856812

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
H1C Turbo? a Holset HX40 is better :D that engine will definitely smokes those tires for sure.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8