Author Topic: Russell_G's 87 longbed build up. The door panels and interior wrap up.  (Read 144595 times)

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
FIRST BIG HANG UP TONIGHT!!!!

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165960

Tomorrow brings tare down :(
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

Peterbuilt84

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 1,049
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
    • Poly Goats
    • Buy me a beer
Sucks to hear. Hope you get it figured out soon. One of the nicest trucks I've seen.

Jud

• Scumbaggin
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -261
  • Male Posts: 3,067
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Gettin it since 1990
    • View Profile
I'd vote checking the cat first especially if it was glowing.
One Ton Single Cab  - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=48229

"bout tree fiddy"

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks guys im going to tare in to it tonight and see what i find. I was just going to knock the cat out but were getting emissions now so i will need to replace it if it melted.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Cat is not the issue. Still not running open header. Going for fuel filter now...Tanks coming out to replace lines anyways.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
FIXED!!! The fuel pump slid off the pick up tube. Added 4inches of fuel line and double clamped it and flared the end. of the pick up tube.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
 I took it out for a spin after i finished everything up and either all the parts i had loaded weigh that much OR the pump falling off and me trying to start it did some damage. The truck doesnt feel like its got all that much power....Its kinda lacking high end. im going to unload it and drive it tomorrow and see what happens. I have more stuff to move from the shop. If it still is lagging i am going to jump on my tune up stuff. I grabbed plugs, wires, BG44k, Seafoam, oil and filter, moa for the oil and lucas for the diffs and tranny/tcase. My other thought is that when i had the inline pump in it could have been restricting fuel flow cause it wasnt wired anymore and i was running lean...I would have more power but not so hot for the motor...hmmmm
My build

yjay

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 555
  • Member since Feb '09
  • SFA Station Wagon
    • View Profile
I always try Seafoam first. I love that stuff. Once a year, half a can down it's throat thru the master cyl. vacuum line, 1/4 can in the crank, the rest in the fuel. I have someone turn it off while putting a healthy dose of it in the vac. line and let it marinate for 15 minutes. Lite her back off and make sure it's not in the garage  :) I change the oil after running it for a bit. Remember to change the plugs after the Seafoam cause it can foul them.
Good luck. Hope it's something simple.
22re Daily Driver
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=56568.0
91 4Runner-R151f, MC07,23 spline duals, Marlin 1200lb clutch, 85 Front axle, Leaf swap rear, Yukon 5.29's, BFG KM2 35's, Detroit, OBA, 280k

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Im going to give that a try tomorrow. The weight is out and its driving much better. I think i was just feeling weird about it and still am. Now it seems to crank longer then normal too...My GF noticed that tonight. Tune up and then we will see what happens.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Im going to give that a try tomorrow. The weight is out and its driving much better. I think i was just feeling weird about it and still am. Now it seems to crank longer then normal too...My GF noticed that tonight. Tune up and then we will see what happens.

man its a new truck pretty much... :/
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thats my feeling on the whole thing. I wonder if i damaged the cat when it got hot. I may just punch it out anyways. I just dont want to be stranded again for something stupid.

Ok Lets side bar from that stuff for a bit. So I have wanted to get the interior done for a while and figgured the easy way to do it would be grab a roof off a parts truck to fiberglass the hard board headliner from the taco to fit my rig and then wrap it and put it in my rig. So today i went and picked up a roof section cut at roughly dash level. this will make doing the A and B piller trim easier. So i flipped the roof over in the garage after cleaning up my mess and started looking at it. I wont dive in to it for a day or so but i need a plan.....

So heres the list of options that COULD go in the headliner. I have all of them and want them in the truck but they can go other places if needed.
 Back up camera screen- Homelink(garage door opener buttons)-Map lights and dome light- Radar detector(still don't know if i even care about this anymore)

AH crap!!! I just though of something....I need to get a 4runner style one to mount on the rear of the cab too! If its really dark 2 would be helpful digging for stuff on trail or trying to find my phone on my late night adventures.....Going to give this some thought. The other option is just doing LED's in the front one and map lights....ya know i think that will work out ok cause my plate lights shine on the ground in a pretty big area and stock ones really don't. Answered my own question here...plus 2 may be tacky.

Ok SOOOOO heres my thought. I have the mirror on the glass now. Its the auto dimming mirror i talked about earlier(still need to hook it up but have no wiring diagrams 00 acura TL for those helpful people with connections. ) Im going to take a stock dome light from the tacoma(it fits with no mods IIRC) and just un screw the mirror part and fab a cover for the screw. The stock 80's map lights should still bolt to that. I was planning on molding the back up camera screen where the light was but wasn't thinking about the lights. Ok so back to the drawing board with mounting that....I think the home link will be best fit in the center of the headliner behind the map lights(thinking glass as the forward most part) and that way it saves a mess trying to make it work in a visor.

I could mount the screen under the light aginst the windshield BUT windshield replacement will be a PITA and i like my glass guy and am due next summer i assume(damn you CO rocks!!) I could also make a pod in the piller with it or on the dash like a tippy meter or even with one...Ok its getting cluttered on the dash. Piller would be the best i think. the dash is already kinda full with My stereo and EQ in the dins...My CB is going to wind up in the console or under an already cramped seat(I had to love music *Facepalm*)

So any input is always helpful...What do you guys think? Looking back on all the stuff im putting in to the truck im starting to feel like a ricer but its all useful. The back up camera is going to be helpful on trail and at home cause the neighbors have 6 kids and everyone else has 2-4.  I will have a tire carrier before summer so with the topper sides down and a 37 in the back window i wont be able to see shhhhh.

Been snapping pics as i kinda mock it up so when its not 4am i will post them...I just couldnt sleep and wanted this out of my head....yeah right that never works.

My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well i have been a full on slacker! After the headliner i stopped playing with the truck. I have a huge list of fix its and finish stuff. My reason for posting is My GF gave me an early Xmas present so i have been up putting it on.

XRC8 winch for the truck. I fixed my foglights and put them back on.and redid Wiring so you cant see it.

Pic

The addicted bumper fit the winch with no grill cutting needed. All i had to do was open up the fairlead mounting holes for the bigger bolts. Cake!!! Tucked all the wiring behind the grill and ran it through what used to be an airbox hole on the rad support from the days the cab was for 22r/re truck. Now its a great place for wiring cause the battery is right behind it.

Happy Holidays guys!!

Russell
My build

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Looks good Russ!!  You'll be happy with that winch.  It's nice knowing that you've got one just in case. 
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Hey what kind of headlights do you have? The look like the Hella brand ones that have a good solid cutoff line, almost like a projector headlight... Are they those ones?
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
They are made by Autopal you can get em on ebay. I had some hella crystal clear ones before that were sweet and never broke but didnt fit the look. The auto pal ones cracked my 2nd snow run last year.

Love the winch and cant wait to pull something...May se what kinda snow falls and do some snow bashing this week.
My build

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
Any snowbashing lately?  Any winch pulls?
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Man i haven't got out in a while. Last time i wheeled was in November for my bday. I ran MSV/Coney flats in the snow. I always wanted to do it so for my B-day i rounded up some friends and went bashing. I kinda fell off the map around the holidays..Lost 26 pounds i'm not happy about, Truck has needed some love for a while and im just getting back to it. Pics coming in a sec from wheeling

Edit...Face book is screwed up so i will have to get the pics from my girl. If your on facebook you can view them on my page
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well it happened...I should have kept my mouth shut.

I got a call from the guy with the junk yard i helped out for a while and hes shutting his doors. I toldhim i was going to come dig and grab one of the trannys he had as a spare. Mines had bearing noise this round. I thought i got a poor rebuild. Well the other night when it was like -20 here it started clicking in 5th. Then pulling in to the gym 1st clicked. well after a long night of lifting and a long time of warming up 1-2-3-5th clicked so i stopped at the gas station to grab a drink and reverse clicked leaving. 1st went from a click to a clunk and a hop. I drove home in 4th. got it to the garage and its now clicking at idle when the clutch is out. After much reading i have found that i have some bearings out that turned to possible chipped teeth.

So no biggie i picked up a tranny from that guy and cleaned it up..I will rock it for a while while i build one.

Work has been hella slow so i spent some time on my V6 calipers the other day. I have IFS hubs to throw on too. heres some pics.

The calipers are super white like the last set with brushed look fins. the edges around the brushed look is nimbus gray.

And a pic from the last time i took her out to play in the snow..Yes i washed her before putting her away..im weird.
« Last Edit: Feb 04, 2011, 08:47:19 PM by Russell_G »
My build

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
awesome pic of the truck,
sucks about the trans but it happens

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
very nice. :P too bad bout the trans man
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks guys. The bearings were louder then i remembered from day one. The past few weeks its been really hard to get in gear at lights and stuff. after the clicking started it has worked perfect. I picked up a braided stainless clutch line to replace my oem rubber one anyways. I also picked up a T100 master for the brakes to see if i can get it to work with my dual vacuum booster for more brake pressure with the new calipers.

This week brings more parts as soon as i get paid. I'm picking up another set of regulators to finish the doors, Ebrake cable cause i still dont have the front section and i know my rear brakes are not adjusting, Some little trim stuff im missing from all the parts i had before i moved the shop and cant find now. I need to get the fix it stuff and repairs dne before i can mod anymore so im getting on that. I'm planning on a front locker, Longs, hydro assist or f150 box over the summer. In that order.

I'm planning on going to take over and 4runner jambo here in CO this year and between the 2 i got suckered in to showing the truck at a mini truck show.
My build

bslh8tr

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 24
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
 :bowdown: I think your truck is  :thumbsup: And I wish more people were anal about there trucks and keeping them nice! We would probably get harassed by the cops a lot less! My GF thinks I'm weird for always washing my truck after I play. Well keep up the good work :beerchug:
1986 4Runner SAS

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks,

New tranny is in. The old one has chipped teeth i can see looking down through the shifter hole. Its rough and the main shaft feels loose.

Longstory short i had rebuilt shifters with the marlin stuff while i was building the truck but a guy i knew used them to get home one night and pull a fast one on me and gave me back some worn out crap. Now im trying to get it apart to see what the deal is cause if i pull up on the shift lever its tight and feels great but if i let it rest the thing can spin. Im guessing the ball seat is busted, worn or gone but cant even figure out how to take this thing apart. I see a bunch with snap rings and stuff but mine just has a funny looking ball thing on the top. anyone have ideas?
My build

86rustbucket

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 45
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
i think you just push that ball down and turn it, then the shifter will come loose.   

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Thanks man, I tried that but im going back out to play with it more. The FSM says it has a special tool.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
So i got the shifter and everything in with new OEM bushing...Should have got marlins but i was in a pinch to get to work the next day and boulder toyota hooked me up again.

the truck drives amazing! so quiet and smooth..The old tranny must have had something wrong with the bearing for a long time.I bent the shifters so they don't hit anymore in 2nd of if the reduction box is in low. I'm super happy about that!

I spilled some gear oil when i was filling it and when i was at work i noticed some sitting on the tcase skid...Well its been snowing so i havent had a chance to wash it tel today. I sprayed it off and hope that oil stays gone.
My build

Russell_G [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Well it's been a busy weekend to say the least. I took my Gti from the 3rd car section to my grandmas house Saturday and drug home a new pile. It's a 95 Tacoma 2.7 autotragic. Insay this because the transmission or something in that area locked up and broke the bellhousing in half. It drove far enough to get off the highway I was told but no more then that. I picked her up for parts thinking about how I needed a new headliner after messing mine up and a few odds and ends to complete my truck. Well I get it home not even thinking to look at the headliner and it's the wrong one! But the plus side is it has working cruise, and the trim pieces I need to finish up my tilt column install. It has some brackets, clips and stuff I found that mine was missing when I got it and on top of alll that it's super clean. If the title wasn't jacked up I'd daily it.

On my way home with it I noticed a tire low on the trailer and stopped off at a friends house and saw his weeks purchase. He has 2 80's runners. I pop open the door and boom power everything! I told him I'm snagging it all off him and he was cool with it so now my truck will have proper windows that work when the doors are closed! I toyed with the idea of cutting the roof off of it for a sunroof but think I may pass on painting my cab again. He also has the ebrake bits i need to get that in working order. I'm going to grab it all next weekend when I go over to do my IFS hubs. He's done it before and said he would give me a hand cause I read so much stuff on it and eventually make my self crazy thinking about it and if it's right.

Were both trying to get our rigs ready for ttora co take over and the 4 runner jambo. His runner is about the same set up as mine but an older 3rz like my parts truck has.

Well that's my tiny update for now. I have the truck posted on cottora if anyone needs anything off of it. My number is listed on the ad.
My build

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
you should take the rear axle :P
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8