Author Topic: Going from Coils to Leaf Springs on a 95 Runner  (Read 1606 times)

fister45

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
Going from Coils to Leaf Springs on a 95 Runner
« on: May 02, 2009, 11:52:10 AM »
I am currently working on my "MONEY PIT" 95 4Runner that is in the works as a rock crawler, yet street legal. I am doing a SAS and running 5.29's with a detroit rear and probably similar front (still deciding). The problem that I am running into is I hate the coil spring suspension. I know most people love it but I don't. I want the front to match the rear. Plus I have had experience with the leafs in my 85 4Runner that I under extreme stupidity sold. So here is my question. Has anyone done this swap and can you help me out. I am going to use TG Rock Assualt housing with classic lift of 5inches but I can't remember how the leafs were set up and cutting out all the coils crap, SO PLEASE HELP!! Does anyone know the exact measurements of the spring mounts front and rear from the rear frame on a 86-89 4Runner? PLEASE HELP :bowdown:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 07:07:48 AM by fister45 »
Wifey rolled my 4Runner so now I get to build it the way I want.

whokrz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 246
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
    • gentryoffroad.com
First off I would not spend $400 on the TG Rock Assault housing. If you want a custom axle look at a diamond it is more money but you can have it build anyway you like, such as full floating with a 8.4 taco diff(strong). In short $400 is a lot of money to still have a V6 differential in your axle.
As for where to mount you spring and shackle hangers, it just depends where you want your axle to sit in relation to the body. I have my rear axle moved back from a stock location because I didn't want to cut the sheet metal by the rear doors to clear 37" MTRs. I would place your axle where you want it for your needs just make sure both sides are the same distance apart and it is square.
You might want to use springs other than trail gear, like marlin's springs. I would research the springs some people have had problems with them. You could also use Toyota junk yard springs if you want to save money.
If your 4runner is a daily driver I would recommend driving a rig that has a auto locker in it just so you know what you are getting into. Here is a review for a auto locker to give you an idea.
http://www.gentryoffroad.com/php/generalinformation/productreview/lockrite/
1990 4runner, 22re, R151, 4.7, 5.29s, E-locker front, Lock-Rite rear, 37" MTRs, 51" rears all around
Trail Reviews http://www.gentryoffroad.com
Toyota Factory Service Manuals http://ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
I already talked to John Robertson from TG on how John Gabriel from TG did it.

1990-1995 Rear Leafs

5in Trail Gear Springs

front mount: 1.5in forward of hole in frame
rear mount: 6in from rear of frame.

6in shackle

or you can read up on his write up.
http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5153
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

fister45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
THK90: Thanks for everything, I already cut off the coil stuff with a torch (lots of grinding to do) and I also was going to contact John Gabriel on how he did it. I would really like to say thanks for doing the leg work and will let you know how it turns out. As far as the v6 rear end, I already have one that is Detroit locked am pretty sure I don't have the time to take my 95 rear and torch off all the coil crap vs. buying a TG Rock Assault housing. No, I am not made of money by no means, in fact I am a junkyard aficionado. But like I stated time is money and time is what I have little of. But still thank you for your input and I am never one to tell someone they are wrong because I do not believe what they believe, in fact you are most likely right. Again thanks for all your help and I will keep it posted as how it looks and rolls.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Not a problem, I have a 90 4Runner I'll be doing this to when it goes under the knife next Tax Time. So any info you want to post after&during your conversion..... would be appreciated.

I like helping out when I can.

What'd I'd do since I know your strapped on cash... as most of us are.
find an 86-95 IFS Truck Rear Axle Housing.. as it is already Leaf Sprung.... no need to torch brackets off, etc.
and toss your V6 locked third into it.
That's my plan, I already have access to several 86-89 rear axles.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Not a problem, I have a 90 4Runner I'll be doing this to when it goes under the knife next Tax Time. So any info you want to post after&during your conversion..... would be appreciated.

I like helping out when I can.

What'd I'd do since I know your strapped on cash... as most of us are.
find an 86-95 IFS Truck Rear Axle Housing.. as it is already Leaf Sprung.... no need to torch brackets off, etc.
and toss your V6 locked third into it.
That's my plan, I already have access to several 86-89 rear axles.

exactly what i was gonna say. look for and 86-95 truck rear end, or the rear from a runner 86-89. like THK said already leafs, no need for torching or grinding useless brackets. save yourself a bunch of money and tehn get some diff armor for the new housing. :twocents:
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

fister45 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '06
  • And How!!
    • View Profile
Thanks guys, I am on craigs list right now trying to find just what you guys were thinking. I was sitting there pondering that same thing. Going to go find me one.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
and if you really want a cheap u-bolt flip kit for the rear.
go to the junk yard and get a set of 84-89 2WD U-bolt plates. they are Spring Under Alxe and already have the plates above the avle.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8