Poll

For those who run/have run the new MTRs, what is your opion of them?

Best Tire Ever
Awesome, huge improvement over previous design
Comparable to old design
Almost as good as the original MTRs
They suck bawlz

Author Topic: New MTRs with Kevlar  (Read 53936 times)

muddywaters

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Jan '08
  • back to basics
    • View Profile
Re: New MTRs with Kevlar
« Reply #180 on: Jun 15, 2011, 03:28:38 AM »
where can you get those mtr's for r/c cars i would so run them on my slash those are sweet lol

those 1.9 two face tires suck.  i have them.  i have about every tire rc4wd makes.  the problem with the two face is the tire is to wide and the tread is too shallow.  they might work on a slash on a hard packed surface, but as far as on a scale truck they only work somewhat well on grippy rock.  thats it.  you will struggle to find traction anywhere else.

the 2.2 two face has been redesigned narrower and with deeper lugs.  that would be my choice. 

rc4wd's rubber compound is just not in the same category as pro line or others. 

The new 1.9 Pitbulls are the truth.
Im like Hugh Hefner minus everything good about his life.

IMMUDDY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Jun 15, 2011, 06:29:35 AM »
Weel I had hoped to be running MTR's this summer. I ordered and payed for a set of 38" MTR's back in April. After waiting and waitin I gave up on getting MTR's and picked up instead a set of 37" IROK's. Not sure on other sizes but in the 38x14.5x17 they are either way behind on production or have stopped all together. Sweet tire if you ask me based on me drooling over them for the last few months while waithing for them. Maybe next summer i'll get my hands on a set.

On a side note.
The MTR's cost  $1760 OTD
The IROK's cost $1320 OTD
So with the difference in the cost of tires being like $400
I got a XRC8 winch with synthetic line.
Not a bad trade.
If I hit it just right, I might make it.

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Jun 15, 2011, 12:17:52 PM »
How do the 37x12.5x17 work on and off road on our toyotas? They have a D load rating. Isn't that a bit high for a Toyota? My 37x12.5x15 Iroks have a C rating and they hardly mushroom with 9psi.

And how well do they balance?

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Jun 16, 2011, 06:51:46 PM »
How do the 37x12.5x17 work on and off road on our toyotas? They have a D load rating. Isn't that a bit high for a Toyota? My 37x12.5x15 Iroks have a C rating and they hardly mushroom with 9psi.

And how well do they balance?

Thats a good point, curious to hear feedback on this question.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

muddywaters

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 73
  • Member since Jan '08
  • back to basics
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Jun 17, 2011, 03:10:26 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/user/symon623

this guy is running 37x12.50x17 on his toyota.   he has quite a few videos with a varied mix of terrain.  good vids to watch if you are interested in these tires.  they seem to work pretty well for him.   

my 37" rockers are E rated and at 32 psi my front tires started to bulge already.  i was really surprised.     
Im like Hugh Hefner minus everything good about his life.

yota18

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 448
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Jun 18, 2011, 07:51:31 PM »
did a run on my 35/12.5/15 didnt air down and they gripped so well here are a few picks

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #186 on: Jun 20, 2011, 10:26:51 PM »
how do these fair on the ice or hard packed snow?, are these a good choice for dd as well? thanks
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

jcook

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 23
  • Member since Sep '11
  • 4X4Him.org Bakersfield
    • View Profile
    • 4x4Him Bakersfield
« Reply #187 on: Sep 22, 2011, 07:13:51 PM »
Im running a set of 35x12.50 on my jeep jk unlimited.  I love em.  I run about 24 pounds on the road and about 12 on the trails, handles well in both.  I haven't had any punctures, flats or lost a bead in the 9 months and over 8000 miles, they look barely worn.  They did great on the con and have done well in the snow as well. Good overall tire.
James
as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

84toytank

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:20:06 PM »
i have them on my 84 x cab and love em awsome tires quite on road and do great in rocks check out toytank on youtube
ToyTanK
yoda power!!!!!

madmothamike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: Jul 09, 2012, 09:52:07 PM »
I am currently running 37x12.50 old style MTR's on my pickup. I love these tires so much. But I must say i will be running the new style for my next set of tires. I had seen the new style in action several times and i must say they perform well in the terrain I wheel in.
when the tire pressure drops the bullsh** stops

cali4runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -45
  • Male Posts: 124
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Aug 07, 2012, 09:01:56 PM »
Any more info on these?  My buddy at Americas tire almost has me sold on them.....

i just order some today for 187.54 a piece... they are 31x10.50

yoshaleng

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 134
  • Male Posts: 1,258
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Aug 07, 2012, 11:44:37 PM »
I'm running them on my 87 runner...they did great on trail @10 psi and very smooth on pavement @ 30psi.

Russell_G

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 389
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Sep 05, 2012, 01:45:25 AM »
So i went from 37/12.5/15 old mtr to the 37/12.5/17 mtr kevlar. Right away i noticed they are WAY heavy. My truck felt the weight. My mpg went down from a solid 27 to 16.8 once i added the new axles and stuck them out further i see 14-15. They are much louder then my old tires. Again sticking them out made that worse. My first trail run i hated them. Couldnt get them to bulge at all. I was with a guy from the tire shop and he said they need to be broken in. Run em low pressure. so i dropped to 3psi and 5 psi and still hated them. I drove the 20miles home aired down trying to get them softer. The ride was rough as hell on the trail. From the shake down that i hated i went to the CO 4unner jambo. First trail was wheeler lake. They did ok. Super stiff still. I dropped to below 10psi and i thought they were pretty rough. They grabbed ok. The trail isnt a super hard trail but has some spots that require a fair amount of traction and a few where the soft sidewall would be awesome. Day 2 i ran Chinaman and went to 3 psi. Hardly a bulge but they were starting to. This trail has a few harder spots and i ran this trail with my old set up a bunch the year before. This year i had issues where the year before i walked stuff. On smooth rock in a dusty area traction wasnt a thought. I could get on the edge of stuff id make a foot over the edge and with a little but of spin the tires would stick and go the year before. I think at one point the new mtrs were hot and felt slick. I left the event really sick of the tires. As for my feelings now...They bulge a little they are softer but i kinda like they are not super soft. i hate the weight and i hate the lower mpg. I will just say this..Im thinking that if discount doesn't stand behind what i was told when i got them and my wheels i will be selling them and going to something else.. The issue is not tire related its a service issue. ...I dont love em like i did my old mtr.

some old pics...

some new

If I walk away happy from the store i got them i just hope they are worth a crap in the snow. I will keep em and see if they really do need to brake in.
87 longbed bobbed 12inches, locked,geared,Tacoma dash, 3rz swap Its a never ending project.
My build
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=58589.0

hiluxman69

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '12
  • Play Hard, Tread Lightly
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Sep 08, 2012, 05:13:06 PM »
I had a set of the new set of 37' MTRs but didnt like how they preformed so took them back and swapped them for the old stlye 37's. I found they are a awsome rock crawling tyre but in the mud they just dont preform.