Author Topic: Any members in the US Air Force?  (Read 7282 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Any members in the US Air Force?
« on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:23:07 AM »
I will soon be shipping off to basic training as a member of the US Air Force! and want to talk to some fellow service people about some stuff before I ship out.

My ship date is 21 July 09, going in for Mechanical Aptitude Index, will pick my tech school in BMT

CROSS INTO THE BLUE
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Any members in the US Air Force?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2009, 10:17:08 AM »
 :usa: Good luck Jim, try and make a career of it. I know it gets hard sometimes but in the end it is worth it. Once retired it opens the world in gov. jobs for you and you get to take the time with you, it's transferable.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2009, 11:40:22 AM »
nice :thumbs: i passed my year mark back in march and i'm stationed up in Utah, EOD tech.

get the job you want IN WRITING!!! start doing pushups, airsquats, and flutter kicks as well as running. remember your TI is there to try and break you down then build you up, they will threaten to recycle you anytime you mess up, gotta do something real bad to actually get sent back though. if you feel sick and are considering going to medical (besides a cold pack), wait until you get to tech school. basic aint long and remember it ends.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2009, 12:04:54 PM »
True boot is mainly a mental and physical mind game they play on you, keep that in mind and you'll be fine. Remember though it is also a test of those same capabilities so do your best go in ahead of the game and kick butt.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2009, 03:21:57 PM »
yea you will have some really funny memories in basic, showers suck

USAF EOD tech

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2009, 04:06:37 PM »
yea you will have some really funny memories in basic, showers suck

jim if you get a funny feeling while in the shower just think could be worse  you could be in the :bath: with me :thumbsup:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2009, 04:38:37 PM »
Well done, Jim.  I got a brother in there, joined 5 years ago.  Within 4 years, he owns a house and drives a BMW X5.  Married and bought his wife a BMW also.  Getting another promotion and doing even better later this year.  I think he goes officer next year or after, not sure.  But one fact rises to the top - he is set for life.  And he's only 25.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
I responded to your PM but I decided to shoot you a little info on here too.  I also went in with a mechanical open slot, I had a guaranteed CCT slot, but I couldn't wait until my original ship date, so I took the mech open.  In like my 3rd week of training they gave me a list of 24 jobs and said pick 8 in the order I wanted.  My first two choices were ammo and armament which I was DQ'd from due to depth perception (so don't pick anything that has to do with ordinance, it is a wasted choice) other then those two I wound up with my first pick, aerospace propulsion.  I am now in Northern Italy, 50 minutes outside of Venice at the base of the Alps working the flight line on F16's (well F16 engines, the F110 to be exact)  I love my job and I love being in the AF, not one day have I woken up and regretted my decision, not even in basic.  Don't let anyone tell you open mech is a bad job (especially since the AF doesn't guarantee jobs anymore). 

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2009, 08:10:25 AM »
Jim, my bro's in the USAF, stationed now in MT. He's on my Space.. look him up - Drizzintahl - I'm sure he'll be willing to answer any questions you may have. He's been in for 17 months.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2009, 07:56:58 PM »
:usa: Good luck Jim, try and make a career of it. I know it gets hard sometimes but in the end it is worth it. Once retired it opens the world in gov. jobs for you and you get to take the time with you, it's transferable.

Same here.

I know tons of guys down here working in Business Aviation...A&Ps and Sparkys. Drawing military pensions and making decent money on the job.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

green73

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 07:59:38 AM »
Stay away from any 2W based AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) choices. Those are weapons loading career fields.  Not too much in the outside world for jobs loading missiles/bombs on civilian aircraft. 2A based is aircraft maintenance. Plenty of jobs in the outside for those careers. There are many other choices of course, but these are the main ones I am used to. If you want to work on the latest stuff in avionics 2A3X3 (my AFSC, I used to be 2A371 F15,A10,U2 Avionics) is the career field (F22/F35/CV22/F16 Avionics). In the civilian side anything related to the F35 will be huge in the international job market in the future.

Congrats on the BMT date!
FJ40, with a few additions.
1996 FZJ80: Stock

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2009, 08:41:36 AM »
Stay away from any 2W based AFSC (Air Force Specialty Code) choices. Those are weapons loading career fields.  Not too much in the outside world for jobs loading missiles/bombs on civilian aircraft. 2A based is aircraft maintenance. Plenty of jobs in the outside for those careers. There are many other choices of course, but these are the main ones I am used to. If you want to work on the latest stuff in avionics 2A3X3 (my AFSC, I used to be 2A371 F15,A10,U2 Avionics) is the career field (F22/F35/CV22/F16 Avionics). In the civilian side anything related to the F35 will be huge in the international job market in the future.

Congrats on the BMT date!

My wife is a 2W.  She is armament on F16's, loves her job but there isn't :pokinit: for her as a civilian.  I am a 2A631 Aerospace propulsion.  I'm the greasiest of the grease monkeys but there is a huge private sector for jet engine mechanics.  How long have you been in the AF green?  As you can tell from my AFSC I am fresh.  Gotta love that nice 3 level haha.

green73

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2009, 09:59:26 AM »
13 years, all in Avionics (pointy head). No I am not the type that doesn't help crew chefs and engine troops. Those types annoy the crap out of me. I had no problems jumping intakes on the F-15 (F100 and F220 engines) helping with a bore scope. I have no issues helping removing and installing engines. I'll help with an AMAD or hydro pump change. Since it is me that usually diagnoses actuators as bad, I'll also help change them too. Since I have been on the F-22 I was engine run certified for a couple years (the F119 in full AB is truly a kick in the pants), and got to travel around on the Demo team as well. Had to be self sufficient in that job. Now I am assisting programs at Edwards. It's been a fun ride so far that's for sure.
FJ40, with a few additions.
1996 FZJ80: Stock

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2009, 11:04:22 AM »
I learned in tech school on the F100-220 and the F100-100.  That's good you help out, I'm sure it makes all the crew chiefs and engine guys you work with pretty happy.  I have heard the F119 is a blast to work on, no safety wire or anything.  We have F110-100's here at Aviano.  I wanted Avionics originally, but couldn't book a slot when I came in.  I'm happy with my career choice though.  Maybe some day I'll be a Chief in a props flight or AMU  :yupyup: I guess it doesn't hurt to shoot for that haha.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
i'm glad i dont work flightline, yall get some absurd hours both stateside and deployed. only time i come near the flightline is when something goes wrong lol

USAF EOD tech

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 04:39:46 AM »
i'm glad i dont work flightline, yall get some absurd hours both stateside and deployed. only time i come near the flightline is when something goes wrong lol

1400-0200 atleast 5 days a week.  Makes me laugh when I hear of civilians bitching about their hours haha.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 06:56:59 AM »
haha thats true!!! i have pt from 07-08 everyday then work until 1600 unless somebody calls in a bomb threat or something goes wrong with ordnance. or i'm gone on tdy lol

USAF EOD tech

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »
yeah I'm going to Afghanistan in february so my hours will depend on what's broken I guess.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2009, 10:16:39 AM »
in country is always differant hours

USAF EOD tech

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2009, 10:22:07 AM »
Where are you stationed right now Red?  How long have you been in the AF?

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2009, 03:02:40 PM »
Hill AFB up in northern Utah. i'm the new guy at the shop but i've been in for about 15 months now.

USAF EOD tech

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2009, 01:22:46 PM »
Graduating tech school on Tuesday!

2T231

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2009, 04:54:59 PM »
congrats!!!

USAF EOD tech

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:09:06 PM »
Thanks red

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2009, 07:13:14 PM »
I GRADUATED!!!!! GOT A CERTIFICATE OF ACHIEVEMENT ALSO, FOR MAINTAINING A 90% AVERAGE

~ John F. Kennedy ~