Author Topic: Good Clutch Shop in LA???  (Read 2019 times)

Anglewood

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Just a NorCal Boy down in SoCal.
    • View Profile
Good Clutch Shop in LA???
« on: Sep 27, 2004, 11:54:52 PM »
Hey all, been lurkin' for a while and I finally have a question,

For a little while now I have felt my clutch slipping under acceleration. It isn't quite gone yet, but I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations a) for a good clutch (looking at Marlin at the moment obviously), and b) a good place to get it done in the West Los Angeles area. I live in an apartment, so doing the job myself is out of the question. I have a guy back home (NorCal) that I know will do the job right but he is pricey and it would be a couple of months before I get back up there. I am just looking for someone who could do it if a problem turns up before then. BTW My truck is an '88 pickup and has 188+ Thousand miles on the 22R-E and what could be the original clutch. So far it still works for freeways on the way to work and back, but I would be leary of tackling the Grapevine with a load. Thanks in advance for any info and I look forward to hearing back.

Lates,

Connor
'88 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with 209+ on the 22R-E, and 15x8 AR-23s shod with 31x10.50 BFGs and spinning a Marlin Clutch.  Just added... On Board Air!

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
Re: Good Clutch Shop in LA???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2004, 12:21:09 AM »
I just got the Marlin HD clutch (1200#) and I haven't installed it yet but I did my research before buying a clutch and that is the only way to go.  Can't help ya in the way of where to have it installed because I live in WA.  good luck
in the projects nooga, anything goes

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2004, 12:49:56 AM »
I might know someone in South Central...I'll have to find out for you,he's a smog tech/mechanic.I'll give him a call and get back to you.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

Anglewood [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2004, 06:40:58 AM »
Hey IJ,

I actually work in South Central, and may be interested in who you can find, thanks in advance.

Lates,

Connor
'88 Toyota 4x4 Pickup with 209+ on the 22R-E, and 15x8 AR-23s shod with 31x10.50 BFGs and spinning a Marlin Clutch.  Just added... On Board Air!

Anglewood [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2004, 12:53:56 AM »
Just thought I would revive my post,

I have already talked to one shop local to me, and he said that he would not use an aftermarket part for a replacement (lost my business).  To further the question (the previous one still stands) would the 1200# or 1600# be a better choice for my application?  Right now the truck is my daily driver, taking me about 15 miles to work and back with the occasional longer trip around the greater LA area or to NorCal.  Once I build the bank account, (tough to do on a teacher's salary) I will be getting something a little newer and start building my rig for offroad use, say in about a year or so.  I am trying to plan wisely so I don't end up upgrading later what I could do now.  Thanks again for any replys.

Lates,

Connor

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2004, 01:20:07 AM »
Hey there Mr.Anglewood,sorry I never replied,but I never noticed that you had replied to me,and I hadn't seen you on here in a few days,(guess those 8th graders are a handful huh?)glad to see you're still around,I'll find out as soon as I can.My buddie is kind of close to the 101,near Vermont,and 51st street.I'll let you know if you're still looking for someone to do your clutch.
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com