Author Topic: ??????????????? bolting on RF1A behind a 2000 3.4 Automatic tranny  (Read 2178 times)

Ahbustae86

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
I'm in the process of planning a 3.4 motor swap into my 91 4 runner.  I was thinking of doing the Dana 44 wagoneer axle up front, but I really wanted to use my 85 front axle thats already geared and locked.  I am using the Automatic tranny that came with the 2000 3.4. I guess what I'm trying to do is find a way to get my transfercase to drop on the passenger side. My question is how easy will it be to mate the RF1A to my 3.4 auto tranny and what parts do I need? 

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 261
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
http://marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/t/c-adapters/1995-2004-5vz-fe-34-liter-v6-drivetrains

Ditch the chain driven case. Don't go through the hassle trying to adapt it.
Bobbed 84 xtra cab, pickin up parts as I go.

If at first you do not succeed, put it in 4low and try again.

Ahbustae86 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
http://marlincrawler.com/transfer-case/t/c-adapters/1995-2004-5vz-fe-34-liter-v6-drivetrains

Ditch the chain driven case. Don't go through the hassle trying to adapt it.

Are you saying to ditch the idea of mating the RF1A and just use a Dana 44? or adapt the RF1A, but make sure to use the gear driven one.

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
Are you saying to ditch the idea of mating the RF1A and just use a Dana 44? or adapt the RF1A, but make sure to use the gear driven one.

Use the gear drive case if you want pass. drop. Marlin makes an adapter and so does inchworm. If you want to clock it make sure the marlin adapter clocks in the direction you want. I used the inchworm adapter and it will clock in either direction. Don't be afraid to buy from inchworm Jim is a great guy and his customer service is top notch.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
It would be so much easier to run a gear driven case (gear driven is from a 4 cyl truck) then trying to use your old chain drive case. Chain drives are basically a dead end since you cant use them for dual cases or anything.

Ahbustae86 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
It would be so much easier to run a gear driven case (gear driven is from a 4 cyl truck) then trying to use your old chain drive case. Chain drives are basically a dead end since you cant use them for dual cases or anything.

84xcab- Thanks for the input.  Have you adapted the RF1A to a Tacoma auto trans before? 

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
Sorry bro, i completly spaced out and was thinkin that the RF1A was a chain drive. All you need to adapt your RF1A t-case to it is marlins adapter I listed in the link above. The things I meant are not worth it to adapt are the VF1A, VF2A, and A340H chain drive t-cases.
« Last Edit: Mar 03, 2009, 07:24:18 PM by 84xcab »

Ahbustae86 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Sorry bro, i completly spaced out and was thinkin that the RF1A was a chain drive. All you need to adapt your RF1A t-case to it is marlins adapter I listed in the link above. The things I meant are not worth it to adapt are the VF1A, VF2A, and A340H chain drive t-cases.

Thanks.  Yeah, I would only use the gear T/Case cause I might want to go all out and upgrade to Dual case and gears.