Author Topic: Failed Smog, Need Help  (Read 2285 times)

YOguyDa

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
Failed Smog, Need Help
« on: Feb 26, 2009, 10:46:56 AM »
Alright guys, i failed smog the other day.

1986 2wd, 5spd, 22r, carb'd, ran straight gas. Passed emissions with flying colors 2 years ago.
I usually run my timing a bit advanced and run premium, but I had to set it back to 0 degrees so the computer jokey wouldn't fail me on the visual. Places like Smog n Go are nit picky about that kind of stuff and WILL fail you even if you pass the emissions test.

Truck was nice and toasty, but they had it idle for AT LEAST 20 minutes b4 putting it on the dyno....The retard was scratching his head the whole time, walking in circles and looking in two different manuals for what seemed like forever (probably couldnt figure out where it was supposed to be timed, since i have no sticker?). Then, he got under my truck with a mirror and a flashlight??? Looking for an o2 maybe? Who knows... Its carb'd.

A week ago it started loading up on me real bad in the mornings and now whenever i let off the gas a bit and get back on it while driving, it wants to jerk/hesitate/choke a bit. It feels like its running rich off idle and im sure the smog results will help you guys see the big picture.

Just want some input before i start tearing open the carb.

btw, truck is all tuned up: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, pvc, egr, oil are all good. Just wondering if im headed down the right path with the carb being the culprit.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks:)
'86 2wd now...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: Failed Smog, Need Help
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009, 02:55:51 PM »
The mirror would be checking to see if you have a cat.  If you have a CA smog vehicle, you should have an O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold.

You likely have a couple of issues, air injection valve, bad cat, valve adjustment, or the carb needs to be rebuilt.  The running issues sounds like it is the carb, any blue smoke in the exhaust, does it smell rich when standing behind it?

The after market cats don't last very long either.  They have a smaller catalyzing chamber and less materials in them, and is why oem ones cost so much.
Here is a pic between oem and a Magnaflow replacement.

The "X" in the pic is the size of the catalyzing chamber in each cat.
the mangaflow one will only pass smog when it is hot, right off the highway hot, not after it has been idling.

Your HC's aren't that bad, a new cat would knock them down, but not the CO's, not enough to get you below 1.32. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:41:11 PM »
move states,you get alot less crap when there are alot less people around
it's not me, it's you

YOguyDa [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 67
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2009, 12:29:18 PM »
Passed smog this morning....

I went to pull the carb and found a small chunk of steel wool stuck in my primary...Goes to show how simple things can ruin your day. That piece of steel wool probably cost me $30 in gas and a failed smog....Luckily i had a free retest.

Learn from my mistakes, haha
'86 2wd now...

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2009, 11:25:07 PM »
Nice catch, you could have spent a lot of money and time fixing the usual suspects and still failed.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod