Author Topic: Failed Smog need help.  (Read 3877 times)

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
Failed Smog need help.
« on: Nov 20, 2003, 07:11:35 PM »
I took the fateful smog test today and to my dismay failed.  My CO was too high.  The test only guy was an ass and wouldn't give me any advice.  I talked to a couple other mechanics and they advised that I need to rebuild my carb.  My papers showed that the carb was way rich even though I just had it adjusted at a mechanic.  I am considering buying the weber.  Any advice is needed.
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re:Failed Smog need help.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2003, 08:46:24 PM »
generaly you don't need to adjust your stock carb.  there should have been a plug covering the low speed mixture screw.  if it is running improperley you should rebuild it.

as far as the weber.  i run them cause they are simpler and easier to work on.  there is a C.A.R.B. aproved one you can get.  make sure it has the tag on it.

have you spent any time with a shop manuel and tested the various functions on the stocker?  i have found that the AAP valve tends to go out a lot.  so does the idle jet sylinoid.  how it the choke operation?  the AAP valve was about 35 bucks from toyota 5 years ago.
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

95TacoTruck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2003, 09:24:42 PM »
I hear about that plug on the mixture, I have 3 carbs and I have yet to see that plug.  The idle was bad so I tried to adjust the idle screw didn't work, so I tried the mixture and I F'd it up worse.  Then I took it to my mechanic who adjusted the thing properly.  Now it is still running too rich which 3 mechanics including a carb shop said means I need an overhaul.  I priced an overhaul at $392 dollars so I can get a weber cheaper but I want to be sure it will not put out rich readings too otherwise id rather just rebuild this one.  

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2003, 01:21:52 AM »
Hey 85ToyBoy,

hawaii500_1999 knows his stuff.
This does not pertain to any advice with carburators, but it does cover some basic guidelines that I would recommend for improving your Smog results:
How to Pass Smog

Well.. I just checked the link and you've already posted there so this won't help ya any. I'll leave this post for others to find the older post through.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

hawaii500_1999

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Watch this!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2003, 06:17:04 PM »
I hear about that plug on the mixture, I have 3 carbs and I have yet to see that plug.  The idle was bad so I tried to adjust the idle screw didn't work, so I tried the mixture and I F'd it up worse.  Then I took it to my mechanic who adjusted the thing properly.  Now it is still running too rich which 3 mechanics including a carb shop said means I need an overhaul.  I priced an overhaul at $392 dollars so I can get a weber cheaper but I want to be sure it will not put out rich readings too otherwise id rather just rebuild this one.  

if you don't want to over haul the carb yourself and the best price you can find is 392 then i would definatley vote for the weber.

on the other hand if something other is wrong with your carb and the mechanic tried to fix it by adjusting the idle mixture screw then you might be chasing your tail.  did you or the mechanic write down exactley how many turns the stock setting was before turning it?  if so put it back to where the factory set it and start testing the carb.  i find the chiltons manuel on these trucks to be very helpful with this.  the tests are very simple, they involve stuff like pulling a vacum line and looking for a squirt of feul in the barrels or pulling a vacum manuely to make it die, among other things.  give it a try.  if anything you will come out of this knowing a lot about your carb.

i would check that AAP valve first.  usually if it's bad there will be gas in the vac line.  pull the vac line after it has been running and see if there is fuel in it.  

or if you don't want to mess with it buy the weber and bolt it on.  i definatley like the webers better.  they have smooth acceleration and are prety reliable.  

did you know that the stock 22r carb has more CFM than the 33b weber?

good luck
mike
1985 4runner on 35 boggers.  22re, W56 tranny, daul cases with 4:1 in the back case, ford f150 fronts with 63" chevys in the back, cross over steering, full width chevy axles with detroit back and ARB front,

95TacoTruck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2003, 05:17:45 PM »
Maybe I am not saying it right I dunno.  I messed with the mixture thinking that it was my problem when I had another problem.  After I realized that, I fixed the other problem and then the mixture was off cause I screwed with it and I had no idea where it was actually supposed to be.   I took it to my mechanic who said he adjusted it to where it was supposed to be it runs fine.  Both mechanics I have talked to said that the setting is good if I wanted performance but too rich to smog with and my readings are beyond what can be adjusted by the mixture screw.  They said that the power valve or Jet or something like that is probably worn and allowing too much fuel in.  They said that the only way to fix that is an overhaul.  I want a weber but just want to know that it doesn't come with a huge power valve that dumps just as much fuel in and Im in the same boat.  I saw the comment about the CFM and I will take that into consideration.   :hammer:

95TacoTruck [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 25, 2003, 10:30:25 AM »
Well I found an article written by a carb guy who stated that Webber carbs run richer than the stock carbs even at the lowest setting.  Since I need to get leaner I won't be making a purchase on one of those.   I wonder if I clean out my canisters that it may help a bit.