Author Topic: Short Shifter  (Read 3738 times)

YellowJacket

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -67
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
Short Shifter
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:58:28 PM »
Has anyone tried building their own transmission short shifter?
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductSearch.aspx?Class=1582
LC Engineering has them but not for my application (1987 4Runner R151F). Just seems like it would be fairly easy to make your own.
« Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009, 08:15:46 PM by YellowJacket »

Jordan7118

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,105
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
Re: Short Shifter
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 11:16:16 PM »
Build a hollow base, extend the shifter below the pivot ball, and I think you'd be good!

94MtnYote

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Member since Oct '07
  • - 94 std cab-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 12:51:18 AM »
 My truck has one it's called a 3'' BL !!!    :gap:  :hammerhead:
22RE .30 over, mild cam, K&N, LCE header, 2.25'' pipe, high flow cat, Magnaflow.
 Marlin 1200LB clutch

no substitute for 4wheel drive.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »
I did one and I believe its still out there somewhere.  I hollowed out a block of 1" aluminum, with 4 bolt holes (same size and pattern as the shifter).   I extended the ball by using a 1 inch long round piece of steel.  I  beveled the edges to get a full pen weld  (note: I pre heated the steel and let it cool real slow, cause its hard.).  I then shaped, the steel back to cone shape without harming the ball.

All in all, it wasn't worth it.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:49:10 PM »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2009, 10:43:16 PM »
I did one and I believe its still out there somewhere.  I hollowed out a block of 1" aluminum, with 4 bolt holes (same size and pattern as the shifter).   I extended the ball by using a 1 inch long round piece of steel.  I  beveled the edges to get a full pen weld  (note: I pre heated the steel and let it cool real slow, cause its hard.).  I then shaped, the steel back to cone shape without harming the ball.

All in all, it wasn't worth it.

My buddy was saying something similar. The part about having two separate pieces, heating one piece and allowing them to cool together which would be very strong, I guess. How many hours did it take you to complete yours?

I wish I could to a t-case short shifter also, but due to time and money I am going to start on the one that I need the most for my application.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2009, 05:54:39 AM »
I milled the spacer on a Bridgeport, so it took no time at all.  I welded it with stainless filler, on a Tig machine.  It took about 2 hours including cooling time.

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:45:22 AM »
Sounds like you got skills! If it only took 2 hrs, I don't see why it wasn't worth it? It doesn't change the height or location of the shifter right? (I have already spent hours modifying my shifters to fit through the boot due to the 7M-GTE motor and the R151F tranny) If someone asked you to build one, how much would you charge?

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:54:09 AM »
I have one in my 82, L52 HD  :driving:  Feels strange when I drive my 90 runner without
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:00:26 AM »
I have one in my 82, L52 HD  :driving:  Feels strange when I drive my 90 runner without
You have a tranny short shifter? where did you get it?

jonathan82toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 502
  • Member since Mar '07
  • 1St Gens Rule!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:48:34 AM »
  :turtle:  Only the BEST!  :thumbs:
What Is The Truth Behind The Magic Turtle Breeding Program?

S.S. More Powerful Than Superman, Batman, Spiderman And The Incredible Hulk Put Together.

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2009, 04:59:56 PM »
Sounds like you got skills! If it only took 2 hrs, I don't see why it wasn't worth it? It doesn't change the height or location of the shifter right? (I have already spent hours modifying my shifters to fit through the boot due to the 7M-GTE motor and the R151F tranny) If someone asked you to build one, how much would you charge?

Funny I had my shortie when I had my 5MGE in my runner.  Don't get me wrong but I would have gone 1.5 inches, the 1" was not short enough.  As far as me building one, sure ! but I only do manual machine work, so if you want bling, just buy a production , CNC version.   Cause manual bling wil cost you.  If its custom, then give me a print, and I'll make it.  Weld the shifter yourself, too much liability.  I am pretty reasonable cause I am financing my projects.

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:03:49 PM »
Funny I had my shortie when I had my 5MGE in my runner.  Don't get me wrong but I would have gone 1.5 inches, the 1" was not short enough.  As far as me building one, sure ! but I only do manual machine work, so if you want bling, just buy a production , CNC version.   Cause manual bling wil cost you.  If its custom, then give me a print, and I'll make it.  Weld the shifter yourself, too much liability.  I am pretty reasonable cause I am financing my projects.
That's funny. I was going to mention we had some things in common regarding our rigs BEFORE you said you use to have a 5M.  :) I don't care about bling. You should see my shifters now. I have already had to do some cutting and welding on them and they are not pretty. How thick did you need to go on the base plate? Where can you buy these? How much for your work?

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #13 on: Feb 06, 2009, 06:43:22 AM »
I went 1 inch on the base.  You extend the shifter ball the same distance.  I'll look around and see if I have enough aluminum to mill a base for you.  Its gonna cost $50000.00 dollars, JK.

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 07, 2009, 08:20:17 AM »
I went 1 inch on the base.  You extend the shifter ball the same distance.  I'll look around and see if I have enough aluminum to mill a base for you.  Its gonna cost $50000.00 dollars, JK.
:yikes: LOL! I should probably try building it myself since I am sure it's going to cost me a good amount anyway. Things are tight right now. My wife would kill me if she even knew I was talking about spending money on my rig.

So as long as the base is the same length as the ball extension, your good? What happens when you make them .5" or 1.5"? Just changes the throw? Like a 1.5" extension would be even less throw? I did want to verify that doing this doesn't change the location of the end result right? Like the top of the shifter? Did you mention why you didn't like yours or why you are no longer running it? Sorry your the 20. :bowdown:

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 07, 2009, 10:44:23 PM »
I have the w56 forward shift tranny/t-case with both shifters in one base plate. I looked around for any manufactured ones, and could not find anything for my application, so I made my own, and did a write-up on it.

http://www.fattshack.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1270

It was my first attempt to do something like this, but turned out really good, and I love the tighter feel of the shifting motions. I used a 1.5" spacer, and extended the shifters (both) the same amount. It will raise the shifter up the same amount, and since I am running a BL, I do not know whether or not there would be clearance issues without one.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2009, 06:58:23 AM »
I couldn't find any aluminum laying around.  Sorry!

:yikes: LOL! I should probably try building it myself since I am sure it's going to cost me a good amount anyway. Things are tight right now. My wife would kill me if she even knew I was talking about spending money on my rig.

So as long as the base is the same length as the ball extension, your good? What happens when you make them .5" or 1.5"? Just changes the throw? Like a 1.5" extension would be even less throw? I did want to verify that doing this doesn't change the location of the end result right? Like the top of the shifter? Did you mention why you didn't like yours or why you are no longer running it? Sorry your the 20. :bowdown:

Yes, extend the ball, the same thickness as your base.  I don't run it anymore, cause I have a 700R4 tranny  :cool:  Good luck

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
Yes, extend the ball, the same thickness as your base.  I don't run it anymore, cause I have a 700R4 tranny  :cool:  Good luck
I should have realized you weren't running the same setup now. :smack:
Well, thanks for all the excellent info!

YellowJacket [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2009, 02:10:52 PM »
I have the w56 forward shift tranny/t-case with both shifters in one base plate. I looked around for any manufactured ones, and could not find anything for my application, so I made my own, and did a write-up on it.

http://www.fattshack.com/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1270

It was my first attempt to do something like this, but turned out really good, and I love the tighter feel of the shifting motions. I used a 1.5" spacer, and extended the shifters (both) the same amount. It will raise the shifter up the same amount, and since I am running a BL, I do not know whether or not there would be clearance issues without one.
Thanks for posting! That is a good and valuable thread. Sounds like 1.5" is the way to go. And yet one more reason I like body lifts. I have a 2" so we should be good there.