Author Topic: Header wrap  (Read 4108 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Header wrap
« on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:04:15 PM »
I want to wrap my header to keep sound and temps down. I know nothing of the brands or what to look for. Is there anything I should look for? Are there any major cons to this?  :help:

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Header wrap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:06:33 PM »
Mud/water/snow etc. + header wrap do not mix. Traps moisture and stuff, not good. I would not wrap a header(s) on a truck used offroad or in a wet climate. :twocents:

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:19:17 PM »
at my old job we wrapped the entire exhaust on the aircraft, as long as you use header wrap then cover it with a alum. wrap you should be good.  Be warned its a lot of work and a major PITA

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:35:45 PM »
Damn man, is nothing easy? I would really like to quiet my engine bay noise. Is there anything I could do? Where can I find that Al wrap?

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:26:01 PM »
Anyone wrapped their header(s)?

Tool Pimp

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,399
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
I would really like to quiet my engine bay noise. Is there anything I could do?

:biggthumpup: http://www.dynamat.com/

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »
Have it ceramic coated, that will be much cooler than header wrap.

As for the noise, insulate your cab better.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:34:25 PM »
I got a giant roll of header wrap off ebay for less than what half that length would have cost me locally.  I wanted to wrap the header on my truck to reduce the temp and obtain better fuel efficiency, but I mostly got it to wrap the header on my motorbike since my legs burn in the summer... that header gets to like 474 degrees when the bike is fully warmed up  :yikes:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

toolman

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:51:30 AM »
the wrap will help somewhat with the heat but not designed to reduce noise that much. It is designed to keep heat in the header to improve scavenging, ceramic header is the way to go really. The wrap is a pain to install and prob wont last that long if offroading. just my .2
'82 yota work in progress
33x12.50's
Fuel Injection
4" lift
flat bed
x-over steering
full float rear
L52HD
LC engineering pro

DAWGTOY

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 460
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Jul '04
  • aint too old & broke up to sit down yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2009, 07:12:24 AM »
i agree that the ceramic is the way to go. i wraped my header before my engine install last year.
it wasn't long till i wished i had not. the mud sticks like glue and when you try to wash it off it
messes up the wrap. and if you happen to run thru a brier bush it gets stuck in the fabric and pulls it loose.
 a wrap does help with under hood heat tho and on a mall crawler i guess it would be cool to have. but if you use your truck anything like i do you will be happer going ceramic.
1983 TOY SHORT PICKUP .35/12.50S EXO CAGE HOMEMADE BED CAMO PAINT, REARS UP FRONT CHEVYS IN THE REAR, 4 WHEEL DISK, CABLE LOCKER REAR, LOCK RITE FRONT, 5.29GEARS FRONT & REAR.BOBBY LONG 30 SPLINES 9500 lb WARN WINCH. DUAL
T CASES WITH 4.7 IN THE REAR. THANKS MARLIN

yota pu/runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 208
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2009, 03:09:26 PM »
I also thought about wrapping my header but after watching my brother do it to his truck i said forget that i will live witht the heat and sound.  And beside i'm sure my neighbors love the fact that i warm my truck up every morning around 6:00.

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
haha, so wrap is a PITA. Guess I should ask where to find clean newer floor material for an 85 Xcab... anyone?

82 HiLux

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 81
  • Male Posts: 750
  • Member since Dec '06
  • its beer thirty!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »
i wrapped my long tube header with the cheapest header wrap i could find on www.summitracing.com. it made a huge difference as far as noise and heat. my header burned the paint off my master cylinder and brake booster, totally cooked my winshield sprayer rubber watter lines, burnt wires, etc etc....but then i wrapped it and now i could have wires laying on it and they would be fine. yeah, its a PITA to install, because you have to measure out the strips and then wrap them tightly around each tube. you have to get the header wrap soaking wet first so its stretchier and then the fiberglass doesnt get all in your lungs. my wrap is exposed to mud and water on a regular basis, and the only thing that happened is it got a little bit cripsy.  so if i were to try and unwrap it it wouldnt come off in one piece, but im not going to remove it anyways. i personally reccomend it if you are on a budget. ceramic coated headers are nice, but they cost so much more. header wrap is cheap! just dont drive over bushes and it will stay put. if you install it incorrectly it will fall off.  :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

oh and it made a big difference in the way the header sounds in the cab.
82 hilux, bobbed, really fast 22r, 2 transfer cases, ARB's, 5.29's, 37" MTR's. Custom everything.

dirtchicken

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -44
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2009, 12:05:09 AM »
I wouldn't wrap the header if I were you. The wraps have been known to crack headers from keeping too much heat in.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2009, 04:31:06 AM »
x2 what dirtchicken said
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:48:10 AM »
Damn man, is nothing easy? I would really like to quiet my engine bay noise. Is there anything I could do? Where can I find that Al wrap?
Turn up the radio  :rockingout:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 15, 2009, 09:49:42 AM »
i wrapped my header and my entire exhaust 2 years ago.  it is still in place hasn't fallen off.  i drive it on the mud and the rocks.  keeps my floorboards way cooler then they were before.  i don't find anything wrong with it and i will wrap my next exhaust when i redo it this summer

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »
I wouldn't wrap the header if I were you. The wraps have been known to crack headers from keeping too much heat in.
I've heard this before, they compared it to Nascar. But I don't see the problem, headers will heat and cool more slowly if wrapped. Is is not the heating and cooling that would crack the metal?  :dunno:
Turn up the radio  :rockingout:
Already done, now the speakers crackle. I can't win!  :willynilly:
i wrapped my header and my entire exhaust 2 years ago.  it is still in place hasn't fallen off.  i drive it on the mud and the rocks.  keeps my floorboards way cooler then they were before.  i don't find anything wrong with it and i will wrap my next exhaust when i redo it this summer
A few ppl have said the same deal.