Author Topic: 462 Mini Crawler Builds (AX10, SCX10, LMRC, Wraith)  (Read 72568 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Re: 46&2's Axial AX-10 Mini Crawler build
« Reply #90 on: Jan 17, 2011, 05:12:14 PM »
Really good actually. Better than I thought it would. I rolled it about 5 or 6 rolls with a final 3 foot vertical drop right onto the top corner of the cage and it didn't break. My rig is pretty heavy too so I'd say its a solid body. Its heavier than I'd like it to be, but the weight in the wheels keep it planted.

I was also looking at this, it has been sold out for a long time but it seems like a pretty sweet chassis.

http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/intc23041.htm
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:02:29 PM »
Your rig looks bad ass dude  :thumbs: 
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Jan 19, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »
What would you consider your crawler ? .I think it's a cross between a comp rig and a scaler . That's how mine is . I consider ours semi scalers . Just wondering what you thought  :thumbs: 

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:24:15 PM »
Your rig looks bad ass dude  :thumbs:  

Thanks buddy, appreciate it!!

What would you consider your crawler ? .I think it's a cross between a comp rig and a scaler . That's how mine is . I consider ours semi scalers . Just wondering what you thought  :thumbs:  

I guess I'd consider it my attempt at capable/scale. My goal was always to be as capable as possible, and only until recently did I start moving towards scale. I don't compete, and probably never will, so the best medium between scale and crawler is what I aim for.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:15:02 PM »
Bad ass  :cool: . That's the exact same with me , just asking because I've had a couple people ask me about mine and my answer was pretty much the same as yours . My plan was for it to be as capable as possible but look as realistic as possible too . . . WithOUT running leafs and 1.9s  :talkingn:   

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Jan 19, 2011, 11:36:34 PM »
Bad ass  :cool: . That's the exact same with me , just asking because I've had a couple people ask me about mine and my answer was pretty much the same as yours . My plan was for it to be as capable as possible but look as realistic as possible too . . . WithOUT running leafs and 1.9s  :talkingn:  

Yeah, from what I have heard, competing is hard these days, and most people that do it are lame.

I just like making my rig as capable as possible, and if I can make it look semi-realistic at the same time, hell yeah. I will never prescribe to the "rules" of scale, but if my rig can wheel like a champ and look semi-realistic doing it, I will be happy.  Just like my 4runner, I'm here to have fun. My next upgrade is the SXs, and IMO, one of the sweetest pics on this site is of the Macho Taco and your Axial. That is exactly what I am going for, a smaller scale rig that looks similar to my 1:1 wheeler.
« Last Edit: Jul 08, 2011, 06:01:59 PM by 46&2 »

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Jan 23, 2011, 01:43:02 AM »
Bad ass bro , thanks  :thumbs: . . . I fully agree with everything you just said . Most of those guys are douches .

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

crawlerbubba

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -25
  • Male Posts: 676
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #97 on: Jan 24, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
hey i got that integy chasis,works great!perfect happy medium between scale and comp...imo.looks badass,and a r2 fits in nicely.and the swamper sx's work great.i love em,and will not run a rover again.im in the same boat on my scaler/racer.its stuck in the middle....but the middle is a good place to be!great build!
GOT ROCKS?

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Jan 24, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »
hey i got that integy chasis,works great!perfect happy medium between scale and comp...imo.looks badass,and a r2 fits in nicely.and the swamper sx's work great.i love em,and will not run a rover again.im in the same boat on my scaler/racer.its stuck in the middle....but the middle is a good place to be!great build!

Thanks man. I will definitely get a set of the SXs.

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
and the swamper sx's work great.i love em,and will not run a rover again.im in the same boat on my scaler/racer.its stuck in the middle....but the middle is a good place to be!great build!

I agree with both of these comments

www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: Jan 30, 2011, 11:47:49 PM »
Went wheeling with my cousin earlier while he was in the area. He shot several videos, this is the only one I have so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu6-UcjWpTM

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
SCX10 Honcho arrives
« Reply #101 on: Feb 04, 2011, 07:24:15 PM »
My late Bday present from my gf finally arrived..  :biggthumpup:  :love:

Honcho kit definitely kicks ass for the price. I never even realized it comes with prewired bumper lights and tail lights. Pretty cool. Flat Irons and the foam they come with also seem to be a very nice combo, I don't think I will need to modify them at all except for add some weight. It will definitely take some getting used to though going from my AX10 buggy to this.... definitely very realistic handling in terms of how it handles though. The AE2 ESC with drag brake is awesome.... over all the electronics as a whole in this kit feel far superior to the stock AX10 RTR electronics. I think I am going to keep the 27T motor and 20/87 pinion combo for now, with the quality electronics and remote I can actually crawl very precisly despite the fast motor. Plus after having this  :turtle3: slow Buggy for so long, its pretty fun being able to do donuts and jump it. I think I will be able to make this truck a good medium between rock crawler and all around wheeler. The buggy will always be a purpose built crawler, but I want to try some versatility with this build.

After smashing it for a while its already under the knife though.  :gap: Pics:

Thats about all the flex it has stock. Suspension works awesome, not stiff, not too soft, but limited. We'll see what we can do about that....

I couldn't resist the urge to bolt up the 2.2 Rovers just to see what it would look like. I see 2.2s in the near future, though it will take some work to be worth it.

:haha:

The ol AX10 looks pretty beat looking at these pictures next to the spotless Honcho. I have a unpainted cab for the Honcho, haven't decided on a paint theme yet. My gf suggested I do my 4runner's paint job so its kind of a mini scale of my 1:1. Might do that, might not. Definitely want to use OG 80s SR5 graphics of some kind though whatever I do. Probably no camo since my buggy is desert tan.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
First round of upgrades is done. All aluminum upper/lower links and steering tie rods. MIP shafts installed as well. I didn't like the way my pinion angles turned out with the Axial spec upper links, so I lengthened the uppers in the rear. Haven't gotten to the front yet because It looks like I am going to have to move my front frame crossmember in order for the steering to clearance. I moved the shocks around a little and removed the spacers so they have a full range of travel now. The 4 link + the slightly tuned shocks definitely helped in the flex department. I am getting another pair of stock AX10 shocks so I am going to toss those on and try some other spring combos to see what I like best.

Rear pinion angle vs front

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
that thing is sick. when i was buying my rc it took awhile to decided between the ax10 and trail honcho.
81 swb 22re 35's

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
that thing is sick. when i was buying my rc it took awhile to decided between the ax10 and trail honcho.

Thanks man. Yeah, now that I have a built AX10 I really didn't want to do another one of those so I decided to try the scaler route. Definitely very happy with the Honcho kit out of the box. Way better than the AX10 Scorpion RTR kit I bought for the same price over 3 years ago.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Updated shots after adding the Taco grill. Im not going to be using the chrome grill for my uncut/painted body so I figured I put it on here until I get that done.

Also added a fire extinguisher just in case.  :gap:

« Last Edit: Feb 25, 2011, 09:14:45 PM by 46&2 »

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Couple small updates. While back I bought some random parts off the RC Crawler classifieds, too good of a deal to pass up. Paid less than I would have for just 4 wheels new. Guy threw in a free axial chasis, skidplate, and 2 tranny outputs. Got 4 more AX10 shocks, a an Axial tranny with DNA dig and servo and 4 Cougar Panthers with Axial beadlock wheels. Dig is going to eventually go into the AX10 which is finally retiring one of its Integy HD driveshafts. The set screw one one end is so packed with rock and rust I cannot tighten it. On the other end of the same shaft, the set screw and shaft are rusted onto the axle output. Haven't been able to get the other end off yet.  :smack:

The stock suspension on the Honcho is good, however its a bit springy and really not as flexy as I would like. It handles great at speeds with little body roll but on the rocks it just wasn't cutting it for me. Since I had aquired 4 AX10 shocks I figured why not fab up some new shock mounts and run those and see if I can't get more travel. They are signifigantly longer and larger than the Honcho shocks so it took a bit of work to get them dialed in to where I didn't have too much flex but I also did not want to sacrifice too much high speed handling either. I think I found a good medium. I raised the mounts higher and also outboarded the shocks at the axle end. I gained over 1.5" travel F&R.

Shock comparison (AX10 on the left, Honcho right):

New mounts rear:

Front:

I had to remove the front crossmember frame support because aftering rotating my pinion angle up, the servo was hitting the crossmember and seriously limiting my flex. It helped hold up the front end of the battery holder and so the front shock mount I made also doubles as a support for the front of the battery holder. Since I moved the rear shock mount forward on the frame, I reused the same body mount holes in the new location for the rear and drilled new ones in the front. It lined my body up nice and tight with the front bumper. The gap between the grill and bumper always bugged me anway, now it is flush and looks more realistic IMO.

Painted the panels for the tube bed. Slowly dechromifying this thing. Rims are next. I want to get some use out of the Flat Irons because they are actually a great tire. But it needs bigger rubber, especially now with the cut fenders. Also trimmed the bumper down and painted my hubs and  as well :P

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Also curious to hear what you guys think. I swapped my 2.2 Rovers on today to see what I would actually need to do to run them effectively. Not much actually. Move the bumper forward, stretch the wheelbase by .5"-1" and cut some more fender. In the rear I would need to remove a small portion of the tube.

What do you guys think? Stick with 1.9s and just get larger 1.9 tires? Or move towards 2.2?

:think:

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
2.2s get scale tires tho like the sx or flat irons

Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

sirhc0306

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Apr '09
  • beer is good
    • View Profile
Nice rigs. The 1.9 look good but the 2.2s fill more. I would go wit the 2.2's its just my  :twocents:
92 SAS truggy, Dana 44 Detroit 5.38's, 3 link with 14in Kings, Rear 9in Spool 5.42's, 3 link with 14in Kings, 22RE, SM465, 23 spline 2.28 and 4.70. 39.5 Iroks on OMF beadlocks. Warn 9000

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
2.2s get scale tires tho like the sx or flat irons

Either way, 1.9 or 2.2 I am going to be running the TSL Super Swampers.

Nice rigs. The 1.9 look good but the 2.2s fill more. I would go wit the 2.2's its just my  :twocents:

Thanks. I'm leaning towards 2.2s but its a ways in the future just gonna wheel it with 1.9s for now. Most likely gonna do 2.2s eventually though.

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
i love the 2.2s the bigger the better, and they actually hook up and have savage traction if u get the right tires for what ur wheelin on...
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
i love the 2.2s the bigger the better, and they actually hook up and have savage traction if u get the right tires for what ur wheelin on...

Well it was a tough decision but I like how much more steering and speed I get running the 1.9s, so I am going to stick with those for now. I picked up some 1.9 Iroks today. It was a tough decision between the Iroks, the Rock Lox, and the Swampers, but I went with the Iroks. The Iroks and Rock Lox are Iroks also but they are narrower and taller, where as the Iroks are a bit shorter and wider. I opted for wider. Little sneak peek:

rockin86runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 871
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
jelious let me know how you like them i was thinkin the same thing going with Iroks cuz they are narrower    :biggthumpup:
85 toy runner tons 4link front and rear ORIs 42 pitbulls

86 runner some other things  pained orange STOLEN REWARD IF FOUND

70 cj-5 renegade1 buick 231 v-6 t-18 dana20 dana 30,44 32in BFG at 

:usa: USN SEABEE EO2 SCW .....We Build.We Fight.We Defend....Hoo-Rah  GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS :usa:

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
jelious let me know how you like them i was thinkin the same thing going with Iroks cuz they are narrower    :biggthumpup:

Yeah, the compound is a bit stiff out of the box for both the Iroks and the Rock Lox, but everyone I have talked to said it only takes a few runs before they break in and get super soft. They seem really sticky though and I prefer wide over tall. Trying to decide if I want to run the slightly larger Irok foams, or the slightly smaller Flat Iron foam which is also much softer.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
New tires installed, painted my rims also. Need to trim a bit more out of the fenders. The 1.9 Iroks are almost as big as 2.2 Rock Lizards. I think I want to widen the axles a little and maybe push the front axle forward a little bit, half inch or so. After I get it out and test out the new tires I will decide if that is needed or not.

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
i like that. man what difference some tires make
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
i like that. man what difference some tires make

Yeah. I liked the flat irons, but they are small, and right out of the box before even breaking these in, I can feel a world of difference with the Iroks. Can't wait for them to break fully in. Tested it out tonight, ran full Irok foams, added some weight to the front and rear (I think 3 oz front 2 oz rear per tire).

Did good. Need to tweak a few things but otherwise does very well. My long travel suspension is working great. Love the new tires.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Spent the last week at Bodega Bay, CA for vacation. Did a ton of wheeling at the beach, probably my favorite place to wheel. Obstacles everywhere and tons of sweet rock formations.

Both the AX10 and the Honcho did awesome. As usual the AX10 is unstoppable and goes up pretty much everything I point it at. No breakage the whole trip despite running a stock driveshaft in the rear after one of my Integy shafts stripped out and I was unable to remove one of the set screws. Eventually I will get a set of MIPs for it.

Honcho also did fantastic. Long travel suspension works very well. Unfortunately the one potential weak link I saw with it was from taking a hard roll onto a single corner in the rear. Sure enough after tumbling six or seven times down a long steep hill, it landed with all the force on the rear driver's tire and broke the upper shock mount. I had built the longer upper shock mounts with emergency secondary mounting holes a bit lower in case this happened so I could trail fix it, and thats what I did. However I am going to look through the toolbox and see if I can't fab up some more mounts in a similar fashion until I can make a stronger set up or buy some aftermarket shock hoops.

I was impressed with how many rolls it took before these mounts broke though. Iroks are breaking in nicely, every time I go out they feel softer and grip better. Anyway, here is a shot of the breakage and then two videos from the trip. I have several more but my girlfriend was drunk behind the camera controls and well it kinda shows in a few videos....  :talkingn:

Honcho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIOcVJE-SzU

Buggy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjavMTAii8