Author Topic: HELP!!! 1980 20r 2 new voltage regulators and 2 new alternators  (Read 2769 times)

crackdaddy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
HELP!!! 1980 20r 2 new voltage regulators and 2 new alternators and its still over charging 18 volts  :dunno:      what next

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
HELP!!! 1980 20r 2 new voltage regulators and 2 new alternators and its still over charging 18 volts  :dunno:      what next
replaced both at the same time??

does the new voltage reg have the clear plastic cover over the harness plug ??  if not its for a 2wd
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crackdaddy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
no its green . all i know its a 5 pin plug

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
ok, the PLUG itself is green but the 4wd version has a clear soft plastic (condom type thing) over the plug

probably doesnt matter but its NOT working right so :dunno:

where did you get these alts, and regulators??   autozone??  :ack:  they are notorious for selling bad alternators that have just been cleaned up

but if it IS charging 18 volts, perhaps the battery is  really dead ?
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crackdaddy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
tryed a diff battery and the same thing 18 volts . and no not from autozone . the first alt i got was not charging at all now the new one is over charging thats y i thought it was the regulator????

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
would a voltage regulator that's going bad cause the motor to die when you pull a cable off the battery? and also make the truck miss while it's running? it has a new alternator from napa and a rewired alternator harness. battery is always fully charged.

i thought it was my carburetor so i swapped carburetors and it still runs like it needs to be tuned really bad. than someone mentioned voltage regulator. help PLEASE
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
would a voltage regulator that's going bad cause the motor to die when you pull a cable off the battery? and also make the truck miss while it's running? it has a new alternator from napa and a rewired alternator harness. battery is always fully charged.

i thought it was my carburetor so i swapped carburetors and it still runs like it needs to be tuned really bad. than someone mentioned voltage regulator. help PLEASE
as i told the OP 2 years ago,
Always replace both the regulator and alt at the same time

and to the question of "will pulling the batt cable off make it die if its not working??"
  YES

yoter4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Member since Dec '08
  • Team Bungie!
    • View Profile
a buddy that works at the import junkyard in town gave me a free regulator today. the truck runs perfect again with the new regulator. damn oval plugs on them cost almost $100!!!!!!!!!!
Bullets don't know the difference between race, sex, or gender.. They Just Feed On Flesh!