Author Topic: I'm freakin pissed!!!  (Read 2242 times)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I'm freakin pissed!!!
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 08:59:38 AM »
Well, I put in to have Christmas Day off at work, back when they put up the vacation calendar on Jan 1st 2008.  Well, the supervisor that is in charge of making out the schedules, was doing December's schedule and I got to peek at it.   :mad:  Well, just happens that only two guys are getting those days off as vacation days, only because they take the whole week off, they've done this every year for the last 25 years, and nobody else gets it off!  Plus, there is so many guys, that their weekends just happen to fall on Christmas Eve/Day, that we are actually short handed on top of it!  So, the supervisor who does the scheduling, came up to me and told me that I might have to work an extra half of a shift, on top of my 8 hours, because he decided that he was going to take off Christmas Day. (I start at 7:10 AM) So, I'm just pissed off!  My wife if furious!  And she wants to call him up and make him tell our kids why daddy won't be home for all of Christmas Day!!   :tantrum:

This is the only time that I really hate my job!  The only holiday I really, truly care about is Christmas.  It wasn't bad when I worked swing shift, I had most of the morning (had to be at work at 3:30 PM) to run around and spend time with the family, and then head to work.  But I guess this is what I get working in the dairy industry.   :dunno:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: I'm freakin pissed!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:01:53 AM »
Wow that sucks!!! So what happens if you happen to get sick on Christmas morning??  :sick:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:27:02 AM »
I would loose the double time and a half from working Xmas Eve, and only get a straight 8.  Just for working a holiday, I would get $340 before taxes.  Yeah, all that extra $ would be awesome.  But I was really looking forward to spending Xmas Day with my family, since I've got 3 houses we go to on that day.  I was OK with working 8 hours Xmas Day, but since they want me to work 12 hours on Xmas day, that's what's really pissing me off!  

That and they know that I don't call in sick, period.  The only time I called in was when my wife went into labor, and when the doctor told me I couldn't go to work for strep throat.  So, in 7 years, I've called in 2 times!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2008, 09:27:59 AM »
All employers are required to allow a certain amount of "personal days" off per year.  They don't have to pay your for them but they can't fire you for taking them.  Usually its 2 or 3 per year.   see if you have a company or employee policy manual and it should cover this.  
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:32:54 AM »
I can actually get in trouble if I call in.  It's in our union contract.  They had so many people get pissed because they weren't given a requested day off, and end up calling in.  So, now we can get a 2 day suspension for doing so. 

We have personal days, but not when you already have tried to get the day off!

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2008, 10:46:37 AM »
That's crap.... unfortunately, that's politics/chain of command BS :pokinit:

I'm sorry you don't get Christmas off :therethere: That royally sucks.  So why is your company even open on Christmas?? :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2008, 11:49:05 AM »
sucks you dont get xmas off but it will all be double time correct? and you're union? and cant get whatever you want off wow. I love being able to tell my foreman or super that I want a week off (last time I told them 2 days prior) they dont care as long as I dont goto work elsewhere  :talkingn: couple years ago I worked 2 doubles back to back (4-12 hr shifts) on an emergency job, all double time, hour lunch off each shift paid, at full scale. made enough in 2 days took the reast of the week off to go wheelin! glad I dont make cheese  :greengrin:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
So why is your company even open on Christmas?? :headscratch:
  But I guess this is what I get working in the dairy industry.   :dunno:

Cows don't take holidays :gap:

:therethere:  sorry bud, that sucks.  I'd imagine you can poke into your policies and procedures a bit though, it sounds like your supe is abusing his authority by deciding to take the day off and make you work extra.  Seems like a bit of conflict of interest, especially since he apparently(?) didn't put in for the holiday time back in January? 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2008, 01:59:14 PM »
My supervisor is non-union!  I'm union.  If it weren't for the union, I'd probably be making less and working some crappy shift.  I love and hate the union.  I'd like to find a job that is mon-fri, and is as easy as I got it running the vats.  But there really isn't that many good jobs around here.  If I didn't have kids, I'd look into a trade school program, but that's kinda hard, when 80% of our income comes from my job. 

I just found out that the vat operators at the Del Mar plant just north of Fresno, is making at least $25 an hour for what I'm doing.  But there is no way I'd leave this area.  It's just beautiful here.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2008, 07:30:13 PM »
Yeah been there done that union crap, sometimes it's great and sometimes it sucks. FYI here's what I used to do when I really, really, really wanted a day off. To avoid the chance that I would not get that day off I wouldn't try to get it the honest way (the honest way only gets you screwed) I'd just call in sick that day. I'd still get paid since I hadn't tried to get that day on a floater and nobody was the wiser. Of course holidays were out of the question, they had a rule about holiday's, if you called in you don't get paid period. This included the day before and after the holiday.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:28:35 AM »
i would go into work, work my 8 hours,  then "get sick"  if you puke (or appear to be about to) in the cheese vat,  i bet they let you go home
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
How about we all stop eating cheese between now and then and try to reduce the demand.  This would reduce the needed supply, thus less production, so he can have the day off.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

GJToyotabug

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 969
  • Member since Jan '08
  • The bug is deep in this one
    • View Profile
    • Alcan Spring
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2008, 02:20:26 PM »
id have your wife call in and yell at him women can be very provocative and make your boss afraid of her   

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:09:59 PM »
Or you could forever get :pokinit: for having your wife call in and pregnant dog for you!  That's probably a step below having your mommy call work and chew on the boss for you  :haha:

Sucky cheesy  :therethere:  I'll show them, I won't buy their sliced cheddar for my sammiches this week.  Sure, they'll suck a little with the kraft, but that'll show your bosses!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:11:52 PM »
Well, I can't really pregnant dog too much.  Just talked to my sister and the brother in law has been off for 3 weeks.  Mandatory mill shutdown due to economic reasons.  He is working this week, and will be shut down for the next 3 weeks, if not, for the rest of the year.  And my sis who works for the local trucking company, might be getting her hours cut back, because of no lumber going out of her husbands mill and the other big mill in town.  That is closed till the 1st of the year!  :yikes:

So, I'm gonna quit bitchin!