Author Topic: Clutch shifter fork clips  (Read 3043 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Clutch shifter fork clips
« on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:23:13 AM »
I got my engine & transmission in over the weekend. What's really scaring me is that probably four times while we were trying to get the tranny lined up, somebody would bump the shift fork or bump the transmission hard against something and a clip would pop off the throwout bearing hub. That just doesn't seem right, does it? Here are some photos of how it's installed...as far as I know it's right. I really really don't want to take it off and go through that again, but...

Zach
I like Yotatech

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch shifter fork clips
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:33:57 AM »
it's installed right...... quit bumping the fork ;)

the clip i used, was one big huge piece...... i got it from the dealer, i guess the older style clips aren't available anymore.... its an upgraded design that is seriously like 4" of hard bent wire

the one i got from toyota, brand new, all 1 piece:

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2008, 09:45:25 AM »
That does look way better..Ok, I was starting to think that maybe I should have pushed the hub farther onto the fork, like getting it sitting in that depression, rather than on the lobes, but it's in the right spot, eh? I was starting to brainstorm ideas on how I could get it seated right through the shifter boot hole rather than taking it all apart again.. :think:
So really, it's right? Just gotta quit bumping it? I've never swore so much while working on my truck as I was when there were two of us wrestling that transmission trying to get it into place and I'd hear a "ping!" and there went a clip again. "Ok everybody, hold on a second again while I reattach this...I don't care if it weighs almost 200lbs, just hold it a sec".. :greengrin:

Those b*stds (actually they're cool guys that've been really nice to me) at Toyota didn't tell me anything about those new clips. The ones in the photo are brand new from Toyota....

And I never realized until just now that there's some editing software here that automatically de-vulgarized my use of b*std. Does it work on b*stdization?

Yup, guess so :gap:
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2008, 07:20:07 AM »
Would it make sense to move the shifter fork back & forth by hand, the way the release cylinder would move it, to see if a clip falls off? I'm just to the point where I'd like to know for sure if it's good before I put everything all back together & declare myself "done" and get all excited, then drive 5 miles down the road and hear my release bearing & hub rattling around free on my input shaft...
I've got my engine 90% put back together...want to be sure I can start getting excited that I'll be driving soon.
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 09, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »
Well never mind. I tried to move the fork back & forth over lunch and it won't even move. Probably not right. Then I read something about a clutch fork spring?  :gap:  :hammer:
I don't remember anything about a spring so...........I'd say the transmission is coming back out. Well, hopefully the second time I'll get it right.
Zach
I like Yotatech

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2008, 12:29:06 PM »
that spring is actually on the outside, its huge, and i have only seen it in diagrams, it attached to the little hole on the outermost edge of the fork, right next the the slave rod depression..... neither of my toyotas ever had one.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »
Yeah, thanks for getting back to me. I'm kind of just too close to finally getting my truck back together and I'm going off on stupid tangents thinking one thing or another is messed up. I've just went from being 95% sure that I'll be pulling the tranny again after looking at things on my lunch break, to now (1 hour later) thinking I may be absolutely fine.  :haha:

It's been 4 months since I bought the thing, only drove it for 2 weeks before pulling things apart and I've been super super patient about everything, but now that I'm this close I just can't hardly wait anymore!!! :driving:
Zach
I like Yotatech

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 09, 2008, 01:00:02 PM »
Yeah, thanks for getting back to me. I'm kind of just too close to finally getting my truck back together and I'm going off on stupid tangents thinking one thing or another is messed up. I've just went from being 95% sure that I'll be pulling the tranny again after looking at things on my lunch break, to now (1 hour later) thinking I may be absolutely fine.  :haha:

It's been 4 months since I bought the thing, only drove it for 2 weeks before pulling things apart and I've been super super patient about everything, but now that I'm this close I just can't hardly wait anymore!!! :driving:

i know the feeling..... when you first get it back together you wont be able to move the fork by hand.... it's jsut that stiff, it will actually take he slave hooked up to do it.... i wish you luck....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 09, 2008, 02:04:20 PM »
Thanks! Who knows, I could be driving it this weekend.
Zach
I like Yotatech