Author Topic: Please Please Please look for mortorcycles while driving  (Read 5514 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Anyone who rides on this board, I cannot stress the importance of good and proper gear...without my padded riding jacket, I think I would be fucked up good. 

I guess I'm pretty lucky to have the minimal damage that I do.

:yesnod:  when I went down I was in full leathers, high quality helmet and race boots, and I ONLY walked away with a spiral fractured leg and broken thumb.  My leathers got a little torn up and I popped a couple seams, but my skin wasn't all rashed up, save for a maybe 1/20" hold in my hand where my glove ripped.  Had I not been wearing my arai helmet, meaning had I purchased a lesser helmet, I have no doubt that my head woulda sustained much worse damage when I hit it on the metal relfector post.  I doubt I'd still be here, so I'll gladly take the few lingering issues I've had since!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I agree...but you have to look at the differences in the situations.  Honestly, being hit by another bike like that is way random.  I think that riding on the street carries with it a whole different set of rules, and honestly, even If I had crashed all by my lonesome, the gear would have saved me from a ton of rash.

I'd rather sweat than bleed.

OMG I'm becoming a gear nazi :outtahere:

Yes different situation all together, but I just thought I would share my story... they are both motorcycles of some sort right? :gap:

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

Yes different situation all together, but I just thought I would share my story... they are both motorcycles of some sort right? :gap:
if you mean they have two wheels and an engine, yes. It's the style of riding, the area they are ridden in, the skill it takes to successfully navigate one through/with traffic and the surface you hit when you crash that changes everything.

You should know there is a difference; you ride on the street. 

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
:yesnod:  when I went down I was in full leathers, high quality helmet and race boots, and I ONLY walked away with a spiral fractured leg and broken thumb.  My leathers got a little torn up and I popped a couple seams, but my skin wasn't all rashed up, save for a maybe 1/20" hold in my hand where my glove ripped.  Had I not been wearing my arai helmet, meaning had I purchased a lesser helmet, I have no doubt that my head woulda sustained much worse damage when I hit it on the metal relfector post.  I doubt I'd still be here, so I'll gladly take the few lingering issues I've had since!
:yesnod: it's a risk we all take, and this is not going to stop me from riding. It will however, have an effect on what I pay attention to when I am riding.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
:yesnod: it's a risk we all take, and this is not going to stop me from riding. It will however, have an effect on what I pay attention to when I am riding.

the same can be said for driving.... and that's good... we can all use learning... that's what makes us better.... i can't drive for beans, but each of the accidents i have had and each ticket has made me smarter..... i have 1 reported accident on my record currently in the last 3 years, and no tickets... there was a time when i averaged 1 ticket or accident every 6 months
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Duffil [OP]

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
I have to disagree here to a point. This accident was not caused by me, so I am not changing my riding, per se. I am simply changing my perspective of how visible I am and what I need to do to increase it.  Had I been railing a corner at 90 and blown the double yellow, you would be right.

*** YELLER ***

• BIGMIKE SAID I WAS A CLOWN SO .... GUESS THATS THAT
  • Turtle Points: 314
  • Male Posts: 4,686
  • Member since Oct '05
  • USMC NO BETTER FRIEND NO WORSE ENEMY
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I am simply changing my perspective of how visible I am and what I need to do to increase it. 

Rex when I had my cruiser I thought  evereyone would see ME.... after all Im the size of a VW and I always thought how the "F" are you gonna pull out in front of me Im as big as a car but they just dont pay attention at all so I wore an orange vest at night and just stayed more allert and figured they didnt see me anytime I rode...

THERE TWO TYPES OF MOTORCYCLE RIDERS THOSE WHO HAVE GONE DOWN AND THOSE WHO WILL GO DOWN

be safe and keep the shiney side up

:usa: :beerwhack:
MY ONLY REGRET IS THAT I HAVE NOTHING USEFUL TO OFFER THIS FORUM  :moon:
except BACON

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I stopped in at the local post office one day on the way back from a ride.  I was again in full leathers.  When I walked inside I saw a little old lady coming out, and she said  "well if anybody hits you they're just blind!", and all I could do was chuckle.  Mostly white with a little red and a little less black.  Shoot, I should get a pic of them one of these days anyway.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I guess there was more red and black than I remembered.  I haven't had these out in so long the bag was stuck against the wall  :_oops:
RIP KYOTA

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you arent a real biker until you've dumped it :)
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
THERE TWO TYPES OF MOTORCYCLE RIDERS THOSE WHO HAVE GONE DOWN AND THOSE WHO WILL GO DOWN

be safe and keep the shiney side up

Sadly, quite a few riders don't get this.  We always chuckled when we were on rides and new guys would pull the "I'll never wreck" card. 
RIP KYOTA

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
I wrecked my first time riding on the street :gap: I had a little tw200 and I leaned it over too far and the peg dug into the ground and sent me rolling, lol

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Glad to hear you are OK.   sorry to hear about this.   let me know if you need anything.
I like to Drive!