Author Topic: engine swap now it won't start  (Read 3383 times)

fatkidskickrocks4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 216
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
engine swap now it won't start
« on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:14:44 PM »
so i put an '86 4runner 22re into my '82 pickup... i ran the new wiring harness, plugged a bunch of stuff in , including the relay deal the is on the passenger side of the engine bay lights and horn and all that and they work,  but it wont turn over... i tried hot wiring it by jumping the starter wires and all it did was click... anybody got some suggestions?
If you have to go "balls deep" you aren't doing it righ

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: engine swap now it won't start
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2008, 09:16:51 PM »
did you cross any wires? how is the state of charge on the battery? are you using hte entire harness of the 22re or jsut pieces?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

joey0712

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,459
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2008, 10:08:12 PM »
well if u jump in across the starter polls it has to turn over..... Your battery is dead ray.
91 Toyota High pinions f&r.

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2008, 10:38:50 PM »
it's the entire harness, no wires crossed, battery is sitting on the charger right now.

Rytan

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 25, 2008, 05:23:37 AM »
I just finished rebuilding my 22re last week. Mine too wouldn't even turn over, only clicked. So this leads me to ask you if you had removed the flywheel and the metal cover plate that is mounted to the block? If you did, then you may have the wrong size head on the bolts that hold the plate against the block behind the fly wheel. When the flywheel gets tightened back down, it gets pinned against those bolt heads. That was my problem. As soon as I removed the bolts and put in the narrower headed bolts, the truck started without any problem. Try turning the crank shaft at the front of the motor with a socket. If it won't move, I can almost guarantee this is your problem.

Good luck.

Larry

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2008, 05:34:24 AM »
I had this problem when i dropped a motor in my chevelle if you have a munuel the trans may be bound up pull the motor away rotate the trans to free up and reattach the motor with it in neutral   may the force be with you
it's not me, it's you

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:15:03 PM »
i didn't remove the flywheel, and it was in nuetral when i put the engine to it, and the drive line was out so it could rotate

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:17:49 PM »
hows that battery?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:19:55 PM »
still just sparkin' i'm going to take it in and get it tested. i'm praying that is it.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:29:39 PM »
You can test your battery yourself.  Charge it up, have a friend try starting it while you have a volt meter hooked to the battery.  If the battery is static at over 12 volts (should be lingering in the 13 volt range when pulled off charge) and drops to about 10 or less your battery is bad, but if it stays near 11 or higher it's fine.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ohioyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since May '06
  • GIV-R-HELL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 25, 2008, 09:32:02 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me when i swapped my engine and computer out of my old 4runner to my new one. It turned out my new 4runner didnt have a clutch switch and the old one did. so it wasnt letting it start becuase the ecu thought the clutch wasnt engaged. Just an idea.

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
battery is getting taken into kragen for testing (while i'm in class) and would you happen to know if the '86 had the neuteral start cancel switch thing to override that?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 25, 2008, 10:53:39 PM »
85 and later has that switch..... but if the clutch is being pressed down, it shouldnt matter

~ John F. Kennedy ~

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 25, 2008, 11:55:27 PM »
Did you hook up that little ground wire that goes from the back of the head to the firewall?  I think they still turn over when that's unhooked but I know they won't start.  I've fixed that on a couple of stranded guys trucks who were scatching their head with their hood up on the side of the road.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 26, 2008, 12:07:17 AM »
here is something i jsut thought of......

fordh8r fixed my truck.......

basically, i put a 22r from an 85 into a 22r 84 truck... well the wiring wasnt the same, and something i hooked up, let the starter crank once and awhile, but it never starter... he figured out some wire wasnt connected the way it was supposed to be and gave me a false turning over kinda deal......

i gave him a pair of pliers and a butt crimp connector and its fixed....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 26, 2008, 06:56:22 AM »
85 and later has that switch..... but if the clutch is being pressed down, it shouldnt matter

This is INCORRECT My 85 does not have the switch, it has a factory block off plate in its place.

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 26, 2008, 09:30:29 PM »
well, the switch isn't in my '82 so i need to find it and make the connection. hopefully that's it. but then again it probably isn't. and the wiring harness is all out of the '86 now accept where everything connects to the heater, brake lights, dome lights and stuff that's mounted on the dash. could there still be a problem with the wire connectors? i must have taken the wire from the back of the head off during the move, where did it connect to the head?

Rytan

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 27, 2008, 04:41:33 PM »
I think he means the ground wire that runs from the back of the head to the firewall. But I don't think that is the problem. Most likely the clutch safety switch. The 86 model has both the clutch switch and a safety bypass switch (which is mounted just to the left of the steering column on the dash). The safety bypass switch allows you to start the engine without having to push in the clutch. My guess would be that the clutch safety switch is down by the pedal, but I could be wrong. I'll look at my 86 tonight and report back if it is.
Larry

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:13:49 PM »
got the safety bypass switch in and still not starting. the relay that is just clicking when i give it power... could the relay be bad? or is there something i'm overlooking?(got the ground to the firewall back on) does anybody know how the relay works?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »
got the safety bypass switch in and still not starting. the relay that is just clicking when i give it power... could the relay be bad? or is there something i'm overlooking?(got the ground to the firewall back on) does anybody know how the relay works?

how is your battery? everytime i ask you never answer....... did you hook everything up properly? was the orignal car an automatic? or a manual?

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:17:21 PM »
battery is good, sorry for dodging it. it was a manual, and i'm not sure everythings hooked up right. i'm going to go make sure i didn't screw something up

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:20:20 PM »
have you checked the starter connection? when i swapped my 85 engine into my 84, i hooked up the starter wire to the manifold heater.... it would crank for a couple seconds and then die all out......

fordh8r was able to figure out it was connected wrong, and he spliced a wire and walla!   

i htought i had it plugged in correctly, but i didnt

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:28:45 PM »
everything looks good. did the one that was wrong just plug in?

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:36:02 PM »
i would pull the starter and check the copper contacts inside the solenoid. sometimes after lots of use they get burnt. they have enough power to "throw" the solenoid, but not turn the starter motor.
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2008, 08:38:46 PM »
yup, i had a plug and a wire with no connector near it, so i put a connector and though it was the right one.... i am not quite sure what fordh8r figured out, but he asked me for a pair of wire cutters and a butt connector, and it was fixed.... i think it wasa year swapover thing, that some wires on the engine, werent the same as the wires on the truck..... so i had them connected, but didnt have 1 connected because either the truck or the engien didnt have a matching connector

~ John F. Kennedy ~

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:02:30 PM »
pulled the old starter and put our 4runners in it and same thing, the 4runner starts though. i'm running the same wiring harness though everything should just match up right? i pulled the 82's harness because i didn't want to bother with sorting through the harness to find what i needed.

fatkidskickrocks4x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2008, 09:23:14 PM »
so, i had an idea. i grounded off of the spot where the bolts go to the bell housing that connect the starter. then connected everything, now it actually turns  i just have to put it in the truck now! thanks for the help!! hopefully that was the last problem i have.

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 27, 2008, 11:21:13 PM »
I think he means the ground wire that runs from the back of the head to the firewall. But I don't think that is the problem. Most likely the clutch safety switch. The 86 model has both the clutch switch and a safety bypass switch (which is mounted just to the left of the steering column on the dash). The safety bypass switch allows you to start the engine without having to push in the clutch. My guess would be that the clutch safety switch is down by the pedal, but I could be wrong. I'll look at my 86 tonight and report back if it is.

Yeah, the wire goes from the back of the head to the firewall and you definatley need it or something that accomlishes the same thing... from the block of whatever. I don't know why though.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K