Author Topic: Swapping rear brake backing plates and bearings  (Read 2045 times)

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Swapping rear brake backing plates and bearings
« on: Aug 19, 2008, 07:24:20 PM »
I want to take the wheel bearings and backing plates off of an 85 narrow axle and re-install them on the axleshaft in an IFS rear axle. Is there anyway to re-use the wheel bearings if you use a press and take your time? Also, once the wheel bearing is removed will the backing plate come off the shaft easy? I am in a jam I could use some good advice.

Thanks
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
yes  you can do that  :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

alwayzbroken [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
yes  you can do that  :thumbs:

So the wheel bearing does not get destroyed when it is pressed off? That would be a major relief. Do you have a preffered technique?
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
So the wheel bearing does not get destroyed when it is pressed off? That would be a major relief. Do you have a preffered technique?
Hyd. press with the proper SST.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
SST
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »
if you have an old housing, cut it right next to the diff.  Then weld two pieces of channel or tube to it so you can hang it in the press.  Then bolt in the axle you want to dissassemble and press it apart.  Dont forget to remove the snap ring first.  I have done quite a few this way.  The only thing I have had problems with is A 4 wheel ABS axle, I damaged the tone ring and had to replace it.  I Think it would be wise to replace the bearings while you have it apart though.  They dont las forever, and they are not that expensive.  It could save you from having to do this all agains soon.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I want to take the wheel bearings and backing plates off of an 85 narrow axle and re-install them on the axleshaft in an IFS rear axle. Is there anyway to re-use the wheel bearings if you use a press and take your time? Also, once the wheel bearing is removed will the backing plate come off the shaft easy? I am in a jam I could use some good advice.

Thanks

As Glenny said yes it can be done, butt why? the IFS axle would have better brakes. why not use them??
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
As Glenny said yes it can be done, butt why? the IFS axle would have better brakes. why not use them??

x2 the ifs rear axle has bigger, better brakes
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~