Author Topic: Frame tubes  (Read 2044 times)

Phazertwo

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 812
  • Member since Aug '05
  • So many yoda's, so little time!
    • View Profile
Frame tubes
« on: Aug 12, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »
Is there any reason that I shouldn't mount my frame tubes behind the body mount? I am trying to mount my 51" rear springs, and if I keep my spring hanger where its at (marlin hanger mounted flush) I need my frame tube behind the body mount.

I don see a problem with this as long as the shackle doesn't bind on the frame.

Thoughs, ideas?

PZ
92 xtra cab, with some stuff...

...why buy when you can build?

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
Re: Frame tubes
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:37:41 PM »
Do you have any pics of what you are talking about?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2008, 09:51:55 PM »
Do you have any pics of what you are talking about?

he wants to mount his frame tube behind the body mount instead of the regular location where it is at.....

i dont see why you couldnt mount it there...... just make sure you have proper shackle angle, and take into account settling and weight on the springs.....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2008, 05:27:48 AM »

...... just make sure you have proper shackle angle, and take into account settling and weight on the springs.....

yea thats pretty much the most important thing.....only issues I could see is if the center pin is not far forward enough (axle not forward enough) the tires might hit the firewall or tie rod could hit the oil pan
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:50:08 PM »

he wants to mount his frame tube behind the body mount instead of the regular location where it is at.....

i dont see why you couldnt mount it there...... just make sure you have proper shackle angle, and take into account settling and weight on the springs.....

YES! Thats exactly what I am talking about!

Well, I am going from all-poo springs, that I don't really care for, to my old rears mixed with a trail gear pack that had its main leaf bent.

So I am going from a spring that is 46.5 over all, and 22.125 from front to center pin.

My new springs that I build will be 51" over all, and 21.5 from center pin to front.  So my axle will move forward 5/8", which will be good since my 35's just barley rub  the inner fender towards the fire wall.
« Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008, 09:03:29 PM by Phazertwo »

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
May run into a between the tie-rod and the drag-link problem. You could always tub the rear of the wheelwell for more tire clearence.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2008, 08:58:24 PM »
May run into a between the tie-rod and the drag-link problem. You could always tub the rear of the wheelwell for more tire clearence.

Not worried about the steering box. It will get moved, I have marlins steering box mount in my arsenal of parts!

I can tub the fire wall if need be, but I plan on running 37's, and I hit I barley touch it with 35's. So I will probably need what the springs will give me, and tub it!
PZ

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2008, 11:39:56 PM »
shouldnt be a big deal. ya theoretically if the spring is 3" longer then ya put the tube back 3". something you might want to think about is where the center pin is on the springs you have now and the ones on the 51s. your axle could still get moved back toward the firewall quite some bit. id mock it all up first as best you could before boring a hole through your frame.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2008, 03:50:05 PM »
shouldnt be a big deal. ya theoretically if the spring is 3" longer then ya put the tube back 3". something you might want to think about is where the center pin is on the springs you have now and the ones on the 51s. your axle could still get moved back toward the firewall quite some bit. id mock it all up first as best you could before boring a hole through your frame.

Since I am not moving my front hanger, and the distance from the center hole to the front of the spring is less than my old springs, I should be good.

None the less mocking up will be done!
THANKS FOR THE INPUT GUYS!!
pz

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 25, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »
pretty sure the frame will be too wide to mount the shackles.  you might have to go under the frame.

Phazertwo [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 26, 2008, 11:44:38 AM »
it seems to be working out on top, I will take some pics.  However I won't really know until I get it out and flex it!