Author Topic: Her-Toy Buggy Build  (Read 6709 times)

her-toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 19
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
Her-Toy Buggy Build
« on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
We came across a 85 4Runner frame and body for free. It came to us on casters . We spend $700 for the front and rear axles.

So we cut the back end off, then part of the front.

We were ready to start to put the engine in. But then we were given yet another 4Runner ('88). This one had all the wiring and back seats so we did a body swap.

Please dont reply more to come in a few minutes.
85 frame and front axle 87 body 89 3.slo engine marlin doubler half doors rear racing seats ford gas tank tg rear 4link 38"tires 5:29 r&p Detroit EZ lock front and rear black body pink roll cage and marlin super flexed springs in front

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
Re: Her-Toy Buggy Build
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:10:49 PM »
After putting the 88 body on the 85 frame. We add a clutch, change the steering wheel, and re cut the body.

The Cab is on its way to the scrap yard with the frame from the 88.

85 frame and front axle 87 body 89 3.slo engine marlin doubler half doors rear racing seats ford gas tank tg rear 4link 38"tires 5:29 r&p Detroit EZ lock front and rear black body pink roll cage and marlin super flexed springs in front

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:12:01 PM »
And then we started on the doubler.

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:14:38 PM »
well we picked up the 37" mud terrains last week and cracked open the second transfer case last night now i need to find some were to have the bearing pressed off the 28 spline input shaft and onto the 30 spline replacement then the drive terrain will be complete. i nee to figure out how to mount the x member the bolts in the frame rusted off so i'll have to rebuild that part then it's onto the engine install yea....

i like the bucket seats in the back more than the bench seat

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:17:14 PM »
so i had Jason turn my fly wheel and bolted that on the other night then went to install the clutch and it's a no fit. they had to overnight me the new clutch and a return label for the other one but now jason is out of town for a week so i can't get to the engine to install it moab is slowly slipping away..... i have to get the engine installed before i can build the core support and need to mount the gas tank and do wiring

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 10, 2008, 02:19:18 PM »
so i'm going to see if the new clutch fits and maby bring the engine home tonight so i can work on getting it mounted i will be buying the lincon hd 180 welder from home depot to night as well oh here is a pic of the front springs in place now i need a ladder to get in

the back is held up by tj's hoist thanks again for letting me borrow that it worked better than the high lift and a lot safer to also a pic of my new awning after the F#$%^ storm took it to my back yard!

i also got 4 link for the rear . Dont know if I am going to use it. Might just put 5in spring on the rear.
Ok I am done for know you can reply.

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 17, 2008, 02:58:10 PM »
Ok so we almost have the engine in place. We had to order new motor mounts form the dealer. So we got raped on them. 

They should be in on Wed so we started the 4 link. It was really easy to put in. :D Just have to weld it now. Had to cut the back seat area up but should be really easy to put back to mount a seat back there.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:00:50 PM »
holy crap! looks like areal nice project...what welder did you use for the 4link setup?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
holy crap! looks like areal nice project...what welder did you use for the 4link setup?
lincon hd 180 welder from home depot. I am really happy with it so for. But have not used the gas  yet.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:17:58 PM »
really? they look like really clean welds for that kinda thing. if its what i think it is its a 110 right? us checking becuase my dad bought the 3200HD pack welder and i wasnt sure if it was up to the task strenght wise of doing that critical of welding.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:23:53 PM »
They are just tacked welded right now.

If you are talking about the welds in this picture

They would be factory welds. You cant see the tack welds we made very good in the picture.

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
really? they look like really clean welds for that kinda thing. if its what i think it is its a 110 right? us checking becuase my dad bought the 3200HD pack welder and i wasnt sure if it was up to the task strenght wise of doing that critical of welding.
220V welder with gas  this is a TG kit for the pickup and we are retroing it for the 4runner frame so it all drops in and we will weld it down once its all in place

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »

So I found out how bad girders hurt  :rivers:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »
a girder ???
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2008, 08:29:02 PM »
a girder ???
Ya we were cleaning the rust and old paint off to get a better weld.

WHITE RHINO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 88
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 18, 2008, 04:48:36 PM »
not to bad,  but i would seriously wear safety glasses when using a grinder.  i had a cut off wheel explode and i would have lost my left eye if i didnt have glasses on.    I ended up with a pretty decent gash on below my eye that landed me in the ER and a pair of safety glasses with a giant crack in them!     just trying to help out!
88/89 Ranger  Extended cab swap, full hydro, 35spline 60 high steered, linked 16" airshocks,   rear eaton h052 5.13s, 63's,    EXO  doubler, H1's with 44" TSLs

bay area guys check out section8krawlers.com

her-toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »
not to bad,  but i would seriously wear safety glasses when using a grinder.  i had a cut off wheel explode and i would have lost my left eye if i didnt have glasses on.    I ended up with a pretty decent gash on below my eye that landed me in the ER and a pair of safety glasses with a giant crack in them!     just trying to help out!
Thanks, I had been wearing them. I had just forgot when I had to trim a little more off.  I still should of had them on. Safety should always be 1st.

WHITE RHINO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 88
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2008, 10:54:08 AM »
yeah that happens , the only reason i brought it up was i was doing the exact same thing, cutting floor boards...
88/89 Ranger  Extended cab swap, full hydro, 35spline 60 high steered, linked 16" airshocks,   rear eaton h052 5.13s, 63's,    EXO  doubler, H1's with 44" TSLs

bay area guys check out section8krawlers.com

1981_toy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2008, 08:26:48 PM »
good lookin runner!!