Author Topic: Reverse noise '85 22RE  (Read 2643 times)

hawaiian

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Reverse noise '85 22RE
« on: Aug 02, 2004, 12:13:40 AM »
my truck started making a metal on metal tapping noise in reverse. Reverse still grabs good, nothing is popping out, forward gears all work good & with no noise. Just reverse. The noise is in 2x4 and 4x4 so its not the front pumpkin or driveshaft. I figure its either in the rear end or the trans. Anybody ever had that noise before? I am going to drop my rear driveshaft first tomorrow morning and see if it still makes noise in reverse without turning the rear end. I'll try and isolate the noise to either the rear end or the t-case/trans. Any ideas on figuring out where its coming from if its NOT the rear end? Thanks.

I have a 85 22RE with a marlin crawler. Two sets of stock gears in the cases.

locknload

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Reverse noise '85 22RE
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2004, 07:49:32 AM »
I've had failing rear u-joints do that: I'd look REAL close at that before I tore into the tranny or 3rd member.
Good luck

hawaiian [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '03
  • I Love My Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 03, 2004, 12:06:21 PM »
 I put the rear end on jackstands and ran reverse in idle. The noise is definately coming from the trans. I put everything away and did the only logical thing. I called Marlin @ Marlin Crawler and got through his ever so professional salesperson Chris. Once I had Marlin on the phone I described the noise and he came back with "let me guess its an 85-88 EFI engine with the W56 trans". This answer was akin to a religious experience. He nailed it. He went on to tell me its the REVERSE IDLER GEAR that got chipped. This happens when I put it in reverse before allowing the synchros to slow down. (DOH! it wasnt me, the previous owner must have done it) Anyway he told me if I am lucky I can change the oil and get the chip out, if the chip doesn't come out the magnets eventually get it. The trans will run this way for years he said. Reverse will slowly get progressively worse until it will start popping out of gear. I'm OK for more wheeling for the time being.

Well I am on the hook now for a new W56 "HD" trans as soon as I get back from Kauai this is the next project. Marlin is the Toyota guru, the prophet Marlin. He knows his stuff boy.

I drained the trans oil and some good sized chunks of metal came out. The oil was a shiny metallic color to it as well. I had just changed the trans oil about 2 weeks ago which was good, I knew the metal was all from yesterday, not the past 214,000 miles. So as sucky as it is my reverse idler gear is broken i figure its got 214K on the tranny. Not bad for a trans that's been through Moab and Waikane how many times in the past almost 20 years.

I feel pretty good about the chunks of metal I seen. I think the rest of the broken piece was pulverized by the remaining good gears. Its got a fresh oil change in it now. I'm figuring i'll run it a good 50 miles or so and dump it again one more time then i'll be good to go until I can swing a new trans from Marlin.

Well, I fired up the old beast tonight to go for a run to the store and lo and behold my water pump exploded on me tonight on the H1. What a trip. Toyota's get this way every so often. I must have done something to get her mad. All these problems are surfacing at the same time. What are the chances of that? I had to tow her home and tomorrow i'll R&R the water pump. While i'm in there im going to get the radiator rodded out and acid washed.

I look at the bright side. The water pump could have exploded on me in the bottom of Waikane or half way up powerline road on Kauai. This way is better. Well, may as well bring it on now. What else is going to break? I think what it is is my truck just hates the pavement. I can take her to hell and back through the desert and snow, mud and rocks no problem but as soon as I hit the freeway things start breaking. WTF over?

I think I must have angered the Toyota gods somehow. Probably by reading the heresy of one of the new long wrangler articles. I'll bet thats what did it.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #3 on: Aug 05, 2004, 12:23:41 AM »
Some times my educated guessing is right :crossed:
Thanks for changing the oil right away and yes, please dump it again after 50 miles or so. I use 80/90 weight GL5 gear oil.
Remember to go easy in reverse and better yet, park in a way so you will not need to use it as much.

What did it cost to get your runner floated to the Land of the Palm trees?
How long did it take?

At least the pump did'nt go thur the raidartor when the it took a dump....

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....