Author Topic: Power Steering Install  (Read 10216 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Power Steering Install
« on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:09:45 PM »
This Thread is Featured in our Tech from our Forum Members section!

Parts List:

My truck didn’t come with power steering, it wasn’t horrible but with 33 inch tires it did become an experience and sometimes painful to try to wheel with. I decided that power steering was needed and by chance a friend of mine had almost everything I needed to install it in my truck. In this write up I will go over all the steps on installing everything , this write up will also benefit anyone doing  any work on their power steering.

First off here are all the pieces needed to swap out your manual for power steering, make sure to get all of these pieces or you’ll be scrambling to get them. There isn’t very many pieces to worry about but make sure to get them all for the swap.

The reservoir
The three low pressure  return hoses and hose clamps
The High pressure line hose, mounting bracket and bolt
The oil cooler, mounting brackets and bolts
The pump mounting bracket and bolts
The pump with pulley and mounting bolts
The steering box with the pitman arm, lock washer & nut and the steering box mounting bolts
The tensioner bracket with mounting bolts, pulley and  tensioner bolt
The crankshaft pulley and mounting bolts

« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 04:44:49 PM by BigMike »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Power Steering Install
« Reply #1 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:11:27 PM »
Box Removal:

First make sure you have the wheels pointing straight ahead do not have them cranked to one side or the other. Remove the fan and fan shroud, you can pull the radiator also if you like but it is not required. Remove the front grill. Pull the oil dip stick. If you  do not already have a pitman arm on the power box remove it with a puller and leave it attached to the steering arm if you have the pitman on the power then just pull the ball joint with the puller. Undo the bolts on the steering shaft at both ends and push the shaft up and off the box, undo the three bolts holding the box and remove it.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »
Power Box Install:

Install the power steering box using the three bolts, reattach the pitman arm or ball joint and also the steering shaft. Make sure that the box is in the neutral position  or it will be in the power mode and try to steer your vehicle to the left or right when you are finished. You should have about 3 ½ turns of the steering wheel when centered either to the left or right. Make sure to prime the box with power steering fluid through the low pressure tube this will make it easier to run out the air once you are ready to fire your truck for the 1st time and will lubricate the seals and important valves.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:15:38 PM »
Crank Pulley Install:

Next install the crank pulley make sure that you put them in correctly and that they are completely tight but not so tight that you snap them off in the other pulley. You may have to install a washer to have them from bottoming out  and not tightening.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:17:10 PM »
Cooler Line Install:

Now lets put the cooler line in, you have to run it through the front of the radiator support and bolt it in. The hose connections should be directly above the box.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:19:57 PM »
Pump Bracket & Tensioner and pump Install:

Install the pump bracket and tensioner pulley on next this is why you must pull the oil check dip stick since from this point it will slide inside the bracket. Prime the pump, this will lubricate the seals & important pieces of the pump and install it into the bracket.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:21:06 PM »
Reservoir Install:

Depending on which reservoir you have will decide where it will be located, either on the wheel well or against the inside wall of the engine compartment. I had to mount mine on the inside wall since the mounts are flat. Some are angled so that it can be mounted to the wheel well. Just make sure the reservoir is straight and not angled.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:25:23 PM »
Plumbing:

Pretty cut and dry the large low pressure line goes from the reservoir to the pump from the large openings, the high pressure line threads in the pump and then threads in on the pump, from the pump the low pressure line goes to the lower cooler line then comes out and goes back to the reservoir. Once all connections are made and tight including all the low pressure lines and the high pressure line go ahead an fill the reservoir with power steering.  While finishing up putting everything on watch for gravity leaks and fix as required. This will also help in priming the pump and box keep an eye on the fluid level and add as needed.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Fan, fan shroud, belts install:

At this point you can put the fan and fan shroud back on, you my have to loosen the fan/alternator belt if the pulley popped off . This is done at the alternator  just loosen the top and bottom bolt and push it in. Slide the pulley back over the studs on the water pump and then slide the shroud and fan at the same time. Attach the fan to the water pump studs and tighten. Don’t over tighten them they easily snap off and reattach the shroud to the radiator. Retention the alternator/fan belt and tighten both bolts. Once on slide the power steering pump belt over the fan and onto the pulleys and tighten the tensioner. If it will not tighten loosen the center nut on the pulley. Once the proper tension has been applied tighten the pulley center nut . You can also reinstall the grill. Double check everything and make sure all bases are covered and tight.

Check the reservoir and add fluid if needed now fire up the engine and start turning the steering wheel left and right, lock to lock for about a minute then shut off the engine. Check the reservoir and add fluid, start the engine again and start turning the steering wheel again lock to lock you may start to feel the power steering coming in now but there will be bumps where it won’t work again, just keep steering back and forth until the air works its way out of the system. The reservoir will become somewhat foamy but don’t worry this is normal just keep it full and keep rocking the steering wheel until all of the air is gone. This could take a few minutes so be patient. Once you get smooth steering operation shut the engine off and let the foamy/ bubbles subside then top off the reservoir. Restart the motor and recheck the steering for anymore air pockets, there may be some in the lines.

Now go ahead and take her for a test drive and see how it works, if it seems to want to pull to one side or the other you may not have the pitman arm centered in the nuetral position for the steering box and need to adjust it by removing the arm from the box and centering it.  From center you should have around 3.5 revolutions of the steering wheel either to the left or right. If it is any more or less the other direction should be the same or the box is not in the neutral position when driving in a straight line. Other than that you are pretty much done and ready to enjoy your power steering

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:10:59 PM »
Thank you! this will come in handy as i have just recently accquired some related parts.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150273054099&rd=1
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 30, 2008, 09:17:42 PM »
The pump mounting bracket and bolts
The pump with pulley and mounting bolts

just a note, but make sure the brackets and pump are from the same vehicle or same year, make sure they bolt to each other...

my 84 with the old 22r had power steering, but i didnt have the brackets... i put on brackets from a new style 87 22re onto a new style 85 22r i swapped in place of the old style 22r.. my 84 pump would not bolt to the 87 brackets.... i ended up having to use the pump from an 87 and i just capped off the idle up ports, as they aren't needed
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 03:53:08 PM »