Author Topic: Fuel gage?  (Read 2402 times)

Moit88RNR

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 39
  • Male Posts: 360
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Fuel gage?
« on: Jun 22, 2008, 07:36:39 PM »
i have an 88 4R with the 23 gallon tank. when i fill it up it reads full. but after it gets to about 3/4 tank it drops the rest of the way in about 20 miles. so it reads empty when i still have about half tank. if anyone has experienced this or knows what is causing it please let me know.  thanks

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel gage?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 22, 2008, 07:41:54 PM »
I am unfamiliar with a 4R, and have never seen a 23 gal stock tank... This sounds like an intersting vehicle!

Without knowing what a 4R is and if the 23 gal tank is stock, I can not be sure of what your problem is, although it sounds like a bad sending unit.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jun 22, 2008, 07:49:08 PM »
I am unfamiliar with a 4R, and have never seen a 23 gal stock tank... This sounds like an intersting vehicle!

Without knowing what a 4R is and if the 23 gal tank is stock, I can not be sure of what your problem is, although it sounds like a bad sending unit.
um HELLO a 4Runner

my 79 has always dont that but usually  when it gets to about a 1/3 of a tank  it drops to empty
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 22, 2008, 07:56:28 PM »
OMG I am retarded :hammerhead:

No way is the 23 gal tank stock then, because as far as i know, the biggest tank 1st gen runners left the factory with was a 17.something tank. I am thinking your sender is shot.

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 22, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »
X2 on KDX's diagnosis. Replace the sender, and I'm sure you will be happy. I have not heard of very many of these going bad, so a junkyard might be your cheapest option. A layer of varnish on the contacts may be your problem, so it may also be possible to clean them (don't quote me on that, as I've not seen the actual part, only others - just a thought). If that is possible, a can of electrical contact cleaner would be the best to use.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

Moit88RNR [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 22, 2008, 10:56:32 PM »
yea i might be confused on the tank size but anyway i dont really know what or where the sender is? but im ready to replace it as soon as i figure it out. anyway thanks for the input

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:25:37 PM »
17.2 for the runners
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 22, 2008, 11:38:57 PM »
yea i might be confused on the tank size but anyway i dont really know what or where the sender is? but im ready to replace it as soon as i figure it out. anyway thanks for the input
The sending unit on on the top side of the tank. You will have to drop the tank down to change the sending unit. Your 4Runner should have a fuel light that comes on, drive it until the light comes on then drop the tank.   :psss: not only is the tank heavy with gas in it but at $4.50 a gallon, the last thing you want to do is spill gas everywhere  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2008, 09:13:26 AM »
The sending unit on on the top side of the tank. You will have to drop the tank down to change the sending unit. Your 4Runner should have a fuel light that comes on, drive it until the light comes on then drop the tank.   :psss: not only is the tank heavy with gas in it but at $4.50 a gallon, the last thing you want to do is spill gas everywhere  :twocents:

Isn't there a maintenance panel under the rear set, to give you access to it? :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Moit88RNR [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2008, 10:35:51 AM »
well im going to go try and swipe one from the junkyard and see if i cant do that today

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2008, 11:34:54 AM »

Isn't there a maintenance panel under the rear set, to give you access to it? :dunno:
Yeah, there sure is but Toyota didn't make the access panel large enough to access the sending unit from it, just the fuel pump.
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3