Author Topic: marlin lifts vs trail gear?  (Read 30886 times)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: marlin lifts vs trail gear?
« Reply #30 on: Jun 11, 2008, 10:52:43 AM »
:disturbed:  OH CAN I DO EEET :hyper:

That guy is fun to play with.....  He came on Timbercrawler and the first thing he did was start a thread pimping the 4 link kit...  That was fun for me... not so much for him. :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jun 11, 2008, 03:49:14 PM »
So, back to where are the Marlin springs made? I'm looking to replace my rear Chev springs because they don't look like they're going to work with my Marlin rear bumper.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 11, 2008, 03:50:28 PM »
the marlin springs are made @ betts truck parts in san leandro, CA
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:28:41 PM »
Yes, I've heard they were made there at one point. Can someone from MC tell me where they are made please? Thanks.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:33:31 PM »
call the shop

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:53:22 PM »
Why call the shop? Its a simple question with a very quick answer. I'd need to take time out of my work day to call the shop.  :confused:

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »
call the shop if you want to get an answer from a marlin employee... it makes sense to me

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 11, 2008, 04:58:58 PM »
Bigmike's already been in this thread to answer one question. Isn't that what this board is for? Questions about, concerns with, praise for, and use of Marlin products?

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:00:12 PM »
Why call the shop? Its a simple question with a very quick answer. I'd need to take time out of my work day to call the shop.  :confused:

any more time out of the work day than posting the same question 11ty billion times on the web? i dont think so....... it is mentioned in several threads here that the springs are made by betts, yet you still choose not to beleive it...

sorry, the staff @ marlin doesnt surf the internet all day while they are at work... they process orders... and answer phone calls.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:02:35 PM »
dude... seriously, just call the shop and ask, its not that hard... dial a few numbers on a phone and push talk or whatever and have a pleasent conversation with the person on the other end of the line. I don't even understand why you are trying to argue calling the shop to talk to a Marlin employee... it makes perfect sense to me.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:03:36 PM »
Thet are made by betts and will out last trailgear plus flex and ride better  :bash:

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #41 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:17:30 PM »
Go ahead and buy the Trail Queer stuff.  :stopit:

When it brakes, and other people have to help you off, then you will know why people by Marlins'.

If thats not enough for you, I'll try the economical approach.

If you buy from a company that gets there parts from China, then all you are doing is spending American money overseas.

So spend you money on an American company that will inturn spend it on another American company. Help keep the economy going.

And if thats still not enough, then just go to hell!!!!!
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:41:21 PM »
If you check out the spring section on the site there is absolutely no mention that the springs are made in the USA which is oh so prominent everywhere else. In fact if you look at the kits it states that 82% of it is made in the US. Obviously the Bilstein shocks aren't and I'm fairly certain the springs make up the other part of the 18% thats not.

Jimbo, I'm done work now, I have all the time in the world.

KDX, I'm not argueing with anyone, just a simple question. A phone call is going to cost me money on my cell bill that doesn't need to be spent as well as time out of my day.

lucky, yes they were made by Betts at one time, I'd like to know where they are made now. Apparantly Betts were costing too much and couldn't keep prices competitive. Perhaps they will outlast and outflex TG stuff, thats not my concern.

Taco, I don't know which brand I'll buy yet and quite honestly the economy approach with me is barking up the wrong tree. Whatever I buy, Marlin, TG, Alcan, Deaver, etc. I will be sending my non American money out of country. And if thats still not enough, there's no need to resort to grade school and start tossing insults.

Now, if anyone can answer my question it would be appreciated, thanks.

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jun 11, 2008, 05:56:21 PM »
call the shop

:yupyup:

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:02:41 PM »
call the shop
:yupyup:

:werd:

i am 99% positive they are still made by betts

~ John F. Kennedy ~

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:18:46 PM »
I'm 99% positive that if they were then it would be plastered across the spring section in big ol' red white and blue letters to confirm like all the other stuff that is made in the US.

I'm happy with my past purchases from Marlin and I will continue to buy his products even if some are outsourced to stay competitive. If he's deemed them fit to use his name then they're most likely a good product. I'd just like to get an official word on where they're made.

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #46 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:19:04 PM »
cam011

Didn't know that you were out of State. Sorry.

As for the (Go to Hell) statement, it was more of a joke than it was a serious comment. It was said to get a response.

It sounds like you havn't been around that long. And that there is some history that you have not been prevy to, regarding TG and Marlin.

These two shops are kind of like mortal enemies. Do some searching.

You can save a few dollars with TG, but in the long run the Marlins will last much longer. TG has gone out of there way to really piss alot of people off. The only reason they are even still in business is because the make deals with so many other shops to carry there stuff. Alot of people buy TG stuff from other shops and dont even know it.

The two companies have alot of items that look similar, but trust me when I say that it ends there.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

mtsnow29 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:37:57 PM »
hope i didn't start a kill fest on this tread! i just wanted to know why trail gear was cheaper and i appreciate all the responses. its makes a lot of sense. i see that you cant order the 5inch marlin lift kit online, are those springs discontinued or should i just call up and order them?

KDXSR5

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:38:45 PM »
I would say call the chop

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
call the shop

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #50 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:43:33 PM »
and here's the "simple" answer,  -----> Bett's
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:45:00 PM »
and here's the "simple" answer,  -----> Bett's

glen has ties with the marlin family, my bet is that he just called them on the cell and asked.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:45:11 PM »
hope i didn't start a kill fest on this tread! i just wanted to know why trail gear was cheaper and i appreciate all the responses. its makes a lot of sense. i see that you cant order the 5inch marlin lift kit online, are those springs discontinued or should i just call up and order them?
no they are not discontinued,  if  you dont see the little shopping cart icon it means they are out of stock,  but they will be back ASAP :thumbs:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »
I'm 99% positive that if they were then it would be plastered across the spring section in big ol' red white and blue letters to confirm like all the other stuff that is made in the US.

I'm happy with my past purchases from Marlin and I will continue to buy his products even if some are outsourced to stay competitive. If he's deemed them fit to use his name then they're most likely a good product. I'd just like to get an official word on where they're made.

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jun 11, 2008, 06:51:32 PM »
cam011

Didn't know that you were out of State. Sorry.

As for the (Go to Hell) statement, it was more of a joke than it was a serious comment. It was said to get a response.

It sounds like you havn't been around that long. And that there is some history that you have not been prevy to, regarding TG and Marlin.

These two shops are kind of like mortal enemies. Do some searching.

You can save a few dollars with TG, but in the long run the Marlins will last much longer. TG has gone out of there way to really piss alot of people off. The only reason they are even still in business is because the make deals with so many other shops to carry there stuff. Alot of people buy TG stuff from other shops and dont even know it.

The two companies have alot of items that look similar, but trust me when I say that it ends there.
Out of country actually, no worries, I'm tough to offend. I'm not trying to start a bashfest at all. I'm well aware of TG/Marlin rivalries and not into comparing their products to MC stuff. I just want an honest answer on where the MC springs are made. I have a pretty good idea, just like to see it in black and white, which is why I will NOT call the shop.

I will most likely get the MC rears weather they're made in USA, Mexico, China, Zimbabwe etc. as I know a few that run them and are happy with them and the price is more than fair.

Thanks to everyone else for keeping this at the top so someone from MC is more likely to see it and answer the question.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:23:11 PM »

I will most likely get the MC rears weather they're made in USA, Mexico, China, Zimbabwe etc. as I know a few that run them and are happy with them and the price is more than fair.

That makes NO sense at all.  I'm probably gonna buy them no matter what but I want to know from someone that works there that they are USA made...   Just buy TG springs so you will at least have something worth bitching and whining about.  :slap:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »
If you don't have the cash go trail queer. If you naver run marlin you won't know the difference anyway. :idiot:

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:49:22 PM »
That makes NO sense at all.  I'm probably gonna buy them no matter what but I want to know from someone that works there that they are USA made... 
It makes perfect sense to me. I'm not from the US, I don't need to support your economy. I have no problem running Chinese or other springs if the quality is there and neither does Betts. Yes, Betts is a simple answer but it still doesn't tell me where they're made.

Straight from Betts' website;

"In recent years, import leaf springs have emerged as an alternative to domestic manufactured products. Import product is increasingly recognized as a cost effective alternative at an acceptable standard of quality, but many companies are reluctant to engage in import programs due to risk, unfamiliarity and lack of infrastructure. Betts has developed and qualified high quality import sources for high quantity applications where the economies of import supply become important. We coordinate design, production, testing and distribution as value add services for our customers."

http://www.bettsspring.com/leaf.php

cam011

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jun 11, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »
If you don't have the cash go trail queer. If you naver run marlin you won't know the difference anyway. :idiot:
I have the cash.

mtsnow29 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jun 11, 2008, 08:40:15 PM »
It makes perfect sense to me. I'm not from the US, I don't need to support your economy. I have no problem running Chinese or other springs if the quality is there and neither does Betts. Yes, Betts is a simple answer but it still doesn't tell me where they're made.

Straight from Betts' website;

"In recent years, import leaf springs have emerged as an alternative to domestic manufactured products. Import product is increasingly recognized as a cost effective alternative at an acceptable standard of quality, but many companies are reluctant to engage in import programs due to risk, unfamiliarity and lack of infrastructure. Betts has developed and qualified high quality import sources for high quantity applications where the economies of import supply become important. We coordinate design, production, testing and distribution as value add services for our customers."

http://www.bettsspring.com/leaf.php

WO! READING THAT JUST TOTALLY HURT MY HEAD. BIG WORD, LOTS OF EM  :crazy: