Author Topic: Speedometer/E-Brake Problem  (Read 1155 times)

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Speedometer/E-Brake Problem
« on: May 29, 2008, 08:43:33 PM »
I'm not sure which it is... I only see one cable coming out from the firewall and I'm not sure whether it's the e-brake or the speedometer cable...  Given that my speedometer now bounces...

My problem... Guy puts in exhaust.  Looks lovely.

Forgets to tuck the cable back in behind the heat shield/tie it off.  So it ends up touching the exhaust.  And the foam/rubber insulation *catches fire*  :yikes:  I got to it after a couple of minutes of driving(white smoke is pretty obvious ???what the hell???), but the cable - whichever one it is, is now missing a 2 inch section of insulation - just the wire casing is left...

So... Gotta take it back and get him to fix/replace  it...    :maddest:

Just wanted to vent I guess....    You think he would double check to see if anything was touching...   :wall:

Q: how do I tell which cable is which?  I'm hoping it really isn't the speedometer because that's a total PITA to take out and put back in.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Speedometer/E-Brake Problem
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:53:03 PM »
the speedometer cable is a lot easier than the ebrake!

follow the cable, speedo comes out right below the heater valve near the master cylinder and drops down
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
just follow the cable.  Brake cable will go to the rear axle, speedo will go to the t-case :gap:  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Plekto [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »
Looks like the speedo then.  It's the only thing I can think of that's that high up and comes out of the firewall and goes down towards the transmission.  But I'll double check tomorrow at the shop. (I'm certainly not paying for the replacement part).

For a split second I was tempted to let it burn and catch then whole thing on fire...  but it'd take me a couple of months to get the insurance money and a new rig...   
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 09:13:18 PM by Plekto »

Plekto [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 10:54:43 AM »
Got it sorted.  Needed to take the cluster out anyways as I have a cold short somewhere in one of the dash lights and it flickering bugs the crud out of me.