Author Topic: 86 - 95 IFS RR ends. 4cyl. Vs 6cyl. What are the differences?  (Read 4885 times)

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
Hey guys, I'm swapping out RR ends on my 84Rnr. I was told that everthing was the same on the IFS RR's, but is there any difference between the 4 and 6 cyl RR's besides the 3rd's. If so what are they. :help:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
The e-brake cable is longer beings the axle is 3" wider.  The brakes are bigger which will leave you with a soft brake pedal.  To get the pedal back either attach the ;spv arm to the underside of thebody or take it out completely.  The 6 cyl 3rds have a stronger gear set and the pinion size is bigger but the flanges are interchangable.  Im you are using a 90+ runner rearend it will have a bunch of brackets to torch off and you'll need to weld on new perches.  I think it was 93(?) that toyota changed its spring perch setup to a 3' wide perch.  You can overcome that easily enough.  Good luck if you got any more Q's you know where to go.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

mudguts [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
I bought the rr end from Marlins shop, and I don't have a clue of what year it came out of or if it was a v6 or i4. The local parts house said the v6 wheel cylinders are different from i4 wheel cylinders. Are they? This just adds to my already confused state of mind.
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
It depends on the year.  For the most part I dont think that the wheel cyl's are different from 4-6cyl. trucks. 

locktup

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 68
  • Male Posts: 1,146
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Locktup Fab
    • View Profile
    • www.locktupfabrication.com
I think the gears are the same between the 4 and 6 3rd's. I have a V6 rear and I put the same gear as the front of my 85 runner, I had to shim the pinion on the V6 differently because the housing is biggger.
LOCKTUP SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN DISCOVERY CHANNEL SHOW!!

www.LOCKTUPFABRICATION.com

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
The gears can  be swapped between cases but there is some real differences between the two.  The pinion seems to be the biggest difference, as it is thicker and has a longer cut to the teeth.

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
If your rear doesn't have brake lines, the brakelines from your narrow rear still work-you just need to stretch them a little to fit.  I think the rear ubolts and plates may be a little wider.  I think the tubes are a little larger.  I can't confirm this as mine came with the plates and ubolts.  Shocks bolted right up to them too.

I totally eliminated the valve that adjusted the rear brake pressure when carrying a load.  I have it locked up the the full up position.  My brakes aren't soft at all and it feels like I have twice the braking with the larger brakes.  I will now never waste money on rear discs.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

mudguts [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
So the 86-95 axles and brake parts are all the same between the v6 and i4 rr ends, correct?

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Should be.  I don't see why anything would be different other than the third member.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

toyoda

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -137
  • Member since May '02
  • http://my4x4tv.com/
    • View Profile
    • Yoda offroad tripz
Yep they're the same even the tacos up to i think 98 are the same. I have one side that i got from the junk yard off a tacoma.
You can always swap in your 84 brakes if you'd like. I've heard people that swear they stop better then the newer larger ones. I didnt notice a difference either way. I would think that when you swap axles that you would do a brake job at the same time which would make you stop better. who knows. This is how i went about my ebrake setup. I might end up tieing it up later but ive ran this for two years without too much of a problem. i do bang it on the rocks and have to bend it back out a bit. ohh and get an inboard e-brake if you dont have the cables anymore.

If you don't know why I have a "D" in Toyoda you don't know Toyotas!!
http://my4x4tv.com/

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
nope, taco axles are 60" wide or so, and all of them without the locker use the stronger 8" caged thirds that aren't interchangeable with earlier axles

also, the '90 rear i have in my back yard has 3" wide spring perches on it

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Hmmm so it seems that its a 3rd gen thing on the perch's.  I was wondering about beings the rearend from the 90 had the wide perches on it.  But it was a 2x so I was unsure.  I put a 86 rearend under the84 it was a direct bolt in, same perces etc.

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
Is there a more detailed how to write up any where on the rear brake valve you are talking about I switched to the wider axle a few years ago on my 85 4runner and the peddle has been soft every since.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Look at the pic that toyoda put up.  That arm that he extended the end of is attached to the load valve for the rear brakes.  The easiest way to get your rear brakes to work decent again is to unbolt the arm from the axle and either ziptie or wire it to the underside of the body.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
last year I put 90 rear brakes on my 83. the pedle is a little softer, well goes a little farther down no. butt works really good!
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
Mudguts, running bigger brakes in the back is the shizzie! Dont dare go back down. I'll post a pic tommorrow of what I did to the rear brake proporting valve. I cut it off at the valve and attached a turnbuckle to the floorboard and the remaining piece of bar coming out of the proporting valve. That way I could still adjust my rear brakes. As for the big brake soft pedal, get a master cylnder from a newer model 4runner with the 3 liter V6. this has a larger diameter bore and gives that extra push you need to stiffen up that pedal. Do this and you'll love those big brakes!   :thumbs:
« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2004, 09:57:35 AM by Suprarunner »

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
 :thumbs:Thanks for all the sugg's I am leaving for Dusy either tonight or first thing in the a.m when I get back I will start looking for a bigger Master cyl. I'd like to get in done before Barrett Lake in Sept.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
Most 3rd gen trucks have a 15/16ths" master not just V6 trucks.  If you find a truck with a aluminum master its a 1" bore. 

mudguts [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info guys, and the pics toyoda and suprarunner. Now, if my daily driver would just die, I would have parts galore(88 4rnr,v6,4x4 SR5 w 257K)  :thumbs: