Author Topic: 1999 3RZ from automatic Taco; Does crank accept a pilot bearing for 5speed swap?  (Read 2151 times)

LeftCoast

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I have a 1999 3RZ from an automatic Taco (2nd gen 3rz, with the twin coil packs) that I bought to put into a 98 4Runner I thought needed a motor...it didn't. Motor is currently in storage, and owner is on vacation.

So now I'm looking at a 3rz motor swap into a 1st or 2nd gen runner, but I know it'd be easier and cheaper to go with a w56 tranny. I also know some years' 3rz motors aren't cut for a pilot bearing (WTF), but have heard you can get the crank machined to work. Any info on this would be appreciated.

What would you swap gurus do given my situation? What's the best way to use this motor, and path of least resistance for using this motor? Can this motor be used in place of a 1st(with distributer) or 3rd(4 coil packs) generation Taco easily, or is there a complication with the injector harness and ecu not being from the 2 coil version of the 3rz?

Thanks in advance.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 15
  • Male Posts: 1,335
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would say find a 4runner of taco with a high mileage 2ng gen 3rz in it and swap it over.  That is the path of least resistance.  There are many other options though - and all require a bit of work.  If you need a 3rz bellhousing to mount to a w56 trans, I have an extra I am willing to part with for cheap.
"A friend will help you move.  A real friend will help you move a body."

"They call it PMS because Mad Cow Disease was already taken"

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

"I once read somewhere that drinking causes violence, so I quit reading"

LeftCoast [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
I really appreciate the response, BUDDERS. I've done a lot of research or the 3rz swap, but before I go getting more parts for a swap, let's make sure the parts'll  go together.

1. Am I incorrect, or do some years' automatic 3rz motors have cranks not designed to accept a pilot bearing? What years have the problem, and can the crank be machined to accept one (if not)?

2. Short of finding a 2nd gen 3rz vehicle, what would be the best swap options? I assume 1st/second gen runners and 2nd/3rd gen pick ups with a 22re 5speeds (w56) would be the easiest swaps.

3. If this had to, would using the 3rz as an automatic be possible? I think you'd need to use a Taco auto transmission, but I know there's no conversion wiring harnesses available for an automatic. Is the automatic much more of a PITA to wire? I thought some of the guys here had 3rz autos wired up. If I had to use the auto transmission(ie the motor's crank won't accept the pilot), I would probably do it in a 2wd application (85-90 Winnebago).

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Well, I know my 3rd gen 3rz motor accepted a pilot bearing - and it was from an automatic.  I have it mated to a w56 trans in my '85 4x4.  After talking to Marlin and Big Mike, I went with a 2rz engine wirring harness and ecu for a 5spd so everything will play hapily together.  There are no real clearance issues on my 2nd gen pickup.  After spending countless hours trying to wire this thing up, I gave up and bouth the ORS harness and that has made things much easier.  The rest was just moving/fabing/extending of fuel lines, coolant hoses, p/s hose, and motor mounts.

Now after my project has been sitting for so long, the fuel pump won't turn on when I went to start it.  I pulled the tank and found old gas with a corroded/seized fuel pump.  Something more to fix.....

"Hopefully, if I crap in a gopher hole, one doesn't try and nibble at my taint"  - my freind Fat Tony

LeftCoast [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Sorry BUDDERS, I thought your project had been done for a while.

BUDDERS

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Nope, it's been sitting for a while waiting for finances and time - and now I have a better job with Saturdays off.