Author Topic: Is Calico Next To Be Closed?  (Read 1895 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Is Calico Next To Be Closed?
« on: May 24, 2008, 08:54:56 PM »
It seems that this is the new way to lock us out of our wheeling areas, create an issue and push it tell us it is bad for our health and then close access for our own safety. I think I should decide what is safe for me not some bureaucratic system that does. Maybe they should take cigarettes away before they close an area that may or may not cause harm to me. I think more people get cancer from cigarettes in Rhode Island than all of the arsenic and asbestos does in the entire country.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsroom/2008/mat/CDDNews0849_Calico_contamincation.html
Elevated Arsenic Levels Discovered South of Calico Ghost Town Park (05-14-2008)

Quote from: BLM
News Release

For Release: May 14, 2008                                                               
CA-CDD-08- 49
Elevated Arsenic Levels Discovered South of Calico Ghost Town Park

A preliminary environmental assessment of a mill tailings site just south of the San Bernardino County historic Calico Ghost Town Park has determined that elevated levels of arsenic are present and pose a potential public health hazard.

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has initiated preliminary actions at the site to protect human health as part of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act evaluation process.

According to BLM officials, the mill tailings begin just north of Ghost Town Road and continue in a southerly direction towards Interstate 15.  The mill tailings begin on non-public lands but have encroached onto BLM managed public lands to the south, as well private lands to the southwest that include a residential subdivision.

"Public safety is our primary concern," states Roxie Trost, BLM Barstow Field Office manager. "We are currently assessing the potential risks to the general public and are initiating appropriate actions in accordance with department regulations."

The BLM will be proactive with public information and guidance as further assessments determine potential impacts to public health, public land use, and environmental impact. The mine tailings are the result of extensive historic mining and milling operations during the 1880’s to early 1900’s period, when the mining district was world famous for its rich silver mines.

BLM had been actively involved in working with local historic mining communities to resolve similar environmental hazard issues in other regions of the Mojave Desert.

For further information contact: Stephen Razo, BLM California Desert District Office, 951-697-5217.

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Re: Is Calico Next To Be Closed?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2008, 11:44:39 PM »
BLM or NLM (Nazi of Land Management)

I swear these people wont rest until we're all riding Horses again.

(Oh wait that would mean more Horses and more methane because Horses fart, ok I guess we will be walking) :stopit:
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Is Calico Next To Be Closed?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2008, 03:55:52 PM »
This day has turned from bad to worse, first I find that the Navy has applied for Johnson Valley to be withdrawn from public use then I find this little gem. Sounds like they are going to start wanting to mine Calico again, which means they'll be wanting to bull-dose the trails there. Don't know how extensive the project will be but if they start we may lose access to the area.

http://www.sbsun.com/search/ci_10231765
Arizona company plans to drill for silver, barite in Calico - San Bernardino County Sun
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you