Author Topic: Blown Head Gasket  (Read 9443 times)

yo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
Blown Head Gasket
« on: Jul 12, 2004, 05:16:37 PM »
Last Monday a buddy of mine and our four kids were headed up to run the Rubicon.  We stopped in Placerville to eat and fuel up.  I think while we are at breakfast my top raidiator hose blew and emptied out the cooling system.  We got back on I-50 and headed up the hill one exit, losing power pulled over engine sounds terrible, won't idle coast to the gas station lift the hood and find the blown hose and a very hot motor. 

We replaced the hose but realized the cooling system was being pressurised by engine, water in oil.  Did compression check - #1-85, #2-55, #3-125, #4-125. 

So it's obvious that I need a head gasket, and possibly a lot more.  Has anyone had any experience with this. 

I'm worried that the head got hot and warped, which then resulted in the gasket blowing.  A local japanese motor import place does not recommend rebuilding 22re heads.  Any help/info would be much appreciatted.

PS - this really stinks cuz I was getting ready to go dual t-cases and now I'll have to spend the money I don't have on other parts.
Happy Trails,
Joe - '85 4Runner - the body used to be clean

"Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us?"
- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Blown Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2004, 10:44:05 AM »
Well It depends on what kind of shape the head is in , if it can be repaired or not. I know Marlin rebuilds heads , cause thats where I got mine from  :thumbs: The main concern is the deck hiegth and the water ports, if the water ports are eroded it's probably shot. But if not you can get the head milled for about $35. but you might as well rebuild it since its' off. So I woul call Marlins shop and talk to them , I know they are very busy and it might take a while, but the are priced very well.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 14, 2004, 10:47:42 AM »
Warping is common with the 22re heads after excessive heat.  I had one warp so bad the cam was binding in the journals. Sometimes they can be reheated & straightened ($$) but I have no personal experience with that method. I have also seen them crack.
« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2004, 10:49:56 AM by prism »
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2004, 11:05:58 AM »
  I had one warp so bad the cam was binding in the journals.

Damn!!  :o

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:28:41 PM »
I have heard several people talk about Marlin doing work on cylinder heads, but don't find any info on the site... what gives? 

I figure I should put in a performance cam that will help my bottom and mid-range while I'm at it - any help/experience out there?
Happy Trails,

"Do you suppose a few ruts in the road or rocks in the path are going to stop us?"
- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

donkeykong

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -159
  • Member since Jun '03
  • My truck and a nice trail...that's all I need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2004, 05:39:20 PM »
It is not something he does as a staple of his service, but if you go in and look real pittiful you just might get him to squezze you in and do it.  He did mine and also completely rebuilt my engine. Coudnt be happier :biggthumpup:

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2004, 06:08:08 PM »
Damn!!  :o

Blonde ex-girlfriend drove with a blown headgasket for 20 miles.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 14, 2004, 06:35:29 PM »
It is not something he does as a staple of his service, but if you go in and look real pittiful you just might get him to squezze you in and do it.  He did mine and also completely rebuilt my engine. Coudnt be happier

I live in Cottonwood, that probably ain't gonna happen  ???
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2004, 09:08:42 AM »
There is a older post on here about cams that some one had a few Questions . I run a TRD Stage 1 cam and it seems to work fine for me. I put it in the same time I did my gears and 36's so I didn't really have anything to compare too.

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 15, 2004, 06:25:08 PM »
TRD Stage 1 - Is your engine pretty much stock besides the cam?  I have an aftermarket foam filter (in the original air cleaner box) and will probably put a header and 2.25 exhasut system, otherwise mine will remain stock.  I've heard stories about messing up the injection, computer, idle, knock sensor etc. and don't want to go there.
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2004, 11:49:39 PM »
my head had a inch long crack right through where the intake and exhaust valves seated. i had to go and buy a whole new engine. :(
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

locknload

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 16, 2004, 07:59:20 AM »
I just finnished changing the timing gears/chain on my '87 22re. When I took off the head I found some water jacket erosion. Soooo.... I had it welded up, did a valve joband stuck it back together. It runs perfect. Compression is 152 +/- 1lb across the board, Not bad for a bottom end with 282k on it.  Every machine shop and machanic I talked to said rebuilding that head was a good option and should be as good as new...We shall see.
ONE thing. If you do rebuild the head be sure to;
A. Check Block deck for flatness.
B. Clean all gasket surfaces of all oil befor reassembly.
C. Run a tap and die over the head bolts and bolt holes OR get new head bolts.
D. Choose a good machine shop.
Good luck :wave:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2004, 09:32:36 AM »
TRD Stage 1 - Is your engine pretty much stock besides the cam?  I have an aftermarket foam filter (in the original air cleaner box) and will probably put a header and 2.25 exhasut system, otherwise mine will remain stock.  I've heard stories about messing up the injection, computer, idle, knock sensor etc. and don't want to go there.

Yes it is stock except for the 2 inch straight exhaust into a 2 chamber flow.  FOR NOW  :yupyup:

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 18, 2004, 05:03:44 PM »
Thanks for the input guys, I will pull the head tomorrow and see what comes of it
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #14 on: Jul 18, 2004, 09:31:56 PM »
Once you have the head off, [don't forget about the small 12 mm bolt located at the front of the head under the distributor drive gear], the most common area to crack is located between the exhaust seat and the closest water port. I will post a pic in the AM when i get to the shop.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 21, 2004, 11:41:39 PM »
Here is the cracked head photo...

yo [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
  • Runnin' to CRAWL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 30, 2004, 09:25:30 PM »
Hey thanks guys for the info and pics.  I have had my hands real full with other obligations and I'm still not sure when the Runner will be running.

PS - I have a bone to pick with you Marlin.  I was at a local wrecking yard (All Car in Anderson), they owe me a favor and I was hoping that they would give me a t-case for my runner so i could go the dual case set-up.  Keith kinda chuckles and says Marlin bought them all - whats the local guy todo? :smack:
Happy Trails,

- Apostle Paul, 64 AD

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #17 on: Jul 31, 2004, 09:43:35 PM »
Hey Yo, sorry for buying them out :(

Keith is a great guy and really helped me out with a T 100 R150F trans. The t/cases were a bonus find.
He was also able to locate a 3.4 V6 flywheel for me. It came from Oregon. :thumbs:
I would trust that he could find you a t/case from a local yard in Redding :crossed:

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....