Author Topic: To sale or sell???  (Read 9879 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
To sale or sell???
« on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:16:50 AM »
Is it an education issue, or is there a different reason why so many people can't figure this out?  I went to school in bfe, didn't do well and consider myself a brick.. wet sponge, so it honestly baffles me.

I have something for sale...

I need to sell something...

I don't need to sale something, and I don't have anything for sell... 

:rant:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: To sale or sell???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:22:40 AM »
when I see that in peoples ads I  wanna :slap:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:52:46 AM »
Holy :pokinit:, your avatar is killing me  :rofl2:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 20, 2008, 03:05:23 PM »
Grammar is lost on todays kids....  Of course thats what they said about my generation too...  :hahaha:
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 20, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »
Grammar is lost on todays kids....  Of course thats what they said about my generation too...  :hahaha:

They said that about mine too. But, this time they're right.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 20, 2008, 07:38:51 PM »
Nate will you sail me some parts. 

not as common, but it does happen.

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:45:46 PM »
Maybe if they were to teach reading, writing and arithmetic instead of promoting homosexuality and tolerance we wouldn't end up with illiterates...
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:49:28 PM »

I think its the texting & auto correct on today's computer word processors.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
and the interweb.

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 20, 2008, 08:52:12 PM »
I think its the texting

I blame texting and aol!  Both of those are teaching the young'ns to be lazy and that its ok to not spell worth a shiat....  I pride myself on at least half assed decent spelling...  :hahaha:

John Doe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 469
  • Male Posts: 1,587
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • Bored In Iraq.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:04:03 PM »
I think its the texting & auto correct on today's computer word processors.

Ive never been the best at grammar and spelling, but the auto spell check has actually helped me improve my spelling. I type it the way I think it is then I see the way it should be. Over time when I keep getting corrected I remember the correct spelling.

I believe it isn't the texting and such, just the belief that it is ok to use bad grammar. I'll text in the traditional scenes of the word, but when it comes to emails and forums, I use proper grammar.
My 85 4Runner build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=46841.0

peacesells: "Its kinda fun tryin to avoid body damage, just like playing operation with different sound effects"

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 20, 2008, 09:09:40 PM »
Ive never been the best at grammar and spelling, but the auto spell check has actually helped me improve my spelling. I type it the way I think it is then I see the way it should be. Over time when I keep getting corrected I remember the correct spelling.

I believe it isn't the texting and such, just the belief that it is ok to use bad grammar. I'll text in the traditional scenes of the word, but when it comes to emails and forums, I use proper grammar.

the autocorrect made it so I cannot spell becuase , it always auto corrects it to "because" and I have become very accustomed to typing it as becuase. But if it works for you, it works for you! :thumbs:

I try to use proper grammer, but I have come to the point where I really don't care so I don't put extra effort into it.

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:13:25 PM »
Is it an education issue, or is there a different reason why so many people can't figure this out?

Part of the problem is that it spelling and grammar skills are apparently not required to advance through the educational system.  This has nothing to do with homosexuality or tolerance (maybe schools are different in Utah?) but indicates a general lack of interest on the part of the parents and students, as well as the school system.  Another problem is failure to speak clearly.  It seems like half the kids (and maybe 1/5 of the adults) who come in looking for parts honestly believe that they are driving a Toya Acoma.  They don't move their jaws or lips when they speak.  When they type, they type the way they speak.  The informality of the internet allows and sometimes even encourages the problem.  Society does not demand competence or clarity from them.  They are the walking dead.  These are the same people who have an uncle who is in and out of gel, or who are about to fell their math class.

"Yehhuhhh, heyuhh...kayso...I gohha nieynie Toya Acoma, um threepoitforleer...ummm howmush izza warr pum, umm therr-stat, I neeha volla Toya red coolitt, uhhhm...an ummm...dyouheyes hallike, c'you gedlike, rims an stuff?"

:tantrum:  Dammit, boy, speak up!  I don't have all day to decipher that!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:34:39 PM »
:rofl: That's what I'm talking about  :rofl2: If the kid is on a third grade level he should be in the third grade and I don't care if he is 17 or not.  The schools need to teach the things they were put there to teach and not the stupid crap they keep wasting time on.  Utah isn't as bad as other places I've been but they still get bogged down by regulations and requirements...
'88 X-cab, V6

te51levin

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 130
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Grumpy, but pretty good at it
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 20, 2008, 10:44:50 PM »
If the kid is on a third grade level he should be in the third grade and I don't care if he is 17 or not.
Absolutely.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of ways for this not to happen.  But we both knew that already...

The schools need to teach the things they were put there to teach...
Yes, they do.  The fundamentals such as the use of language(s), math, science, history, etc cannot be ignored.  Art, music, and practical skills that not everyone has access to at home are also critical.

...and not the stupid crap they keep wasting time on.
This is another argument entirely, I feel, because it seems as though the school system has been asked to do the things that parents and families ought to be doing.  I'm talking about basic manners, moral and ethical values, decision-making skills, home and life skills, etc.  The schools should not have to teach kids that hurting other people is wrong, or instruct them in the finer points of fabric softener use; those can be done at home.

Anyway, we don't have any kids and I haven't been in school for many years, so I am simply going on what things look like from my outsider's perspective.  long story short, it seems as though an awful lot of parents aren't part of their kids' lives anymore, or vice versa.

:twocents:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:07:12 PM »
Nate will you sail me some parts. 

not as common, but it does happen.

Haven't we done that befroe  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:08:07 PM »
...talking about basic manners, moral and ethical values, decision-making skills, home and life skills, etc.  The schools should not have to teach kids that hurting other people is wrong, or instruct them in the finer points of fabric softener use; those can be done at home.
...and should be done at home

Anyway, we don't have any kids and I haven't been in school for many years, so I am simply going on what things look like from my outsider's perspective.  long story short, it seems as though an awful lot of parents aren't part of their kids' lives anymore, or vice versa.

:twocents:
You're right.  To me it appears as if the basic Family unit has been devalued to a point that it takes a back seat to keeping up with the Jones's.  
'88 X-cab, V6

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:21:43 PM »
I see the side of the homosexuality comment.  I've said for some time, and fully believe, that we've become a society of coddlers.  We have to worry so damn much about everybody's feelings that we can't even let our teachers tell the kids when they've done something wrong, and heaven forbid they get punished!  The parents will be up the school's asses so quick they won't know what hit em, and lest they want a multimillion dollar lawsuit on their hands they better publically announce that junior is infact a great student/child, despite spitting in the teacher's face and burning the neighbor's cats hair off.  Not to mention that parents can't spank their kids anymore  :shake:  Don't get me wrong, I think I got spanked WAAAAAAY more than I deserved growing up, but there are times when it's necessary!

Grow up america, take responsibility for your own actions, and if you have kids BE A GOOD DAMN ROLL MODEL!!
RIP KYOTA

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 20, 2008, 11:34:04 PM »
Maybe they're really just F#(&ing stupid and there is no hope for them.  I agree that a lot of the problems with our youth these days is the result of bad home structure.  So if some kid starts mouthing off at me for something stupid (depending on my mood that day) he just might get the A55 whoopin' his daddy should have given him.

I know while we raised our son I had to always remind him not to write like we speak because the tone can't be conveyed in writing as well as in language.  Of course, he gave me that look like,"what do you mean? It sounds good to me".  :headscratch:

I then explained to him about how even penmanship could make the difference in him being overlooked for something he may want in life (possibly a job or something else very important) because no one will take someone serious if it looks like a second grader wrote those words. It took him a while but he no sooner than later started to see the light and now takes pride in his efforts in this regard.  He's still not the best speller, always has been his weak point, but he has improved dramatically and grammatically and gives it his best.  The main thing is he tries.  :thumbs:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Apr 21, 2008, 01:15:19 AM »
"Yehhuhhh, heyuhh...kayso...I gohha nieynie Toya Acoma, um threepoitforleer...ummm howmush izza warr pum, umm therr-stat, I neeha volla Toya red coolitt, uhhhm...an ummm...dyouheyes hallike, c'you gedlike, rims an stuff?"

Yeah they didn't make a Tacoma in 1990, do you mean 1999? Ok it had the 3.4 Liter V6, I have the Water Pump and the Thermostat in stock for that vehicle. I have the red coolant, it is going for 14.95 per gallon right now, it just went up again, and the rims, no I don't have a source for them.  I would pay the same amount they would charge you, so I would recommend going to Les Schwab.
Glad to see I'm not the only one to get the brainlessfools (pun intended) :blah:

edit: for shits and giggles, quote your own post and then use the spell checker on it. :rofl:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Apr 21, 2008, 05:03:07 AM »
honestly believe that they are driving a Toya Acoma.   Dammit, boy, speak up!  I don't have all day to decipher that!

Is that a new model?  :hahaha:

jk
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #21 on: Apr 21, 2008, 07:20:22 AM »
edit: for shits and giggles, quote your own post and then use the spell checker on it. :rofl:
:funny:

I don't sell or sale, I just sail.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:11:35 AM »
well whether you sell,sale or sail...just put a sign in the sill so people know which you do.  :disturbed:  :rofl:

EarlKann

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 787
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Apr 21, 2008, 09:28:46 AM »
when I see that in peoples ads I  wanna :slap:

Then if you do call them on it they say, " You know what I meant"   :slap:

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Apr 21, 2008, 10:20:12 AM »

I blame texting and aol!  Both of those are teaching the young'ns to be lazy and that its ok to not spell worth a shiat....  I pride myself on at least half assed decent spelling...  :hahaha:

X2!!!...I got a text from my friend's 17 year old son who just picked up some parts from me for his dad...This is the text word for word:

"Peps let me no wut up wth pops parts gna b in da are in a bt"
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Apr 21, 2008, 10:31:17 AM »

As an older brother of a "texter" let me translate for you....

"Hello, Peps. Please let me know what is going on with Pop's parts. I am going to be in the area in a bit. Thanks!"

:biggthumpup:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #26 on: Apr 21, 2008, 11:44:09 AM »
:funny:

I don't sell or sale, I just sail.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: Apr 22, 2008, 09:08:02 AM »
X2!!!...I got a text from my friend's 17 year old son who just picked up some parts from me for his dad...This is the text word for word:

As an older brother of a "texter" let me translate for you....

"Hello, Peps. Please let me know what is going on with Pop's parts. I am going to be in the area in a bit. Thanks!"

:biggthumpup:

The problem is texting, it is teaching laziness now not only are they doing this in this type of format but they are talking this way. Soon it will take over the entire  printed and spoken language and we will not know what they are saying at all, and if it isn't that every other word is the same word like "you-know". I have to tell Co-Pilot "TRY ENGLISH!!!" or I'm not one of you buddies, you don't have to put "you know" after every other word. I'll sit there and count how many times he throws that in and then tell him to try again and this time leave out the "you knows" so that I might understand what the hell he's saying. He is actually very articulate but will talk down with his friends and then gets into the pattern and forgets who he's talking to. Drives me nuts when he does that. 

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Apr 22, 2008, 01:18:24 PM »
Anybody ever seen the movie, "Idiocracy"? That's what this all sounds like... :ack:

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Apr 22, 2008, 01:23:42 PM »
But Brondo has electrolytes, plants crave electrolytes