whats your Opinon

work great
20 (22%)
bends like the $ you paid for
48 (52.7%)
Junk don't do it
23 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: Harbor Frieght pipe bender  (Read 71707 times)

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Harbor Frieght pipe bender
« Reply #120 on: Mar 20, 2009, 12:50:33 PM »
:imwithstupid:
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

BigBs84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 349
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Mar 20, 2009, 01:08:58 PM »
You guys who are telling people to pack the tubing with sand..... have you done this yourself or just repeating a myth ? I would like to see some pics of tubing you bent with and without sand. I see people post this all the time, but have never seen anyone actually prove that it helps. Anyone got any first hand experience bending pipe with and without sand ? Any pics of both ?

I've bent a lot of pipe with the HF bender with no sand and without heating the pipe. It has always worked well for me without kinking . Seems like the sand myth would be a lot of trouble for nothing.
X2 I have yet to ever have a problem unless I go over a 90* bend. I would have to say the most important thing is to know where your seem is on the pipe before you start bending, I like to have the seem facing me and be just below the top of the die.
Build it wright-wind it tight
   High-N-Tight offroad
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45027.0 My truggy build

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: Mar 20, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »
Sand in the tube isn't a myth at all, it was an actual practice long ago.  You can actually bend tube and pipe w/o a bender, just sand, a jig, and of course enough leverage.

Yes I have tried it both w/sand and w/o, and the w/o sand the tube kinked horribly.  When I started my flatbed I used sand, since that is how my Dad and I bent water pipe a long time ago, w/o a bender.  Knowing that the HF bender wasn't a really meant for pipe, I figured I would use sand to start with.  After seeing how well I could get a 90* bend w/sand and the HF bender, I figured I would try it w/o sand, and the results were horrible.  I had about 7 large ripples across the inside of the 90* bend.

If you are using pipe you don't need the sand, but you do w/mild tube. 

Also I have found w/the heavier walled tube you don't need to cap/weld the ends, I just a layer or two of duct tape over the ends and one layer around the each end.

I have a piece of exhaust tube I tried to bend w/o sand I will have to dig up and take a pic of.  I will post a pic of it Monday, when I get back from snow wheeling/camping trip.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: Mar 21, 2009, 05:45:28 PM »

If you are using pipe you don't need the sand, but you do w/mild tube. 

This is a pipe bender with pipe size dies. If you bend something besides pipe with a pipe  die, expect it to not work correctly. Mine makes a nice bend with the  sch 40 pipe that it was designed for without using sand.

I get what your saying about the sand, but don't blame the bender because you used the wrong size tubing.

Also thinner wall will kink easier. I have a JD2 bender with a 1.750 die , 5.5" radius and if I bend 1.750 .093 wall (exhaust tube) with it it will have ripples in the bend. Bends 1.75 .120 wall perfectly though.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: Mar 23, 2009, 11:42:46 PM »
Piece of :pokinit: like most everything Harbor freight sells. Its like the Trail-gear of tools. Junk :twocents:

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: Mar 24, 2009, 12:22:03 AM »

This is a pipe bender with pipe size dies. If you bend something besides pipe with a pipe  die, expect it to not work correctly. Mine makes a nice bend with the  sch 40 pipe that it was designed for without using sand.

I get what your saying about the sand, but don't blame the bender because you used the wrong size tubing.

Also thinner wall will kink easier. I have a JD2 bender with a 1.750 die , 5.5" radius and if I bend 1.750 .093 wall (exhaust tube) with it it will have ripples in the bend. Bends 1.75 .120 wall perfectly though.
yes the jd2 bender is not made for thin wall tube.... if I remember right .095 is the thinnest the jd2 is made for.... I have had a couple jd2 benders now and love them to death!
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

BigBs84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: Mar 24, 2009, 07:52:33 AM »
here is one I am working on, just to show you that you can do some good work with the HF bender and opinions are like a$$holes everybodys got one  :shakehead:
   High-N-Tight offroad

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:02:33 PM »

You don't need to use sand when bending pipe w/a pipe bender, just as you don't need to use sand when bending tube w/a tube bender, however if you want to bend the tube using a pipe bender you need to use sand to reduce the amount of deformation and rippling you get w/o sand, as well as the right size tube for the die, i.e. 1-5/8" tube for the 1-1/2" pipe die.  You could also have the smaller pipe die machined to accept a the tube diameter you are using.

I am not blaming the HF bender, I knew going in that it wasn't intended to bend tube, but given the ridiculous amount of money the local 4x4 shops wanted to bend the tube($475+ and I already had a jig for my bends) and the local muffler shops wanted $10-15/bend, the HF bender was the cheapest route.  Besides I figured if it didn't work I would just return it and pay the muffler shop.  It will actually do a good job providing you take your time and don't get in a hurry.

Here is my results w/the HF bender
Flatbed cage and Bumper/brush guard

What happens w/o Sand and exhaust tube:
It looks a little better than it did.  I tried to salvage it by cutting out the ripples and welding in new material, since it was going to be used for inter cooler pipes and not exhaust.  Even w/sand and heat the bend didn't turn out smooth enough for IC piping, so I went ahead and used pre-bent mandrel pieces instead.  Either piece would have turned out O.K. for exhaust, just not that pretty to look at.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #128 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:22:33 PM »
wow thats a crazy  flat bed    your rear tire carrier is close to what i wanna do but with a stock bed.
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:00:47 PM »
Here are some more pics.

The Safari rack also tilts up for better access to the bed when loading/covering camping gear.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2009, 01:58:00 AM by Snowtoy »

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:40:18 PM »
That, I must say, is a very sweet bed. :thumbs: I wish I had enough time etc to do something similar. I like it a lot.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:24:40 AM »
Thanks.  The main bed was built in 2 different stages, and over about 7months(winter/spring project).  The truck was a project rig from the start, and took about 2yrs to build/restore, so I didn't have to worry about having to complete something over a weekend, or get something done in time to go wheeling.  I still have plans for an exo-cage and an SAS, whenever I get around to them.

BigBs84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Apr 21, 2009, 09:27:53 AM »
My latest and greatest HF work yet
   High-N-Tight offroad

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Apr 21, 2009, 04:40:32 PM »
more pics please

DTPROFAB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 107
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Apr 22, 2009, 03:00:15 AM »
spent the money and get good dies all of these bends are flattening the material in the radius and it looks horrible i have seen plenty of good projecs with good design turn out bad because the radius looks horrid in cheap dies
libo beer and bullets 0331
STI-dd....81 toy putting in a 5vz-fe

BigBs84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
   High-N-Tight offroad

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:19:10 PM »
Alright fellers...the long disputed HF bender debate continues!!
I own one myself, and have had a blast fabbing up stuff for my truck... heres my rollbar, spare carrier, and bumper all done with the "kinker" and pipe.

Everyone here should take a look at this thread...
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=747186
Pay attention to posts 119 and 224...particularly, just hear out what 45ACP has to say..
I was nearly convinced that i would never be able to produce anything structurally worthy with the HF bender until i read through a ton of valid points in that thread  :beerchug:

Twisted

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 141
  • Male Posts: 287
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:24:01 PM »
Hey where has your truck been, havent seen it at city since the break.

82juguete

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Apr 23, 2009, 10:45:24 PM »
Yea...about that....

Literally broke down the day before break, so I had a buddy come load me up on his trailer and take me home.

Drained the oil in the morning only to to spill about 3 gallons of coolant on the driveway before the oil finally came out...  :yikes: not a fun discovery.
Pulled the motor apart expecting to find a hole in the timing cover...but no dice.
Im thinking the head gasket blew out.

Anyway, I had the original motor as a spare and its now at the machine shop getting bored, honed, decked, tanked, the works.  Im doing the whole engnbldr rebuild, so it should be great when its all said and done. 

Long story short...you wont be seeing my truck the rest of the semester bro..Now im rollin in the OD green falcon convertible...

hilux-1983

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,271
  • Member since Apr '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:20 PM »
Look what I just got, and it was on sale for $89.95.:yikes:!

Look what I've done with it so far.....

I really like the tip on leaving the tubing out in the sun. I practice with one from the shade and from the sun. Hot tubing bends a whole lot better. Thanks for the tip.
I'm gonna make a frame to put canvas over. Like a good ol fashioned wagon top, Yee-Haw!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 09:49:56 AM by hilux-1983 »
DD, 22R, L52HD, 35"s, All pro/Marlin Hysteer, 529's, Aussie Locker in rear only. 5" All Pro springs and 5" shackles. Just purpose built and dependable. A/C blows like ice too... www.4x4HIM.org

ROCK CRUSHER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 469
  • Member since Mar '06
  • um!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Jun 20, 2009, 03:31:17 PM »
if you have a cornwell tool dealer near you, you could finance one through them. they can get one thats air over hyro its the one im useing for my crawler
move or I will run your ass over

MudSlinginYota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Sep 14, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »
how about this.
have seen a formula toy made with one... i think it was this one. looked just like it anyway
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7826_7826
1986 toyota 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61257.0
1997 dodge ram 4x4 (for sale)

69 cruiser

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Mar '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Sep 25, 2010, 09:09:17 AM »
Ok, so UnlcleJPL4x4.... did you ever bye a HF bender and if so what is your opinion?
You got to build it to own it

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 618
  • Member since Dec '09
  • Swap, Lock, and Rock it
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #143 on: Sep 25, 2010, 03:37:57 PM »
just got me a 12 ton HF bender. trying to do all the research i can on what is the best material for the bender and for a nice bumper on my truck. if i go pipe what is a good pipe to get. if tube  what tubing?  i'd like 1.5" OD
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7
Dana 60 Rear; Danna 44 front; 5.89’s
249:1

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: Sep 25, 2010, 05:10:54 PM »
You will have to use 1-5/" tube in the 1.5" die, to keep the bends relatively tight.  The heavier the wall tube, the better the bends, avoid anything thinner than .125 wall tube.

unclejpl4x4 [OP]

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #145 on: Sep 25, 2010, 06:15:00 PM »
Ok, so UnlcleJPL4x4.... did you ever bye a HF bender and if so what is your opinion?

I never did  plans change and so on......

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #146 on: Sep 25, 2010, 06:21:45 PM »
You will have to use 1-5/" tube in the 1.5" die, to keep the bends relatively tight.  The heavier the wall tube, the better the bends, avoid anything thinner than .125 wall tube.

ok thanks. were you trying to say 1-5/8'' tube in the 1.5'' die?
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Sep 26, 2010, 12:49:03 AM »
Yes, 1-5/8" for the 1.5" die.  Most of the small steel sales fab shops don't have the 1-5/8" tube in stock, but they should be able to order you some.  Since pipe is measured by the inside diameter and tube is measured by the outside diameter, you have to match the tube the actual size of the die, and not the stamped size on the die.

<MIKE>

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #148 on: Sep 26, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
ok that makes sense to me. Are there any other sizes of tube that fit in any other of the dies ok? has anyone done 1.5" tube in the 1.25 or 1" dies?
1987 4runner
Dual cases, 2.28-4.7

yota4x4sc

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 596
  • Member since Oct '10
  • Santa Cruz, CA
    • View Profile
    • My YOTA Pics (click here)
« Reply #149 on: Oct 08, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
if u actually get the right size pipe for the bender from harbor f they bend ok.. just barely ok...only up to about 90 deg
:usa: 92 xcab, full width, 39.5 boggers, beadlocks, 60 f arb 5.86s , 60 r spool , duals, 4.7 rear... 3.sl0, bobed , all pro 6 inch leafs f and r :usa: