Author Topic: ALL TOYOTA OWNERS!  (Read 13604 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
ALL TOYOTA OWNERS!
« on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
I have 2 friends that have been hit in 1 week in my area, and another person I know (friend of a friend) got his Tundra hit the other night.  These Catalytic converter thieves don't care if you have an old lifted rock crawler, a Tacoma, Tundra, whatever. 

This cannot be stressed enough.  If you have a home security system (camera), train it on your rig. Sacramento County is being hit bad right now!  Not sure how bad it is elseware, but it's getting worse and fast!

If you own a Toyota, they're after your cat.  If you have a garage, a back yard, an enclosed area - USE IT!!
« Last Edit: Jun 27, 2019, 04:29:58 PM by *FFC* »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Doof

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Male Posts: 3,205
  • Member since Apr '07
  • establised summer of 89
    • View Profile
Re: ALL TOYOTA OWNERS!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:07:38 AM »
whats so special about the cat that they are being ripped off?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:13:58 AM »
toy cats have a higher amount of precious metals than most other automakers and often they are more easily accessible because of the height of the trucks....

I know Toyminator just sold 2 cats on ebay (rusted, useless ones) from an fj for 200 bucks :yikes:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:16:00 AM »

Apparently Toyota catalytic converters are in high demand due to the higher levels of mercury (?) used in them.  I think it's Mercury anyway - DTB is right - precious metals.

Alright, it's platinum - I"m a dork :)

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2008, 10:29:35 AM by FordFreakChik »
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:17:56 AM »
mostly platinum, rhodium and palladium...

prices have skyrocketed lately
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:20:14 AM »
The catalytic converter consists of several components:

The core, or substrate. In modern catalytic converters, this is most often a ceramic honeycomb, however stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used. The purpose of the core is to "support the catalyst" and therefore it is often called a "catalyst support". The ceramic substrate was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.

The washcoat. In an effort to make converters more efficient, a washcoat is utilized, most often a mixture of silica and alumina. The washcoat, when added to the core, forms a rough, irregular surface which has a far greater surface area than the flat core surfaces, which is desirable to give the converter core a larger surface area, and therefore more places for active precious metal sites. The catalyst is added to the washcoat (in suspension) before application to the core.

The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, though each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide). While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »
The catalytic converter consists of several components:

The core, or substrate. In modern catalytic converters, this is most often a ceramic honeycomb, however stainless steel foil honeycombs are also used. The purpose of the core is to "support the catalyst" and therefore it is often called a "catalyst support". The ceramic substrate was invented by Rodney Bagley, Irwin Lachman and Ronald Lewis at Corning Glass for which they were inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2002.

The washcoat. In an effort to make converters more efficient, a washcoat is utilized, most often a mixture of silica and alumina. The washcoat, when added to the core, forms a rough, irregular surface which has a far greater surface area than the flat core surfaces, which is desirable to give the converter core a larger surface area, and therefore more places for active precious metal sites. The catalyst is added to the washcoat (in suspension) before application to the core.

The catalyst itself is most often a precious metal. Platinum is the most active catalyst and is widely used. However, it is not suitable for all applications because of unwanted additional reactions and/or cost. Palladium and rhodium are two other precious metals that are used. Platinum and rhodium are used as a reduction catalyst, while platinum and palladium are used as an oxidization catalyst. Cerium, iron, manganese and nickel are also used, though each has its own limitations. Nickel is not legal for use in the European Union (due to reaction with carbon monoxide). While copper can be used, its use is illegal in North America due to the formation of dioxin.
thanks Mr. Wiki :rofl:
RIP KYOTA

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:33:24 AM »
thanks Mr. Wiki :rofl:
Any time!
Remember, your brain is a big as the internet!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:36:47 AM »
Any time!
Remember, your brain is a big as the internet!
thats scary......I've been to the end of the internet..didnt take long  :hahaha:
RIP KYOTA

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2008, 10:46:15 AM »
thats scary......I've been to the end of the internet..didnt take long  :hahaha:
http://www.endoftheinternet.com/
Me too, I'm reviewing everything I've seen for the 5th time.

After you have seen everything on the internet, start over here: http://merkey.net/beginning/

Chris S

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Aug '08
  • lift em high fat chick cant jump
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2009, 05:15:22 PM »
man thats y i like line in canada there arnt many toys here so there rare to find

sailsdan30

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2011, 05:18:59 PM »
seriously , we need to stop this . bunch of bull crap! mine is gone as well .

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 306
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
I had a guy once trying to break in to my car, and when I caught him, I beat the crap out of him.  By the time the cops pulled me off, he was bleeding like a little B*!@CH.  If I ever see anyone mess with another persons car, I have no problem whoopin' their a$$.  I used to have an alarm on an old car of mine, where when the alarm was set, they would get shocked if they touched the car.  I wonder if the same idea could work on this. :muscles:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 759
  • Male Posts: 13,855
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2012, 06:46:55 PM »
 :nonono: Note to stupid self, when man gets out of 4Runner, goes into the store, is in uniform with a radio attached to his belt it is not advisable to slide under his rig and try to cut off his Cat in broad daylight. Bad days are in your future!  Buh, bye dumbass. Got his buddy lookout too. I was told they were pretty quick in jumping under his rig he noticed them slide under even before he was inside the store, sucked for him when we have a direct line to the station. :shake:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #14 on: Aug 01, 2012, 03:04:43 PM »
some people amaze me glad you caught them though.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 02, 2012, 06:22:30 AM »
I agree with mudaddict. I am glad you caught them, and it is good to see people are not dealing with this crap anymore.  If you see someone messing with your things, beat the hell out of them, they deserve it.  :bash:

OTO Phil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2017, 12:29:27 AM »
I'd love to see the look on their face when they swing under a rig and can't find the cat haha.. scumbags deserve to rot

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2017, 01:37:30 AM »
I'd love to see the look on their face when they swing under a rig and can't find the cat haha.. scumbags deserve to rot

5 year old necro post ;)

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

OTO Phil

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2017, 12:24:56 AM »
5 year old necro post ;)
Holy crap you're right! It showed up in my Tapatalk feed, just figured it was recent 👍

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

HULK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2017, 07:37:43 PM »
Some assf**k tried to steal the cat from my truck but I heard him, so I went out and tied his ass up and delivered him to the police.  Funny when they asked me how they could help me and I replied, "There's a guy in the bed of my truck tied up."  Apparently the guy was also on parole, and had a bench warrant for missing court dates.  Oh Well.  Sucks to be him. :muscles: