Author Topic: Camping trip to the Highlakes this weekend 3/21-3/23(Pics added)  (Read 3319 times)

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
This is kind of last minute, but it we didnt have definate plans until this evening.  Myself, Rockyoat and 92crawler(with some others maybe)are heading up to the High Lakes this weekend for snow wheeling and camping.  We will be leaving Friday afternoon around 1-2pm(if we are on time), and return Sunday morning.  Our rigs range from IFS Toy w/33's to a Rover on unimogs w/42's.  Anyone that would like to go and can get ready by Friday let me know.  We do have some other rigs that will be commig up Sat.(84Rocktoy?), some will stay others will head back Saturday evening/late afternoon.
« Last Edit: Mar 26, 2008, 10:28:35 PM by Snowtoy »
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Thomas P

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
damn that rover sonds sick, where exactly are you guys camping? i may go for a ride this weekend
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
The Rover is pretty awsome, though a bit high for my tastes.  I would post a picture of it in action from our Rubicon trip, but it basically turned the Rubicon into a fire road. :laugh:

As to where we are going to camp, it kind of depends on conditions of the trail, and when we actually leave Chico on Friday.  We usually try for Spring Valley or the "T", but since we  may have to head back Sat morning to meet other rigs we will likely camp somewhere closer to the Philbrook area.  The Rover is grey with stickers on it, then there is a white Tacoma X-cab and a white '91 X-cab w/grey flat bed, we usually run on channel 32.

84rocktoy is coming up Saturday, he has an orange exo'd 83 now, running on 39's or 40's.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
where is everyone from? a bunch of us magalia and paradise guys may roll
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Rockyoat, 92crawler, and 84Rocktoy are all from Chico, I use to live there but now I live over near Grass Valley.  Here is the Pirate link http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8035393#post8035393, let Pat know if you are wanting to come up with us on Friday.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008, 05:26:54 PM by Snowtoy »

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Here are some pics, nothing like Little Buddy's trips, but we still had fun. 

As slushy/icy it was, there wasn't a lot of action shots to be taken, just a lot of holes to be found.  At our campsite there was about a 10'-12' base
Here is one at the turn-off.

The Rover Towing the Tacoma slushy uphill climb.

My '91 waiting for the others to catch up.

Group shot after climbing a hill.

The Tacoma towing the Rover(yes the 42's got stuck once)

Our toasty campfire.  It was hot enough that all that was needed was shorts and a sweat shirt to be comfy.

Al in all it was a pretty good outing, it was slushy in the afternoon, but not too much trouble, and at night everything was frozen solid making it easy to go fast enough to break things

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
looks like fun!! check out the road signs on the right of the pic, dayum the rover has some nice clearance with those axles  :love:
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Thomas P

• Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
too bad i had an anniversary party to got to
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile

Yes it does have a lot of ground clearance, but all that clearance makes for a scary ride on of camber sections.  Here is one of him going through a corner(we dubbed pucker corner years ago).
  The snow always seems to be bad on this corner most of the season, especially during the spring.  In the past it has actually been so bad that we have cut a trench on the uphill side to level out the rigs, and to keep them from sliding.  His uphill tires were just barely on the snow, I think if it had a steel body instead of aluminum he would have been into the tree.

We may be heading back up in April, it really depends on the snowfall between now and then, and whether or not Pat tears the Rover apart.  The PO didn't do a good job/or who ever he paid when putting the unimogs under it, the panhard bar broke off during a night run, or even maybe on the way in, it wasn't noticed until Sat. morning.  Then of course there is the whole British engineering/electronic issue.  He is considering swapping the axles over to a S10 blazer, or maybe a 3rd gen runner(if he can find a wrecked one), He wants to build something that is at least streetable, so he doesn't have to trailer it for short trips, and that sits lower than it does now.

jrock

• Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile

kiyul4130

• Brown Star Award
  • Turtle Points: 279
  • Male Posts: 3,265
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Turdburgalin since 1985
    • View Profile
i didnt know pat owned a new rig till today. thanks for the pictures.
-kiyul-
92 1 ton ex cab, marlin dual ultimates, 42 iroks, hydro assist, flat bellied, linked and more...
ECV 7-11

KYOTA FOREVER

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,338
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
he had it at the round up
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Snowtoy [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
i didnt know pat owned a new rig till today. thanks for the pictures.

Yep, he has a new one again, I think this is his 6th rig in the last 8yrs :yikes:, he will soon be on his tenth.  He traded his '96 Runner straight across for the Rover right after the Labor Day weekend trip last August.  It was all grey before he rolled it Oct., just after the Roundup.