Author Topic: 94 22RE Issues  (Read 1888 times)

flatbedtoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 69
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
94 22RE Issues
« on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
 I've just completed swapping a 94 2wd pickup cab, 22re and wiring onto an 86 4wd drive pickup chassis. Everything has gone great except for one thing. The high idle will not cut out when the truck has warmed up. Second, after the truck has warmed up and I mash the brake pedal, the engine lopes. I let off the brake pedal and its fine again.The engine runs great, plenty of power. The 94 2wd truck ran perfectly before the swap. I've swapped out the check valve between the manifold and the brake booster, no effect, I've also gone back and checked the torque on the intake and plenum bolts. All were fine. All vacuum lines are in good order and in their proper place. Engine timing and valve adjustment are good. Anyone got any ideas?  :headscratch:

94 4wd pickup, SAS
95 2wd pickup
06 4wd 4 Runner SR-5

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
Re: 94 22RE Issues
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:55:58 PM »
make sure that the coolant lines that go from beside the thermostat housing to the bottom of the throttle body and from the TB to the coolant pipe below the intake are connected AND getting coolant flow. If the valve does not get any heated water, it will not close off the high-idle air flow. I had the same problem, and I found an "ooze" worm of RTV lodged in the barb fitting beside the thermo housing. Obviously the PO used too much RTV somewhere in the engine and it squeezed into the water jacket somewhere and broke off, and that was where it stopped.

Also, I found a vacuum leak at the joint between the EGR valve and the intake manifold (the compression joint). The nut would not tighten enough to seal. If you want to check for this, un-bolt the connection from the rear of the intake manifold, remove the gasket and press a penny into the center hole of the gasket. put the gasket back in and bolt the tube back to the manifold.(the penny will block ALL flow from EGR system) If the idle drops, I would check the entire EGR system starting with the compression joint right below that connection to the rear of the manifold.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

flatbedtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »
Great advise, Thanks!   :beer:
94 4wd pickup, SAS
95 2wd pickup
06 4wd 4 Runner SR-5

flatbedtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 03:56:49 PM »
93tonkatoy,
 Good call on the egr compression joint, I got another full turn out of it. Also my coolant was about a quart and a half low. I must be slippin in my old age!  :headshake: My baby runs like a top now! Thanks again.  :beerchug:
94 4wd pickup, SAS
95 2wd pickup
06 4wd 4 Runner SR-5

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
 :thumbs: Glad I could point in the right direction! Good to know that all my head banging and :tantrum: was for a good cause.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

96 OH Taco

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 18
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:45:19 PM »
Mine did the same thing today. It was also low on coolant and was sucking air around the gasket on the egr to intake surface. What a quinkidink!  :clap:

flatbedtoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2008, 06:05:48 AM »
Talk about learn something new everyday, I've installed several 22re's and have never encouter a problem like that before. I figured it was something simple that I was overlooking. That's what I get for rushing!  :smack:
94 4wd pickup, SAS
95 2wd pickup
06 4wd 4 Runner SR-5