Author Topic: I thought it was required when you join...  (Read 6514 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
I thought it was required when you join...
« on: Mar 13, 2008, 11:31:50 PM »
That your FIRST thread be in the new member section?  I seem to remember reading that when I first joined the site, but in the last couple months it seems like atleast 5 people join a week and make their first post in the classifieds. 

Maybe I'm alone in thinking they should make an effort to atleast appear to be a contributing member BEFORE trying to hock their wares, but I don't think I'm the only one  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
Re: I thought it was required when you join...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2008, 11:37:22 PM »
Agreed. PM Big Mike. :dunno:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2008, 11:48:14 PM »
I thought you had to post X number of times before you could start a new topic in the classifieds?  :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2008, 11:55:40 PM »
I'd pm mike, but I have to think he has his reasons for allowing people to post wherever they want when they join.  Maybe I should just stop being the main one who asks/tells them to introduce themselves first, but it just kinda gets under my skin.  I've joined boards with the partial intent to sell parts, but I've always introduced myself and made that fact known.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:01:02 AM »
I'd pm mike, but I have to think he has his reasons for allowing people to post wherever they want when they join.  Maybe I should just stop being the main one who asks/tells them to introduce themselves first, but it just kinda gets under my skin.  I've joined boards with the partial intent to sell parts, but I've always introduced myself and made that fact known.

Nah, you're doing a good job :hahaha:  I'd do it too, but I usually don't go to the sale section.  Nothing that I need that I want to buy right now, and if I look, I get antsy, and I spend money that I shouldn't.  :gap: 

I really coulda sworn that this was addressed before, kinda like you can't post pics until you post a certain # of times.  :dunno:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »
I almost think some people say something to them first in hopes that I don't  :haha:

We'll see if mike sees this tomorrow and cares to comment.
RIP KYOTA

NT-OUTBACK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:19:24 AM »
The way I look at it someone could introduce themselves and still rip someone off.  There's been instances of paying venders on other boards ripping customers off.

A simple introduction does not alleviate ones responsibility as a buyer to ask questions, get phone number, get pictures, inquire about shipping, guarantees, insurance etc to feel more secure in a transaction.

My problem with the classifieds is old ads that are bumped by people who still think an item listed 3 years ago is for sale. The classifieds sections need a major house cleaning along with the stolen vehicle section.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:29:46 AM »
The way I look at it someone could introduce themselves and still rip someone off.  There's been instances of paying venders on other boards ripping customers off.

A simple introduction does not alleviate ones responsibility as a buyer to ask questions, get phone number, get pictures, inquire about shipping, guarantees, insurance etc to feel more secure in a transaction.

My problem with the classifieds is old ads that are bumped by people who still think an item listed 3 years ago is for sale. The classifieds sections need a major house cleaning along with the stolen vehicle section.

True, but the more someone is on here, the more you get to know them.  It benefits both the buyer and seller.  I would be reluctant to buy from someone I don't even know, whereas with kneedownnate, I'd buy from him in a heart beat, because I've seen him on here enough, and have gotten to know him (as well as you can for never meeting the person :gap: )

Its also kind of a give and take.  If you justh op on to post an ad, and then dissapear, you've brought nothing to the table.  you post in tech, introduce yourself, even post in chitchat, you build friendships, get new wheeing buddies, others get a wheeling buddy, you give and gain information, and a lot more people benefit.  To me its an abuse of the service Marlincrawler provides if you treat his website and his forum as nothing more than a classifieds as.  Mabye its just me though :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
Ha i so have been telling qutie a few to post up in the newb area, just cause i saw you gettin a little unhappy about doing it. Most of them say they are from pirate, but still not all of us are there either
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2008, 01:16:10 AM »
should just add another sticky to the top of the classifieds that has post here if you are new first, not post your junk for sale when no one knows you
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:06:55 AM »
  I've joined boards with the partial intent to sell parts, but I've always introduced myself and made that fact known.
  :ha_ha: :ha_ha: tell it like it is.       

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2008, 05:26:45 AM »
Mike changed the requirement for selling items, they don't need a minimum of posts and while you do still need a minimum to post a picture you can link one at any time.
I think people think because they are a regular on another board, like pirate and/or have been watching the marlin board for a while before signing up they don't feel like they are newbs. I agree they should be introducing themselves first though.
I'll give Mike a heads-up about this thread and see what he has to say.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2008, 07:45:08 AM »
I'd just be real careful when buying something on the internet, no matter who it is.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:34:33 AM »
There was a thread about this but I couldn't find it. I recommend that when someone signs up they should be redirected to the newbe video & their first post will be their intro  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:46:59 AM »
Yeah it WAS talked about and someone dropped the ball.

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:01:02 AM »
I absolutly agree with introducing yourself first as opposed to just signing up to hawk your wares.
I like to Drive!

Hammerhead

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 564
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Junkyard Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:45:29 AM »
"Hi, my name is Charlie Wenzel and I'm a loser.  ...buy my junk..."  :rofl:
'82 pickup, +3, locked, doubled
'82 pickup, IFS long travel, V8
'85 4runner, V8 rock crawler
'88 X-cab, V6

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
i used  to do my best to keep it cleaned  up,  after a  part was sold i deleted the thread,  but  apparently  people felt  i was  doing  the job  too well  and  i no longer have control  over that area

:headshake:

there was a good bit of E-drama  a few months ago,  that i tried to stay out of  but it got out of hand,  but  since i no longer can work ( and  anyone with more than 50 posts here  should know why )   90% of my time is spent here  on Marlincrawler.com   where as  other moderators  have jobs, school,  LIFE. they  don't really have the time  to sit at the computer all day

:down:  ok  I'm depressed now  :down:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2008, 10:02:25 AM »
 :therethere:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2008, 12:00:33 PM »
GIVE GLEN HIS POWER BACK!!!  :tantrum: :inthedark: :bat: :grr: :whip: :soapbox:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
To me its an abuse of the service Marlincrawler provides if you treat his website and his forum as nothing more than a classifieds as.  Mabye its just me though :dunno:

Exacree  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »

Tell me how it needs a "major house cleaning" and ill fix it.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:40:32 PM »
i used  to do my best to keep it cleaned  up,  after a  part was sold i deleted the thread,  but  apparently  people felt  i was  doing  the job  too well  and  i no longer have control  over that area

:headshake:

there was a good bit of E-drama  a few months ago,  that i tried to stay out of  but it got out of hand,  but  since i no longer can work ( and  anyone with more than 50 posts here  should know why )   90% of my time is spent here  on Marlincrawler.com   where as  other moderators  have jobs, school,  LIFE. they  don't really have the time  to sit at the computer all day

:down:  ok  I'm depressed now  :down:

Glen there may be some boards u dont do but the for sale rig gallery and all the ones im in still get a good amount of my attention.

I dont know what I am doing "wrong"

Partially the only reason I even get on here is to check out the boards. The reason I do not delete the posts that are old is that they dont say to but i guess I will since people are complaining.

GET IT!!!

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Mar 14, 2008, 08:46:01 PM »
"Hi, my name is Charlie Wenzel and I'm a loser.  ...buy my junk..."  :rofl:

OMG :rofl: :rofl2:

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Mar 14, 2008, 09:13:42 PM »
Now that I think about it, I was not prompted to make my first post in the noob area. In fact, I had no idea we had a noob area until I had around 20 posts, and I did not post in it until I had 40 some posts. I think it would be a good idea to have them check in first. :thumbs:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Mar 14, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Glen there may be some boards u dont do but the for sale rig gallery and all the ones im in still get a good amount of my attention.

I dont know what I am doing "wrong"

Partially the only reason I even get on here is to check out the boards. The reason I do not delete the posts that are old is that they dont say to but i guess I will since people are complaining.

:therethere:  I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I can see the dilemma, you don't want to delete a thread when someone is still selling something, but it sure is a PITA when some new guy asks if something is for sale, and pulls the thread back from when it died in oh, say 2004.  :hahaha: 

Do you know if there is a way that the section can be set so the threads are automatically deleted if they are inactive for say, 90 days, 6 mos. whatever?  :dunno:  That way it could automatically weed out the stuff that is either gone and the seller forgot to delete the thread, or the seller no longer frequents the board. 

-Ronald Reagan

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2008, 01:13:56 AM »
:therethere:  I don't think you're doing anything wrong.  I can see the dilemma, you don't want to delete a thread when someone is still selling something, but it sure is a PITA when some new guy asks if something is for sale, and pulls the thread back from when it died in oh, say 2004.  :hahaha: 

Do you know if there is a way that the section can be set so the threads are automatically deleted if they are inactive for say, 90 days, 6 mos. whatever?  :dunno:  That way it could automatically weed out the stuff that is either gone and the seller forgot to delete the thread, or the seller no longer frequents the board. 

Do I know... No.....

Does Bigmike or Cruzilla know.. Possibly. I dont know. I was going to bring it up in the moderator forum but since everyone is complaining I will anyway and just see that even though it may not say please delete or something along those lines I will just delete.

Personally when I see something thats 3 years old or older that says stuff for sale blah blah and some ididot posts in 2008 like yah i want to delete it but since I am not the author of the thread and since it does not say please delete it gets me in a bind like, what do i do and personally my choice is not delete it since it doesnt say to and I am not the author. So for everone that thinks I am "not doing my job" you really gotta think that what im doing may be more if the right thing. Even if the person is not an active member the part/parts may not be sold so it seriously is like, what do i do.

GET IT!!!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:30:23 AM »
Do I know... No.....

Does Bigmike or Cruzilla know.. Possibly. I dont know. I was going to bring it up in the moderator forum but since everyone is complaining I will anyway and just see that even though it may not say please delete or something along those lines I will just delete.

Personally when I see something thats 3 years old or older that says stuff for sale blah blah and some ididot posts in 2008 like yah i want to delete it but since I am not the author of the thread and since it does not say please delete it gets me in a bind like, what do i do and personally my choice is not delete it since it doesnt say to and I am not the author. So for everone that thinks I am "not doing my job" you really gotta think that what im doing may be more if the right thing. Even if the person is not an active member the part/parts may not be sold so it seriously is like, what do i do.

:yesnod:  I completely understand your situation.  Thats why I was wondering if you could set an existence time limit.  It would make it easier for you, because then you wouldn't have to decide what goes and stays. 
« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2008, 08:52:16 AM by BLACKDOG »

-Ronald Reagan

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:51:40 AM »
GIVE GLEN HIS POWER BACK!!!  :tantrum: :inthedark: :bat: :grr: :whip: :soapbox:
hey lil buddy, i was just messing around. i didnt mean to piss you off man. :beerchug:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #29 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:38:06 AM »
Do I know... No.....

Chris  i didnt  intend  to  say  you "werent doing your job"   just that  you have a job  and school  and so does Blue,    and since my health took a  crap  i havent been  doing much BUT  be on the Marlin board.

:therethere:  i didnt mean to offend you at all

Personally when I see something thats 3 years old or older that says stuff for sale blah blah and some ididot posts in 2008 like yah i want to delete it but since I am not the author of the thread and since it does not say please delete it gets me in a bind like, what do i do and personally my choice is not delete it since it doesnt say to and I am not the author.

if  you run across any old thread of mine i failed to delete,  delete that sucker,  
if its been over a couple months  its either sold  or forgotten about  :thumbs:

as for others  if  its  a  OLD  thread,  i say  either  move it to "offensive posts"  so  IF  the author complains  we can move it back

or  change the  subject  to "Whatever dude had for sale...DEAD THREAD"
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way