Author Topic: length of shocks for a 87 4runner with a 3inch lift  (Read 1964 times)

Aaronm

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
length of shocks for a 87 4runner with a 3inch lift
« on: Mar 01, 2008, 10:03:12 PM »
I just aquired a 3 inch lift for my stock 87 runner with IFS. I do not have the shocks with the lift so I need to figure out what length to buy. When I checked at Pep BOys and Kragen they could not help as usual. (if the computer does not tell them they have no clue). I also need some ideas of shock that will ride nice and can be off roaded. I have never had any luck with Rancho, they have ripped mounts and bent mounts when they were used moderately. Thanks for the help.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

RCKSQRL

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 588
  • Member since Oct '02
  • Viva La Yota!
    • View Profile
front or rear? how do you plan to drive it?
'85 EFI Runner
4.3 with 700R4- for sale
5.29 detroit F/R
Front 3 Link with air shocks
rear 4 Link
Custom Fuel cell
Crawler #719, rear with 4.70 # 677,
Twin stick
Skys manufacturing T-case crossmember

6 point cage modified with harness bar, dash bar and PRP seats mounted to cage
2 feet chopped off the back

It seems it is never done........

in works for new body and exo, motor and trans swap...

eric hohlfelder

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I just dismantled my 85 4Runner that had Downey 3" springs.  I ran 10" Doestec rear shocks in the factory locations and they did ride nice and wheeled well.  If you want I can ship them to you for $30.  I think shipping will be about $20 based on a pair I just got from someone else.  Don't have any IFS front lift experience.       

Aaronm [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 164
  • Male Posts: 404
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
I need to figure out the length for the front and the rear. I don't have any of the shocks so I am starting some what from scratch.
What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response, were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
find a spot to flex out and bring your tape measure  :hammer:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Call a couple of companies that sell the 3" lifts.  I've got pro comps on mine, they work alright.   Not fanastic, but not too bad for the price.  4wp usually has a deal on them, but 3 get one free, or buy 4, get the steering stabilizer free :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent