Author Topic: Secective intake design  (Read 5912 times)

hessiankid31

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -6
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Apr '04
  • "Chrome won't get you home!" PM Winston Churchil
    • View Profile
Secective intake design
« on: Jun 26, 2004, 05:38:28 PM »
I am a 4x4 newb and this is my first snorkel attempt. I've been running KN Gen2 FIPKs on both my Toys for some time. I really liked the extra ponies this intake frees up, especially on my 91 trail rig, which has exh. header and straight 2.75" pipes(no cat). I was concerned about hydro- lock, however. I went with a Safari for my 01 Taco, but I wanted something more versatile for the 91. I  reinstalled the factory air box and briefly ran a homemade version of the Safari on the 91, but I noticed an immediate drop in power and put the KN back on. I wanted a setup that would let me keep my HP gains and prevent me from getting water in my intake. I got the basic idea from some Top Truck rigs. Hopefully the pics are self-explanatory.  I used 2.5" x10' industrial carwash vacuum hose(made of tough palstic material,wrapped w/three layers of electrical and teflon tape) various silicone and PVC couplers/elbows, 2.5" id. alum short intake arm, 3" alum. adjustable stovepipe piece(thru engine comp. wall), various rubber plumbing collars and 2 KN cone filters, among other misc stuff. I scrapped the factory resonator and hoses. I know the design would be less vunerable if it was run thru the firewall, but I didn't want to spend the time rearranging things under the dash. I fabbed and welded a spade-shaped shield to the outer fender and another underneath, to protect the hose. It is fairly loud in the cab at full throttle, but not too bad. For street driving, I unhook the hose/alum elbow, plug the opening, clamp my spare cone filter on the VAF/TBI flange and off I go. I think any loss of throttle response caused by the long intake path is balanced by the much cooler air source. I don't notice any seat of the pants power drain. Tell me whatcha think. I can take it. I would welcome any constructive criticism. Thanks-Jeff in MANtana
Its not "AT" anywhere! 91v6 Toy sawzall special w/ twin turbo thrack-u-lators, 01 Taco4cy cream puff,85 220whp 5mge Supra,multiple FF Honda civics

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8555
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Re: Secective intake design
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26, 2004, 06:02:39 PM »
Jeff, Did you build the snorkel for water or dust? That would be torn off on the 1st run here in tree trail territory.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26, 2004, 06:19:21 PM »
That is pretty wild..

Doesn't the noise of the throttle drive you crazy?

This picture is weak,

but I relocated my air filter to the trunk of my MR2 when I was running my Supercharged engine and there is a tunnel that leads from the cab back to the rear trunk. Well, I thought it was cool at first and then it was very annoying. A constant whistling noise who's pitch would change with any change in thottle position drove me crazy...

I know your hose is long and hopefully the sound is deadened, but I was just wondering how that is-

BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2004, 06:21:57 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #3 on: Jun 26, 2004, 06:29:24 PM »
why didnīt you just put it inside the truck behind the dash???
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 27, 2004, 06:02:13 PM »
Thanks for the input. Its nice to not get flamed into oblivion just for being a newbie.Yes BigMike, its noisy, but not unbearably so. The hose is long enough to tone it down some. It is kinda handy as an engine "stethescope" too. When I'm done on the trail, I just swap in extra filter in the engine comp. and cap the hose. This is mostly a play vehicle anyway, to keep me from getting ambitious on the Taco. (my wife says she'll walk if i touch that one with a sawzal!) I was going to build sheetmetal shrouds, but I think I'm  going to re-route thru firewall, as suggested. I just need to figure out a path that is out of the way. Its a 3v, so there is not enough spare room in the engine comp. to hide a dead lemming. I want it to draw as high as possible. I've seen a couple tru-firewall designs with filter mounted under dash, but I've been in water over the doorsils in friends rigs and I have tube doors for the summer, thats not high enough. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks 
Its not "AT" anywhere! 91v6 Toy sawzall special w/ twin turbo thrack-u-lators, 01 Taco4cy cream puff,85 220whp 5mge Supra,multiple FF Honda civics

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 27, 2004, 06:05:37 PM »
Another quick comment: Roll up windows tight, crank AC for 15 min, instant white trash intercooler! :hahaha:

nightcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Member since May '02
  • aarrgghh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2004, 01:54:03 AM »
Another quick comment: Roll up windows tight, crank AC for 15 min, instant white trash intercooler! :hahaha:

:laugh:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2004, 01:58:49 AM »
Its nice to not get flamed into oblivion just for being a newbie.

I'm sorry man, I was just going off of personal experience, Im sure no one here meant to :flamer: ya

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 29, 2004, 10:39:34 AM »
That was not flaming, believe me. I meant that it was nice that I didn't get flamed here. Not to worry at all. This seems like a very cool and friendly forum.
« Last Edit: Jun 29, 2004, 02:02:39 PM by BigMike »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2004, 02:02:28 PM »
oh geeze :slap: <-- BigMike

[BigMike practices his reading skills] :working: [/BigMike practices his reading skills]

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2004, 02:45:01 PM »
 :yupyup: no worries. here's a couple more pics. This is how I run it on the street.

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2004, 04:10:45 PM »
Have you relocated or sealed the ECM? Sealed the distributor in any way? Sealed or moved other electronics?
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 29, 2004, 07:55:50 PM »
My  distributor is sealed w/silicone, same for ecu, which is in the glovebox.Still need to address fusebox. Suggestions/What else?

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 302
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since May '04
  • Toyota owns 51% of Daihatsu Motor Co, Ltd.
    • View Profile
snorkle
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:12:16 PM »
 :reg:I know that a lot of people hate snorkles but I have had two buds hydro locked.  I have had my fan throw up water into the K&N and it was all I could do to keep it running...had to be winched out of the river...open the doors to let the water out...took twenty minutes before it would run right.  I recently finished this:
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
snorkle parts
« Reply #14 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:14:43 PM »
The parts
1991 Daihatsu Rocky, 3RZ-fe, Marlin super heavey duty clutch and pressure plate, Marlin W56-C-HD, duals, Marlin twinstick, three link front with Fox AirShox, 35's, Toy axles, 5.29:1, ARB F&R etc.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »
front view while in progress and inside mount

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:19:45 PM »
pillar mount

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:21:28 PM »
inside of pillar

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:23:27 PM »
The only problem is that I am putting in a 3RZ in shortly and the intake is on the other side :smack:

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 01, 2004, 07:32:15 PM »
A 3RZ-E in a Daihatsu will kick some booty!

hessiankid31 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2004, 10:53:01 PM »
I like that design Diahatsu, very clean and professional looking installation. What is the inlet piece exactly, stove or dryer part maybe? I am going to update mine with all 2.5 or 3.0" aluminum piping. I just about wore my fingers to the bone today, sanding for a buddy who owns a shop with exhaust bending equipment and he will do the bends and welding for me. I really like the flexible tubing, but it is already getting trashed.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 01, 2004, 11:43:33 PM »
That is a Safari snorkle hood that a friend in Oz sent me.  I think that they are about $35.00 US plus shipping.  Safari makes full snorkles for just about everything except the Daihatsu Rocky but they do sell the hoods separatly.  The Rocky is called the Feroza over there and there is an Australian Rocky but it is quite a bit different with a turbo diesel.  The 4Runner is called a Surf and the Tacos and pickups are called Hilux's.  There web site is:  http://www.safari4x4.com.au/  That's probably more about stove and dryer parts than you wanted to know.

The 3" mandrel bends that I used came from JC Whitney and then I just bought some straight 3" pipe from a muffler shop locally.  The two 45*'s are aluminized steel and the 90* is stainless.  I have a welder but am not one.  It's a MIG and I am just learning.  The biggest help was to get a good adjustable auto darkening helmet so that I can actually see the puddle.

Make sure that your buddy has a mandrel bender otherwise it will look like this with compression bends.  The three inch really wrinkles.

FVF_SAS

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Possum, It's what's For dinner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 08, 2004, 01:31:57 PM »
White-trash intercooler - Brilliant  :bowdown:

Take 'er to the trailer
"Bush is real terrorist" - my arse.

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jul 08, 2004, 07:43:59 PM »
front view while in progress and inside mount

Anyboby notice the Mad Scientist crap inthe background?  You related to Eli Tesla? :headscratch:
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 08, 2004, 07:51:57 PM »
Tesla was an amazing guy!

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 08, 2004, 11:46:40 PM »
Yup I caught the mad scientist type stuff.  Pretty cool.  Tesla was a freaking genius!  He did some sick stuff with electricity, who would have thought of just sinding it through the air instead of by power line?  I cant remember where to find it but I used to have a bunch of articles and books on him.  Killer stuff.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
Mad Scientist Crap
« Reply #26 on: Jul 09, 2004, 04:25:05 AM »
That stuff is my winter hobby when I can't get out to go wheeling, fishing and camping.  The bigger coil has got somewhat out of hand for my little apartment and sends out five foot lightning bolts in all directions...really freaks the neighbors out :shocking:  I got a small 14,400V pole distribution transformer (like on telephone poles) that will boost it to about twelve feet.  I can't use that untill I can move so I am building the smaller one and still tweeking the bigger one.  I would like to build one out of vacuum tubes.  I don't have an electronics background at all and it is just self study.  Just like to build wierd stuff.  You can't buy parts for these things at Radio Shack so I've been dumpster diving, metal salvage yards, hardware stores and junk yards...I guess that I like that too.

toyhatsu

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jul 09, 2004, 04:26:50 AM »
PS:

I do my welding in the kitchen :beerchug: and a pic of my room mate :greengrin:
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2004, 05:04:32 AM by toyhatsu »