Author Topic: Ever seen anything like this?  (Read 2196 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Ever seen anything like this?
« on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:17:51 AM »
My co-worker, Anthony, came to me with this.

The care is a 2008 G6 with 17” wheels w/ low profile 45 series tires, there was 28 psi in the tire at the time of puncture. 

It was being driven from Ohio to Orlando and it got this puncture on the way here.

It's the passenger side front tire. Anthony said there is a small hole about dead center in the tire but then there is this big exit hole coming out the rim! Does anyone have any idea how this could have happened?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Ever seen anything like this?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:23:25 AM »
OUCH,  yea   ive seen it before  when  cars'  mallcrawlers  with those ultra low profile  tires  hit  something  like a BIG  pothole, the dont have enough tire  to absorb  the  shock  so the wheel itself is forced to  :headshake:

even on a sports car  i would never run anytrhing less than a  50

my Celica  i had  225-50-14's  on the back  and 215-50-14's on the front

although  for the price,   225-60-14's  would be  a more logical choice
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:24:21 AM »
looking i would guess those are 255/45/17's  :headshake:

meaning  they are  from road to wheel maybe 3 inches :yikes:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:28:30 AM »
looking i would guess those are 255/45/17's  :headshake:

meaning  they are  from road to wheel maybe 3 inches :yikes:

Then could running over a big rock, say, take a big chuck out of it like that?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 924
  • Female Posts: 415
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:40:09 AM »
OK so where is the small hole in the tire in relation to the big blowout in the rim?  When you say dead center does that mean the small hole in the tire is dead center in relation to the big hole in the rim?  If that's the case I'd have to go with Glen's theory.  I don't know how a bullet would be able to go perfectly straight into a moving tire and come out at the exact same angle in the rim.  We need the Myth Busters guys!   :eye:
RIP Kyle, we love and miss you man.  :smooch:
thanks for the smooch I miss you too !  :yesnod:

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:44:09 AM »
Also, did he make it to his destination before discovering this?  Or did the car start to handle funny so he pulled over and discovered it?  I'm assuming he didn't hear or feel anything or he wouldn't be wondering how it happened?  :dunno:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:47:13 AM »
I am relating the shoutbox conversation and info here to my co-workers:

From Jonathan (Toyota owner :haha: ):

I have a hard believing that the pressure created within the tire, from hitting an object, would be so much that it would create such a huge hole in an aluminum alloy rim; it’s just doesn’t make sense.  The tire should’ve exploded, flopped around ‘til it just came off the rim if anything.

If the statement IS true, then the rim was poorly made (hurray American quality) and the pressure hit a weak spot on the rim and did that.

My two cents.

From Anthony:

I agree with Jonathan here.  I have a really hard time grasping the idea that the rim is weaker than the sidewall of the tire.  A big pot hole I could see cracking or bending the rim.  I could even see hitting one just right to where you could rip the rim off the rim.

Also, the hole in the tire is too small for rebar.  It would have to be the size of a nail at best.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
Also, did he make it to his destination before discovering this?  Or did the car start to handle funny so he pulled over and discovered it?  I'm assuming he didn't hear or feel anything or he wouldn't be wondering how it happened?  :dunno:

Yeah, car started handling funny and he pulled over. It was actually his future father-in-law that was driving it from Ohio. And his fiance got the on-star call that the tire pressure was low :rofl:
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2008, 11:09:30 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:52:01 AM »
Then could running over a big rock, say, take a big chuck out of it like that?
:yesnod:

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »
I am relating the shoutbox conversation and info here to my co-workers:

From Jonathan (Toyota owner :haha: ):
I have a hard believing that the pressure created within the tire, from hitting an object, would be so much that it would create such a huge hole in an aluminum alloy rim; it’s just doesn’t make sense.  The tire should’ve exploded, flopped around ‘til it just came off the rim if anything.

If the statement IS true, then the rim was poorly made (hurray American quality) and the pressure hit a weak spot on the rim and did that.

My two cents.

yes  a poorly made, aftermarket  CAST alum rim,  i highly doubt  someone  was  outy  shooting a  hi power  rifle,  shooting at tires

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:08:49 AM »
We need the Myth Busters guys!   :eye:

MYTHBUSTERS!  :woohoo:

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »
More from Anthony:

Well the rim isn’t aftermarket.  We’re talking about a brand new 2008 Pontiac G6 with only 350 miles on it.  If it’s true the rim is weak and poorly made than how could I prove it?  At that point we’re talking about highway safety board complaints and legal matters for my monetary loss.

Where is the Mammoth?

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2008, 11:34:48 AM »
More conspiracy theories :haha:

BTW, don’t put off the idea that someone wasn’t out in that area shooting out tires.  There was a copy-cat “D.C. sniper” from that area of West Virginia where the blow-out happened.  Also, that same stretch of road is prone to road hazard to the point where anyone traveling it had increased insurance premiums due to the high number of claims there.  I’d like to get more info on those claims, though.

Where is the Mammoth?

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2008, 12:41:54 PM »
Well I spent the rest of the day searching the net for anything like this and couldn't find a single thing!  I could be totally blonde, and I don't know anything about wheels, but from what I read, it doesn't even seem like aluminum alloy should break and splinter like that, especially from a bullet? 

At any rate, he should definitely take it to a reputable garage to have it looked at and get their opinion.  Can't hurt to call Pontiac as well to report it after having it checked out.  You never know, it could turn into a major recall if they have enough reports of the wheels being easily damaged so badly.

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2008, 02:18:22 PM »
Thanks MPA, Anthony had tried doing some research on the web as well.
I'll forward this to him.

Where is the Mammoth?

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2008, 03:24:05 PM »
The only time I have ever seen anything like this before was, when a fella was offroad, in a creek bed. He got a rock wedged between his wheel and the caliper on his tacoma. It wedged in so hard it broke out the wheel, causing the tire to go flat. He didn't even notice till he got stuck, thats where I came in.

The wheel broke out in a simmular manner, and thats the only reason I relate both inncodents. I think he must have hit something, pretty hard. It shurely must have been noticable. :dunno:
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
And that there is why steel wheels are still a good idea...

Or at least ones not made in China where they lie lie LIE about everything.  It was probably made from recycled beer cans.  No, literally.

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:37:29 PM »
do you see how thin that  is :yikes:   yes  i still say  he hit something in the road,  a round rock the size  of a baseball  could have done that

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
Quote from: Anthony
Well the rim isn’t aftermarket.  We’re talking about a brand new 2008 Pontiac G6 with only 350 miles on it.  If it’s true the rim is weak and poorly made than how could I prove it?  At that point we’re talking about highway safety board complaints and legal matters for my monetary loss.

time for a  factory recall,  that rim is WAY  to thin/flimsy

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2008, 07:47:24 PM »
i saw that a lot on all sorts of cars when i was a tire monkey... the problem is no sidewall and too much air pressure in the tires.... and sadly, idiot drivers....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:30:06 AM »
i saw that a lot on all sorts of cars when i was a tire monkey... the problem is no sidewall and too much air pressure in the tires.... and sadly, idiot drivers....

You callin my co-workers future father-in-law an idiot? :idiot: BTW- this happened in the middle of the night on the interstate. It was pitch black out.

If you read the information, the tire pressure was not too high, if anything it was a bit too low, 28 psi. He said that was why they got the on-star call, because the tire pressure was low, not because of the blowout. 

Where is the Mammoth?

JanMarie13

• Queen Cookie Monster
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Mmm....Tacos!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:18:00 AM »
Holy poop.....low profile tires with low air pressure....that's darn near like riding on the rim.  add a long drive on the interstate and I guess this is what happens  :dunno:

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:49:21 AM »
Holy poop.....low profile tires with low air pressure....that's darn near like riding on the rim.  add a long drive on the interstate and I guess this is what happens  :dunno:

Yup, I could definetly see now if he ran over anything harder then the rim this could have happened. but do you still think it is more the case of a defective or poorly manufactured rim?

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:24:23 AM »
Yup, I could definetly see now if he ran over anything harder then the rim this could have happened. but do you still think it is more the case of a defective or poorly manufactured rim?
poorly made and designed,

PA_taco_13

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 309
  • Member since Dec '05
  • PA Muddin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
Yep I agree with Glen, I still think the rim itself is shoddy and should be reported to Pontiac.  If that's their "standard" then that's good to know (note to self: don't buy Pontiac).  And if not, then they need to know that ones this shoddy are floating around out there.

What bothers me the most is that this much damage happened and it wasn't immediately noticeable, i.e. to hit something and do that much damage should have made such a noise and/or crash that the guy woulda went "WTF???"  But for it to only be noticeable due to poor handling.....yowsa.  I don't like that at all.

Edit: woopsie...this is Jan on Brian's name again so I could play in the arcade  :yupyup:
learn the hard way 

"my dixie wrecked"

east coast crawler