Author Topic: Dec 29th Bald Mtn Snow Run with 4X4Him.com group  (Read 2189 times)

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Dec 29th Bald Mtn Snow Run with 4X4Him.com group
« on: Jan 05, 2008, 11:03:20 AM »
I am 1 week late at these updates, but here it goes!

A sister thread to this one may be found on the 4X4Him.com forum through the following URL:
Snow Run December 29-30

I don't have a whole lot of pictures. It was a lot of fun despite the fact we never even made it to the green gate!

Here I am with BirdDog meeting at the Park-n-Ride at the 4-Lanes, 8:30am. I drove Bevin's (blane525) 1985 3RZ truck since mine is under the knife:

We had a decent group, and later we caught up with more on the trail. Maybe 6-12 rigs total.

Here I am the first one to get stuck :tease: Actually I was just showing to all the jeeps out there what they look like when they get stuck :gap:

At first I didn't understand how I got stuck so easily. Bevin's truck works really well... Later I discovered that the rear e-locker was not engaged for most of the day.

Here a member from the 4X4Him club gets stuck right after me:

Both BirdDog and I had to strap together to get him out:

It wasn't long until we caught up with a group of Cherokees who had been blazing the trail all morning long:

It turns out that they had been in the same spot all morning and were making really, really slow progress. The snow was very deep and very light. It was fluffy, it had no bottom to it. Once you sink in, you are in 2-3 feet and are a goner.

Here Stacy (55crawler), who is a classmate of mine, gets stuck trying to pass on the left to help break trail.
She had been busting my chops all morning because my Yota was the first rig to get stuck. Ha, jokes on her :yupyup:

Here is where we spent most of our day at, in the same spot:

Rig after rig attempted to break trail and everyone kept getting denied. Good thing we brought plenty of shovels:

Here is an example of just how deep the snow is, these are 37x12.50 Interco TrXus MT at 4psi:

Yeah, it was deeeeeeeep:

Here is the line of rigs behind us who choose to stay on packed snow:

Ed from the 4WD Club of Fresno was in attendance with his International C1300. His 36.5" Irocs were no match for this light snow:

His truck was a BEAST, it was going anywhere it wanted to...... Until it broke its passengers front axle! It took numerous pull lines to get him out of this one!

When we had all but given up, this cool Imp showed up:

I keep telling everyone that we need to get the Snow tracks kit for our rigs, and man, this thing was awesome in the snow. He went straight up a 3' berm after our hellos and goodbyes and was out of sight

Powered by a V4 Ford engine, it was pretty awesome!

And that was about it. Here I am trying my best to get flexed out on the snow. I miss rocks!

If you know rock creek road well enough, I would say we were between Bald Mtn trail head and Rock Creek river. I don't think it was much furtherer to go, but even if we had made the green gate, we would never have made it up the first off camber hill beyond it.

We will be running Bald Mtn on the 20th, so more to come! :driving:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
Mike you need to post some of the video's of you driving it like you stole it.  :thumbs:
You know the fish tail stuff & some of the jumps. You were getting a couple feet of air.  :yikes:

Bevin really needs to see how fast his truck is in the snow.

toyotajoe

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 268
  • Member since Aug '03
  • IM HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT A LONG TIME
    • View Profile
Nice pics and looks fun. I cant wait till next weekend to play in the snow.
04 F-350 towing my 84 x-cab on 37's

I would rather put ifs on my truck than buy from Trail Gear

88_Pathy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 65
  • Male Posts: 1,251
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Raised suspension
    • View Profile
Wow super deep.

lucky7

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 303
  • Male Posts: 778
  • Member since Sep '07
  • CAN'T POLISH A TURD!
    • View Profile
I heard they had closed bald but someone must have heard wrong but there's a good 2+' now sounds fun
never made it to the top in the snow before usualy get denied at the wash out . : :cool:

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
 :drool:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved