Author Topic: Rattle can red 84 build thread. Now with more Questions....  (Read 4080 times)

844x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 134
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Hey guys 84 std cab truck 33x10's, 5.29's, detroit rear and lockright up front.  Bed bobbed 12" stock carb motor, stock tranny and transfer case.  I have herculiner'ed the cab floor and the bed and added rocksliders I built.  I will very soon be putting on rear chevy springs and building a rear bumper.  I will post pics soon. 

I will need front springs soon after doing my chevy rears.  So, are there any decent lift springs for the front that will bolt into the stock location?  Reason is I need some front lift but I do not have enough $$ to do crossover steering and the modifications necessary to put in Marlins front springs that move the axle forward about 1".  Any suggestions??
« Last Edit: Apr 10, 2008, 11:01:38 AM by 844x4 »
It takes a long time to achieve "instant" success.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
:worthless:

someone had to say it.

sounds like a fun project.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

jprinehart84

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Dec '07
  • I DID WAHT!!!
    • View Profile
yeah lets see some pics.... i need some motivation

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
:worthless:

Haha!  Looks who's talking LOL!!!

Well I finally got electricity back after Fridays Storm!  So I haven't had time to take any new pics, but here are a few of the bed bob.  Soon I will post up some of the rocksliders and the Herculiner!

Heres the bed being bobbed

Almost finished..

On the trail..

Hopefully this weekend I can pull the bed and start installing my 63" Chevies!!  Then I will paint the rear half of the frame and raise my gas tank for a bit more clearance!!
More pics to follow.

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Here are a couple more pics.

My wife helping me remove the "tarboard" from the floor before adding the herculiner.

Then the torch used to help remove it FIRE!! haha!!

Then a pic of my modified Smittybilt bumper.  Just removed part of the bottom bart, but I think it looks a lot better.  I got the idea from a few other buildups I've seen on here.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
looking good!

also i cant do much work on my truck becasue its kinda snowed in behind my house. like buried enough thats it not gonna move for awhile.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
You should post up some pics on your build thread of how buried it is!!  I'd like to see that!

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
So this weekend the bed is coming off and I will make my bumper.  After that I will attempt to install my 63" springs.  Since my bed bob cut the frame directly behind the rear shackles, I'm left with a bit of a dilema.  I can't move them back 4 inches....And a double shackle really has nothing to fold up against. 
I was thinking of building the bumper so that I extend the frame with 2x2 as a mount for my bumper.  Should I trust that enough to actually move the mounts back onto it?  Or should I just let the double shackles fold up against it?  I do plan on gusseting the mounts.....

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
I see no reason you couldnt mount your shocks to that?   Inless your not comfortable with your fab/weld skills, Then just having the shackle hit it shouldnt be any big deal.
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Yeah I think we'll be ok.  I'm going to try and use the double shackle first and if I don't like how it turns out I'll move the mount. 

So today I yanked the bed and removed the gas tank.  Looks like the fuel lines need to be replaced pretty bad anyways.  I might try to raise the tank up a bit while I have the room and I'll paint the rear of the frame up as well.  So tomorrow should be the beginning of my bumper fab.  Then I'll get going on the spring swap!  Bumper is nothing fancy just some 2x4 steel but it should look nice with a pair of D rings on it.

I'll post some pics as I make some more headway...

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Well just a little update. 

I know I don't have any pics of this, but I have been pretty lazy about uploading them.  I will try to post them up soon. 

I finished fabbing my rear bumper, the double shackles will rest against the mounts.  I will also finish my 63" spring swap this weekend I'm half done and only need to weld up the left side now.  I'm hoping to get lots of flex out of it!  After thats done I will repaint the rear half of the frame and put back the gas tank along with new fuel lines then put the bed back on!  Hopefully by sunday it should be ready for the road again!!  But we'll see.

Pics to come shortly...

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Ok pics as promised:

First got some 2x6 and shaped the ends with chop saw

Closed off the ends with some 3/16 plate

some d rings

welded up to the frame

Painted up

Now need to finish springs and paint rear of frame and reinstall gas tank and bed.

skipnrocks

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 2,363
  • Member since Mar '06
  • DUDE YOU DID WHAT?
    • View Profile
Looks sharp there all painted up!
Life is too short!!!   Do something with it!!!

WILLYNILLY
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=23944.new#new

SHSTL_82

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
solid rear bumper...i need to fab on up right quick.
check out my band if you like METAL

myspace.com/SHSTL

82 sb, 35 BFG M/T, Locked, lifted and 10 different colors.

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Yeah the bumper was pretty easy to make.  I'd say about 3 hours total fab time, but I spread it out over a few days when I had a chance to get in the garage.  Can't wait to hook up a tow rope and try it out!! 

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Ok finished the springs adn painted the rear of the frame this weekend.  Decided not to mess with trying to raise the tank since other stuff is just as low.  But I was able to replace the fuel lines.  Now I just need to get the bed back on and try out the new springs!!  Looks like a trip to Prairie City is in my near future!

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
truck is looking good man.  :beer: hey on that rear bumper i would add in a few gussets so when ya hook the rope up and try it out it wont rip off.! by the looks of it if you got any uneven force on it ( up or down) it will bend.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I was thinking I might have to do that.  I'll look at it tonight.  Thanks for the tip.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
truck is looking good man.  :beer: hey on that rear bumper i would add in a few gussets so when ya hook the rope up and try it out it wont rip off.! by the looks of it if you got any uneven force on it ( up or down) it will bend.
x2...for sure man
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Well haven't posted up any new pics, yet. 
But got the truck painted, decided on red and put in a new tranny wit 4.7 gears.
When I was jacking up the truck I could see the rear has great flex with the new springs, but the front which is somewhat stock with basic j arm steering sucks.  Is there anything I can do to increase the fronts flex ithout switching to crossover steering?  Or should I just wait to get enough $$ to do the crossover steering.  Also I seem to be having trouble getting a front bumper with winch mount that will look good with my 3" body lift.  Any suggestions?

More pics soon....

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
nice choice on color... :bling:

remove body lift? :dunno:

and :worthless:

check my thread pregnant dog, theres pics now.... :gap:

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
[img width= height=]http://a105.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/12/m_894ff1d9b49aa81d1e41d55855b96508.jpg[/img]

There's the red truck pic to hold you over till I take more shots.....

Now for the body lift...Its kind of hard to remove since I welded up my rocksliders and rear bumper to the frame.  So removing the body lift would mean cutting and re-welding those 3 things.  So I would like to avaoid that if at all possible.

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
dude. bro. its supposed to be VIPER RED!!! c'mon! get it right next time!! pic is tiny, but it looks decent, hard to tell in the low light condition though... :rofl2:

844x4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
I mounted my new front bumper with winch mount, now I need a winch! Also finally trimmed my inner bed panels to fit my bobbed bed and mounted up my tool box!  Also put in 4.7 transfer case. 

I have been looing at getting a better front spring set up.
Read up on Wrangler springs here and PBB but am still a little confused.
From what I have read using Wrangler 2.5" lift springs looks pretty good since they give lift and are flexy.  And since putting 63's in the rear with double shackles they way out extend the capabilities of my front end.

From what I understand I don't need to make any modifications when installing Wranglers and they will bolt right in?  Is that correct?
The reason I ask is I can't afford highsteer yet and I don't really plan on moving the axle forward.  Any verification on this would be greatly appreciated.

Here is a pic of the bumper:

[img width= height=]http://a62.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/5/l_94102a2fd6aa6f199b3a52d4fa3413a5.jpg[/img]

« Last Edit: Apr 11, 2008, 06:52:30 PM by 844x4 »