Author Topic: water dumping into over flow please help  (Read 3548 times)

Bs85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 25
  • Male Posts: 166
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Re: water dumping into over flow please help
« Reply #30 on: Jan 13, 2008, 06:15:56 PM »
ok to keep this thread going i have a question... yesterday my truck started to overheat in the mcdonalds drive thru so i shut it off and let it cool down for a while and then drove it home and it ran 200 degrees all the way home which is fine so this morning i go outside to put some antifreeze in it because i figured it must have leeked out or somethin which caused it to overheat and it didnt take much fluid so i decided to check my oil too and it was milky like lots of water was in there, so i figured i had a blown head gasket cuz i started it up and let it run for a while and then shut it off and and it blew the overflow cap off so it was building pressure in there. so i pulled the head and gasket and the gasket doesnt even look blown???  i dunno what else would cause this pressure in there?? and water in the oil??? cracked head or block maybe i dunno...

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 13, 2008, 07:19:27 PM »
When you pulled the head off, normally there will be carbon buildup on the top of the piston, or some other sign of use. Was there one or more cyl's that seemed to be cleaner than the rest? this would signify that water  (small amounts) was being introduced into the cyl. with the air/fuel mixture. and when the seal is lost, it doesn't take a very large hole for the burned gasses to go thru. Also, this could signify a cracked head. Have it checked.

Another thing, was there oil droplets in the radiator? If there was, then you had a cross between the pressurized oil passage and the water jacket. running, the oil will push into the water, when you shut it off, the pressurized water will push back into the oil galley.
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

ROCKO [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -49
  • Male Posts: 743
  • Member since Sep '07
  • NOR-CAL WHEELIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2008, 09:23:06 AM »
probly blown head gasket or cracked head

i got my problem fit over the weekend.... glen asked if my radiator was full of junk so i checked and oh boy was it.... got a new 3 row radiator all new hoses new fan clutch (should of did electric) so smog piece that costed $400.00 added some water wetter to the anti-freeze runs alot cooler and also my heater started working  :best: i blew the heater core out with water from both inlet and outlet....we will see what happens this weekend
thanks for everybodys help and im glad i did not have a blown gasket....
THANKS GLEN :thumbs:

JUST ANOTHER ROCK CRAWLER....
with a lot of good stuff

F@$K CANCER

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
could be the timing chain cover too. the chain  could have wore through the cover and then the water jackets.
lets not and say we did.

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:11:30 PM »
Milky oil means you're getting water and or gasoline in it(quick smell will verify antifreeze or gasoline).   Oh - water builds pressure nicely in all the wrong places, especially if it's turning into steam inside the block's various internal passages.

Gasoline smell means it's above the cylinders/the head and the gas/water combination is draining slowly into the lower block past the rings.  110% bad gasket in that case.   And, will likely eat the old gaskets out in short order - compressed steam , even a small amount of it is a fantastic solvent.  The first time this happened to me a few years ago, it went from "I think I have a problem" to dead engine in about a week. 

If it's just watery, then it's not *quite* as bad(still, something's blown or sure with your truck)

P.S. I'd get working on this asap - and check to see if the cylinders are wet/have water in them, because sitting water in the cylinders can cause a world of ills quickly.

P.P.S. Don't run it.  When it goes dry, you'll have 0 viscosity oil(guess where the water went) and the temps will also skyrocket and warp the head for sure.
« Last Edit: Jan 14, 2008, 05:19:40 PM by Plekto »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2008, 05:50:38 PM »
so i pulled the head and gasket and the gasket doesnt even look blown??? i dunno what else would cause this pressure in there?? and water in the oil??? cracked head or block maybe i dunno...
take a  pic of the gasket,  ive seen them blow  and  only  be  a place the size  of a hair
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SocalWheeler71

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 269
  • Member since Nov '07
  • Trail rig is back up and running... yay trail rig!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 15, 2008, 11:42:03 AM »
I've seen a 22RE head crack inside the exhaust port. Didn't steam out the exhaust that much either.

abriel68

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
  • 85 4runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Aug 19, 2008, 11:57:42 PM »
i actually had the same question, i read the thread i actually have this problem with my car, its a 1996 mits eclipse, just got a brand new radiator, water pump, but it tends to build up pressure in my overfill and then dumps it out, then i get less coolant in my radiator causing my car to overheat, it is an electric fan and i was thinking that it might not be kicking in as often so that may be the problem, could it be just a new radiator cap? if you guys can help me out that'd be terrific. i'll try the heater core flush. that may be the prollem!??

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Aug 19, 2008, 11:59:55 PM »
i actually had the same question, i read the thread i actually have this problem with my car, its a 1996 mits eclipse, just got a brand new radiator, water pump, but it tends to build up pressure in my overfill and then dumps it out, then i get less coolant in my radiator causing my car to overheat, it is an electric fan and i was thinking that it might not be kicking in as often so that may be the problem, could it be just a new radiator cap? if you guys can help me out that'd be terrific. i'll try the heater core flush. that may be the prollem!??

it could be the radiator cap, or the thermostat, or a bad radiator, or a bad fan, or ...........
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

abriel68

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '07
  • 85 4runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Aug 20, 2008, 12:06:25 AM »
well i have new all except for radiator cap, but would that be the whole problem that causes pressure to build up into the over flow? the fan works and i hear it kick in while i drive, do you think the heater core mite be the problem? cuz i havent changed that or flushed that at all. seriously like a month old radiator. if the radiator cap isnt holding back the pressure with a good seal do you think that could be why the water is pressureizing in the over flow?

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #40 on: Aug 20, 2008, 01:08:20 AM »
http://www.rockprod.com/

best gaskets ive ever bought and used. well worth 36 bucks for the entire 22RE set. from the head up.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #41 on: Aug 20, 2008, 08:32:22 AM »
I'd try the radiator cap before anything else. The heater core would not cause that to happen even if it were clogged it is not an important part of the cooling system. Also make sure to get all the air out an air bubble can slow movement causing it to heat up. Also do not remove the thermostat it is there for a reason, removing or altering it could cause the reverse to happen and you could actually move water through the radiator to fast for it to be cooled.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you